Most expensive

2»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Are wedding rings expensive?

I always thought the wedding ring was a fairly inexpensive simple gold band, usually bought for a fraction of the engagement or eternity ring?

IIRC mine was only about £80, have things changed dramatically in 10 years?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

I always thought the wedding ring was a fairly inexpensive simple gold band, usually bought for a fraction of the engagement or eternity ring?

My wedding ring was engraved platinum. Insurance value at purchase was £1250, this was 8 years ago.

Not actually worn since it Mrs B walked out some time back of course but it's still hiding somewhere.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173

Oh in money terms they;re cheap, but you try losing one and see what it actually costs you

When I was a nipper we had the whole school out looking for a teacher's wedding ring that he'd lost on the football field. Twas found by I.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411

Bit more than that now - gold has gone up in value as evidenced by Cash4Gold, etc. And my bike cost $425 in the late 90s, and is now pretty battered. Mind you, a replacement steel-framed bike would be a lot more these days as steel is now 'niche market'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    On the subject of wedding rings:

My titanium wedding band: £80

Wifes platinum engagement ring: £3400 paid (I know a guy that makes stuff for Theo Fennell, made the ring at cost price) - recently valued @ £7000 for insurance.

Wifes wedding band - platinum was about £200

Eternity ring - platinum and diamonds - circa £3500 paid

My watch was a prezzie when jnr was born....titanium Omega Seamaster 300 chronograph.....

Staggering, but it is the price of love....
  • rjsterry
    Wow, a lady of expensive tastes. That, or IT in Bristol pays far too well. Mrs RJS has a talent for picking the most expensive item in any shop window, but unfortunately, my salary isn't quite up to her tastes. She doesn't seem to hold it against me (that i know of).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:
    Wow, a lady of expensive tastes. That, or IT in Bristol pays far too well. Mrs RJS has a talent for picking the most expensive item in any shop window, but unfortunately, my salary isn't quite up to her tastes. She doesn't seem to hold it against me (that i know of).

hence I cycle to work!

Perma skint!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    rjsterry wrote:
    my salary isn't quite up to her tastes.

A successful man, earns more than his wife can spend

A successful woman, has found such a man
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

*grumble.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bike £250ish
    Ring £180 (if I can put a value on it - lost recently in the back garden, thank god for metal detectors! Had the silents for a week!)
    Clothing £20 (thank you Aldi)
    Company laptop £2000
    For everything else there is me - priceless

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gtvlusso
    The reason for asking:

I was checking with my home insurance regarding personal property and what I should insure seperately.

Turns out that we have been wandering about with half our stuff uninsured. Makes you think about what you wear day to day and what you have with you.

I guess for gals, earrings - every day item, could be an insurance risk. Watch, phone, wallet, keys and so on.

I also added up the cost of my cycling kit; even the cheap stuff: £475 in total + bike.

If you broke the bike down to component value....jeez, I would hate to think!
  • rjsterry
    snooks wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

In my line of work it seems to be very often the lady spending the husband/partner's money, and on that test, they are all failures. Although this is hardly surprising given what one of my colleagues was just looking at: a lighting website on which you could view fittings categorised by cost: £0-£10,000, £10,000-£20,000 and £80,000-90,000 (admittedly only one item in this last category, a 24 carat gold version of the famous Louis Poulsen Artichoke fitting.)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    THREE GEES on a watch?

Yeah I guess they can be expensive, but bloody hell - if you put it into perspective.

Ti ring ftw though.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

My wedding ring was engraved platinum. Insurance value at purchase was £1250, this was 8 years ago.

Not actually worn since it Mrs B walked out some time back of course but it's still hiding somewhere.

Find it, sell it, new bike 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Valy wrote:
    THREE GEES on a watch?

Time is money.