Most expensive

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
On this bright Monday Morning where my work world has immediately turned to sh1te, after being called about work stuff all day Sunday (management escalations....), I would like to think about bike based things....

So, what the most expensive item that you commute with?

Could be:

Your bike
Your kit
Jewellery
Work laptop
Phone
Ego
cycling shoes

The most expensive thing I own that I commute with is my watch @ £3k. Otherwise, my iPhone was free and I only occasionally carry my work laptop....

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    My wedding ring

Cost more than my bike and is utterly precious and irreplaceable

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    On this bright Monday Morning where my work world has immediately turned to sh1te, after being called about work stuff all day Sunday (management escalations....), I would like to think about bike based things....

So, what the most expensive item that you commute with?

Could be:

Your bike
    Your kit
    Jewellery
    Work laptop
    Phone
    Ego
    cycling shoes

The most expensive thing I own that I commute with is my watch @ £3k. Otherwise, my iPhone was free and I only occasionally carry my work laptop....

Sell it - Buy some wheels! :D
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    SecretSam wrote:
    My wedding ring

Same here. Top tip: as the weather gets colder, your fingers shrink a little, so make sure it doesn't fall off as you are cycling as mine did once. Luckily I managed to stop and find it in the dark (still not sure how), but I take mine off and put it in a zip-up pocket unless I've got full finger gloves on.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited October 2010
    Most expensive item, bar my bike (599) its my Gore Path II jacket (120), Ortlieb bags and rack are about the same combined, then wheels are very close (100). If you count all lights as one item they would be the most (140). Not to forget the iPhone, not sure what the retail on that is, £350?

Looking at my wiggle account, I have scarily spent 2x the cost of my bike on accessories in the last year, not accounting for other purchases at other stores. On a plus side, its still cheaper than the train (£2,228.00)! :lol:
  • My front tooth......about £3.5k to get it replaced.
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • probably my iphone, the bike is a hack so worth very little, and I don't have a watch etc.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    My wedding ring

Same here. Top tip: as the weather gets colder, your fingers shrink a little, so make sure it doesn't fall off as you are cycling as mine did once. Luckily I managed to stop and find it in the dark (still not sure how), but I take mine off and put it in a zip-up pocket unless I've got full finger gloves on.
    This. My dad lost his when windsurfing. He gave himself a harder time than my mum did.

Most precious thing? Me. The rest is just stuff*.

* I don't commute in my nice castelli stuff. heehee
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    My Brompton retailed at nearly £1000 with all the bits, but thanks to C2W I didn't pay as much as that. I carry 2 Blackberrys, don't know what they retail at, a £120 Ortlieb Office Bag 2 (sometimes), about £180 worth of lights, a £250 EEEpc. My watch cost £15 or so :D
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Well, it goes without saying that the biking stuff isn't cheap:

£1000 - commuting bike
    £350 - lights
    £400 - commuting clothing
    £400 - posh phone

But one thing that would annoy me loads if I lost them, would be my keys. There are about 15 important keys on that ring, so it'd probably cost about £150 to get them all re-cut and loads of hassle.

Oh, I almost forgot, I take my son to nursery on the way to work (nice Co-Pilot Limo child seat) and he's worth more than the whole universe !!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    BG2000 wrote:
    Well, it goes without saying that the biking stuff isn't cheap:

£1000 - commuting bike
    £350 - lights
    £400 - commuting clothing
    £400 - posh phone

But one thing that would annoy me loads if I lost them, would be my keys. There are about 15 important keys on that ring, so it'd probably cost about £150 to get them all re-cut and loads of hassle.

Oh, I almost forgot, I take my son to nursery on the way to work (nice Co-Pilot Limo child seat) and he's worth more than the whole universe !!

And you didn't edit your post to put your son first :twisted: :) Afterthought? :wink:
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Otherwise, my iPhone was free

Is that free in that it is a work phone or free apart from the fact that you pay £30-£60+ per month on a two year contract?
  • Bike, easy. Frameset (again, easy) if pedantic.

But in terms of utility:cost, my specs. My prescription (now) costs a small fortune, they take what seems like ages to make, and I can't get much work done without them.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • 1) Bike
    2) Blackberry
    3) Work laptop. May be worth more than the Blackberry but performs worse so ranked it 3rd!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    1. Bike (if road). About £1000

2=. Other bike kit, lights and stuff. Few hundred quid.
    2=. Phone. Few hundred quid.
    2=. Bike (if fixed). Few hundred quid.
    2=. Work clothes. Few hundred quid.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Otherwise, my iPhone was free

Is that free in that it is a work phone or free apart from the fact that you pay £30-£60+ per month on a two year contract?

Was given it at old job (3gs) and just put new work sim in it....I had it cheekily unlocked too.
  • Coming soon to Commuting Chat:

Thread to tell everyone which fellow poster you just mugged.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Coming soon to Commuting Chat:

Thread to tell everyone which fellow poster you just mugged.

in that case I cycle naked on one of these
    Hat + Beard
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Bike definitely. If we're excepting ourselves, that is.

I have nothing else of any value that I take with me.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Usually my laptop

Tomorrow might it be my camera body, then laptop, then camera lens
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Bike £400 and thats pretty much it.

Stopped wearing my wedding ring a couple of years ago, don't get on with them.

Phone is cheap, clothes are mainly aldi/lidl. I do have a gore path jacket but I don't wear it often. My regular helmet is a Met Sine Thesis which would cost a bit to replace but I wouldn't have another so no great shakes.

Pauper me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Definitely the bike (about £570), everything else I carry is worth jack sh!t. Watch - about £60-70, rucksack £30, work clothes probably about £40, phone - free etc. I don't carry laptops and other electronics. The next most expensive things(s) is my cycling clothes - probably around £100 if I include the SPD shoes and helmet etc
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited October 2010
    Bike.

Don't have a wedding ring; don't get on with them so I got a watch instead but in financial terms that's not worth a lot as we both earned a lot less then back then.

Bike is probably followed by my phone or garmin and after that, oddly, my wallet (the wallet itself, not the contents of it).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • My quads would be worth a fortune both in terms of power and looks; but 1) I'm not willing to sell them and 2) they are not easily removable (unless I didn't want them put back).

:shock:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    today probably my fixie but then it depends on whether i can classify clothing that i am wearing as one item.
  • Depends what I commute on.

If it's the FG, then my watch, or perhaps my phone.

If it's the maxima, then, well.

If I put the maxima in my car then it's still the most expensive thing I'm carrying.

• gtvlusso
    Hmm - interesting!

So, in allot of cases it is the bike - but some cases it could be something that you don't even think about:

Watch, phone, jewellery even cycling kit!

Quite incredible how much we spend on this cycling malarkey!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Depends what I commute on.

If it's the FG, then my watch, or perhaps my phone.

If it's the maxima, then, well.

If I put the maxima in my car then it's still the most expensive thing I'm carrying.

Ah, forgot about my watch :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Quite incredible how much we spend on this cycling malarkey!

This was brought home to me a few years ago when a thief sneaked into my office one lunchtime and helped himself to my courier bag and its contents.

All the stuff that I would have guessed was valuable - wallet, phone, specs - was on me, so that was fine. But it was autumn, and I was carrying pretty much a second kit in my bag for the temperature swings during the day (including a nice Gore goretex winter jacket with removable sleeves). Plus miscellaneous gloves, lights, socks, tools, inners, and so on. And the (Timbuk2) bag itself.

What I thought would be about £100-£150 to replace came in at the thick end of £600, and went on the household insurance. Ouch.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Security ID, if I forget it, I'm not allowed in and I've lost a days pay. Bike's a hack, no mobile, no watch, clothes Primark and sandwiches home made :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    1) bike (mtb+accessories = £1k; road = £2k)
    2) garmin 705 (£300ish)
    3) phone (£10, including £5 of credit)