You know that black stuff that appears in camel backs?

ivancarlos
ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
edited October 2010 in MTB general
More specifically in the drinking tube. Presumably a mould of sorts - does it do you any harm?
I have pain!

Comments

• I havent died yet and Its been there over a year! :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    ewwwww!!!

It probably won't kill you but I'd get rid of it all the same!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Every few weeks I sterilise my camelbak bladder with Milton - very easy to do and there's no aftertaste to speak of. No black mould for me!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are lucky, just aids, typhoid and flatulence. If not - death.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    ivancarlos wrote:
    More specifically in the drinking tube. Presumably a mould of sorts - does it do you any harm?

No its what they make wine gums out of
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You ever watch House MD? You know how sometimes, they can't figure out what the hell is going on and the hot one will say "Could be fungal" to which the short one will say "If it's fungal we've got no chance, he'll be dead before we can treat it?" That's caused by the little black bits in a camelbak.

There was a brilliant story about James Toseland the motorbike racer... For ages he was having raceday weakness issues, he'd be healthy right up to the race but then as soon as it kicked off he'd be feverish and weak. Doctors couldn't find anything, people were assuming he'd lost his bottle. Then, they found his bottle- he had a lucky water bottle he was drinking out of before every race but never at any other time and it had an inch of mold in the bottom of it, which was poisoning him.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Northwind wrote:

There was a brilliant story about James Toseland the motorbike racer... For ages he was having raceday weakness issues, he'd be healthy right up to the race but then as soon as it kicked off he'd be feverish and weak. Doctors couldn't find anything, people were assuming he'd lost his bottle. Then, they found his bottle- he had a lucky water bottle he was drinking out of before every race but never at any other time and it had an inch of mold in the bottom of it, which was poisoning him.

great story!
  • bones3027
    bones3027 Posts: 152
    I used to get this but then I started to stick the bladder straight into the freezer after each use and havent had to clean it for 6 months.
  • camelback cleaning brushes are cheap enough & sterilising tablets from Boots are even cheaper.

;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    every ride rinse camelpac out with water and shove into freezer. No mould, no worries and no nasty tastes.

I do worry though, would you eat food with black mould on?..... Hang on don't answer that!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Another question along similar lines... how do you get rid of the plasticy taste from a camelback? Mine still tastes nasty after months of use :?
  • mobilekat wrote:
    every ride rinse camelpac out with water and shove into freezer.

Exactly what I do too, never had any kinda mould appear.
  • boots sterilising tabs mucho cheapo

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Freezer trick works well. I take the drinking nipple thingy off though in case it splits.

Oh and if you chuck Milton in it, do rinse it out before you fill it with water to drink!
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Freezer trick works well. I take the drinking nipple thingy off though in case it splits.

Good advice, mine split due to freezing it! I now have to keep it 'locked' shut all the time so eater doesn't piss out all ride :oops:
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Millets do a cheaper version of the bladder cleaning kit, does the job a treat. I found a bladder last night thats been in the shed for months, looks like someone has shoit in it. Bit of milton and a scrub it will be reet :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • It's a bugger to get mould out the drinking tube - easier to chuck it out and replace with some home brewing syphon tube. Dirt cheap and it's clear so you can see when it's dirty.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    solsurf wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

great story!

You've got to wonder who would carry on considering it lucky after the first few times of being feverish in a race.......??
  • use to use milton and camel back cleaning kit, mine still went mouldy then when useing the tube cleaner it got stuck and pulled the pipe liner out never had it since
  • milton will prevent it growing. Mechanical action i.e scrubbing is required to remove it once there

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • The black stuff in my Camelbak is called Guiness... :lol: OTT
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Northwind wrote:
    You ever watch House MD? You know how sometimes, they can't figure out what the hell is going on and the hot one will say "Could be fungal" to which the short one will say "If it's fungal we've got no chance, he'll be dead before we can treat it?" That's caused by the little black bits in a camelbak.

Not so much an inch more like a black stain that looks like the remains of marker pen which has been scrubbed off. Not sure about getting a brush narrow and long enough as its in the tubing.
    I have pain!
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    The camelbak cleaning kit comes with a long thin brush for cleaning inside the tube. Not sure about the supplied cleaning tabs though, the warnings about skin contact etc in their usage insctructions bother me a bit. :roll: Milton's is preferable
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bikehawk wrote:
    The camelbak cleaning kit comes with a long thin brush for cleaning inside the tube. Not sure about the supplied cleaning tabs though, the warnings about skin contact etc in their usage insctructions bother me a bit. :roll: Milton's is preferable
    Milton has similar warnings!

http://www.milton-tm.com/c2/uploads/mil ... 0sheet.pdf

I forget who it was I was riding with recently that left the milton in and were drinking water + milton :shock: :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ivancarlos wrote:
    Not sure about getting a brush narrow and long enough as its in the tubing.

The camelbak one works perfectly. Pained me to spend that much on it really but glad I did. Other pipecleaners are available ;) But not many that are long enough.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    mea00csf wrote:

You've got to wonder who would carry on considering it lucky after the first few times of being feverish in a race.......??

I suspect he was more worried about which of his racing rivals would take his seat this time. He does seem to get replaced a lot. I heard he's racing for BMW next year?
  • i found a cheap and easy way to get rid of black bits.

fill with boiling water.
    hold up so water goes into tube.

with the other hand rub the pipe between thumb and finger. The aggitation works the black stuff off. work from one end of the pipe to the other.

My pipe was coated in the stuff but it shifted all of it when i emptied it out. now i just rinse with boiling water and keep in freezer. The odd soak in steredent does nicely.
  • I use some tough fishing line or a gear cable to pull a bit of dish cloth (new) with washing up liquid on it through the tube. Not often enough though, which reminds me...

Never been ill though, but I've heard of people who have been & the doctors have put it down to a mouldy Camelback...

I used Milton once & could taste it for weeks afterwards!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Its the stuff you cant see that Id be worrying about

Bacillus Circulan
    Clostridium botulinum
    Paramecium caudatum
    Streptococcus aurelius.
    Entamoeba histolytica
    Corynebacterium diphtheriae
    Yersinia pestis

To name but a few
  • I'm thinking that the worst thing is to leave the water in for a long time & then use it without emptying & re-filling. Legionares likes warm water, and I've heard that it has happened. How accurate the "it happened to my mate" stories are I have no idea.

One of my mates years back found a mushroom like fungus growing in the bottom of a water bottle in the shed...