Olympic Ticket Prices are out

mroli
mroli Posts: 3,622
edited October 2010 in Pro race
http://media.ticketmaster.com/og/en-gb/ ... tprice.pdf

Not totally sure how they can justify charging £60/£40/£20 for the road/TT cycling - unless those are tickets right on the finish line!

Comments

• Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Very expensive!

Was planning on seeing some track and the road race at least.....may watch the road race may not not now :(
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Presumably you can still watch the RR for free out on the circuit and you only have to pay to watch the finish?
    More problems but still living....
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Looks expensive, but would be good to know how many tickets in each price section there are.
    exercise.png
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Most sports have ticket prices starting at £20. But they go up significantly.

I'd be surprised if all tickets don't sell out before the start - and let's face it - it's all about making money.

(We, as UK residents, should really want all the expensive tickets to sell out - and to tourists. It's our taxes paying for the Games and we need to make some money back!)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Compared against the prices of seeing the the NBA games at the O2, it's a frickin' bargin.

To be honest, for London, the prices look pretty reasonable. And more so with the "Olympic Family" taking the bulk of the seats anyway.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mroli
    A mate whose missus does canoeing has just told me that the top canoe prices are something like £225. The previous highest price tickets in Europe - £3.50!
  • Do family members get in for free?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Do family members get in for free?

Blue Peter badge winners do.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    mroli wrote:
    A mate whose missus does canoeing has just told me that the top canoe prices are something like £225. The previous highest price tickets in Europe - £3.50!

What's her name? Is she sprint or slalom?

If she's a sprinter I can't believe anyone would pay £200 to watch it. I used to race as a junior and it wa hard enough getting my parents to watch. zzzzzzzzz.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iainf72

You've got a couple of years to practise pretending you find track cycling interesting Blaze :wink:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Ticketmaster are involved and their price scaling is 'what won't people pay? Then charge a bit less and we can always reduce the price later'
    M.Rushton
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    By contrast, these were the (approximate) prices I paid in Beijing

Athletics (100m final): £80
    A day of tennis (all courts - non-finals): £30
    Track cycling (finals, Hoy, Wiggins): £10
    Hockey (two group games): £5
    Night of boxing (non-finals): £8

Most of them I bought the day before the event (sometimes on the day).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    mrushton wrote:
    Ticketmaster are involved and their price scaling is 'what won't people pay? Then charge a bit less and we can always reduce the price later'

"It's a policy that ensures a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant"

-a line that was on The Simpsons just now, about Ticketmaster
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've signed up as a volunteer - minimum 12 days, pay my own travel and no guarantee that I get to see anything! Mind you still have to get through their "assessment process"...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • iainf72 wrote:

You've got a couple of years to practise pretending you find track cycling interesting Blaze :wink:

Plus a couple of years to save up enough money to buy a season ticket.
    Track? Instead of Delhi, I went to Tenerife for a spot of training on the beach.
    (glad I stuck to their fish, too)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    I've signed up as a volunteer - minimum 12 days, pay my own travel and no guarantee that I get to see anything! Mind you still have to get through their "assessment process"...[/quote

I did that on the off chance that A) I might meet the delightful Vicky P and B) That I might get some free tickets thrown in
  • mroli
    I signed up as a volunteer - I want to help out, I believe in the olympics (and paralympics) wholeheartedly and as long as I make sure I help make it happen, I'm happy.

Ticket prices cannot compare with Beijing - if you compare it with, say, Premiership football it ain't too bad. But prices are high for EVERY sport, not just the gold standard sports.

Also - I'm suspicious about the involvement of Ticketmaster. £20 for a ticket, plus how much booking charge, plus how much postage charge?
  • RichN95.
    mroli wrote:
    Ticket prices cannot compare with Beijing.

I know, but you're missing my point

My point was - 'I saw Usain Bolt win the 100m in Beijing'
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:

Don't you mean "I saw Usain Bolt win the 100m in Beijing. Who wants to touch me? WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME?"
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichN95 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Ticket prices cannot compare with Beijing.

I know, but you're missing my point

Unrelated to ticket prices but i am curious as to whether you think you think UB is clean ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I am curious as to how you watch the sailing , £20 and £50 is a lot of money to watch a few boats in the distance off the Weymouth coast.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • RichN95.
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Unrelated to ticket prices but i am curious as to whether you think you think UB is clean ?

Yes I do. He's been seen as a phenomenon since he was 14. Youngest ever Junior World Champion at 15. At that age Michael Johnson said he'd break his 200m World record. Number 9 in the World at 16. Number 2 in the World at 17. (at 200m)

The guy's just a freak.

Here's an article about him when he was 16: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics-the-boy-they-call-lightning-is-frightening-536129.html
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    We went to quite a few events at the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002, as tickets were £8-£12 IIRC.

They were saying that unless you actually live in London, with travel, accommodation, transport, meals, etc it would be easier and cheaper if Paris had won it...
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    is anyone ACTUALLY surprised?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    All I can say is - if you want to get the £9.3 Billion the Games are costing back - this is how it is done. If you don't buy 'em, someone else will. (Hopefully from outside the UK)
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Although it will change as they get closer, I'm not that fussed about seeing any event in particular, although - strictly from the perspective of being enthusiastic about architecture - I wouldn't mind seeing the velodrome and the main stadium.

Oh, and I followed Usain Bolt's progress before he became a household name. Combined with Jamaica's enthusiasm and excellence for raising sprinters, his talent was always going to make him a phenomenon. Given he'd only just established himself as the new force of the 100m, I feel kinda bad for Powell.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Oh dear.

I've been saving £1 a day in a jar for the Olympics,ever since they announced that there were 1,000 days to go. Plan was to buy tickets in advance and then have a once in a life time holiday in London, all paid for with my hard saved grand.

I can see I am now going to have to reassess this. Husband is an archer, and their prices start at £20 and rise to £95 (it's being held at Lords) to see the world's best. Wimbledon for an outside court doesn't look too bad.

£60 for the cycling events- well, I'm hoping that's for a grandstand seat.

And I've promised to take nieces and nephews as well.

Away to sit down with a calculator, pen and pencil. I may be some time.
  • Tusher
    Mmmmmn , the velodrome.

I've never been to one, but it's on my list.
    Can anyone tell me if it's worth paying for good seats?
  • Tusher
    ............and I'm puzzled by the tickets for the opening ceremony that are priced at £20.12?

After pondering why they added the 12pence, I did finally Get It, but I'm still curious as to what on earth you'll be able to see for that price. Presumably those seats are in the gods, with no view at all.
  • Tusher
    I've just worked out how much the Tusher Family are likely to be spending during a fortnight in London to watch the Olympics.

As long as the children can survive on water, a handful of raisins and one banana a day, it's topping £3K. (includes getting the sleeper down)

And that's not including the beach volleyball that hubby considers to be one of the highlights of the event. £3K would pay for the largest super high tech TV set, and a fortnight of carry-out meals.