How often do you get punctures?

2»

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Most punctures only occur at a point exactly 50% into the journey / furthest walking distance to any help and when it is raining.

Biggest problem was when I bought five tubes from an on-line retailer and everyone had a manufacturing defect around the valve. As my bike has a hub gear and taking the wheel off and putting it back on again is a pain I was over joyed...

Wonder what will happen this week when the promised bad weather arrives...
    Steve C
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    sc999cs wrote:
    Most punctures only occur at a point exactly 50% into the journey / furthest walking distance to any help and when it is raining.

Biggest problem was when I bought five tubes from an on-line retailer and everyone had a manufacturing defect around the valve. As my bike has a hub gear and taking the wheel off and putting it back on again is a pain I was over joyed...

Wonder what will happen this week when the promised bad weather arrives...

Oh... wow - feel for you! :P
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    Conti Sport Contacts - 1 puncture in a year of riding (sharp object not pinch flat). But having 700cx37 size probably helps :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Valy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Conti Sport Contacts - 1 puncture in a year of riding (sharp object not pinch flat). But having 700cx37 size probably helps :)

OR DOES IT!?!??!

Because as someone at the beginning of this thread said - the footprint might have an impact, I think I agree. ... unless you are talking about pinch flats. :oops:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Don't get punctures.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • I seem to get around 1 a month on my racer, bontrager 25mm tires, 100psi. Last weeks was impressive. Running on a previously patched tube, a nail managed to go right through the middle of the patch. Can you patch a patch I pondered? turns out I couldnt. It got me home, but had to stop twice to topup the air. Tend to carry a spare tube now.

On the mountain bike with its 2.3" knobblies? got one on my first ride!!
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Valy
    dilemma - I would say that "now you do", but it could backfire on me, so I won't.

Spoodzilla - bloody hell. Though I think I might have had a leak/puncture around a patch - I just took it off and put a new one one. As far as carrying a tube, that is a given. it was a bit of a revelation to me when i realised you could do that! :P
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Very few punctures on PRO3 Race or Krylion's - my new bike has Schwalbe (dunno model), done no more than 30 miles on it and got a puncture yesterday and missed the club run!

I'll give them one more chance before getting a new pair.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Valy
    You must specify the model. :P
  • Original specialized tyres averaged about 80 miles per puncture on the rear, none on the front though. After many missed trains and 10 punctures I switched to marathon+, now at 7200 miles without a single puncture. They are 700 x 28 btw.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    Valy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

OR DOES IT!?!??!

Because as someone at the beginning of this thread said - the footprint might have an impact, I think I agree. ... unless you are talking about pinch flats. :oops:
    I see where you're coming from on the 'sharp object puncture' front - as mentioned, that's the only one I've had and i don't think those Contis are sold as being tough-as-old-boots puncture resistant. No pinch flats at all, which is where the bigger bodied tyre probably does better when it comes to potholes, ironwork etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Marathon Plus = no punctures
    Riding on 531
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Rerely now i have new rubber on the roadie.

Pulled four thorns out of my MTB last night though and that was just the front. I know there is at least one more in the rear tyre to deal with later.

Some nice people decided that after hedge cutting the cycle lane does not matter and left the remains allover it. TYVM!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP