Reasons why I'm faster than you in rank order

Comments

• SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    I could post a picture of my calves, which are frankly terrifying in their scale and threat level.

Better?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SamWise72 wrote:
    The more of this I read, the more depressed it makes me. I don't know if you read the Silly Commuting Racing thread, but the word "Silly" should be emphasized. I'm not an olympic athlete, I'm not a professional bike racer, or even a serious amateur. I just ride to work, and it's fun to ride faster than anyone else. Maybe you're faster than me, under certain circumstances, and that's fine. Your quote, however, is silly, isn't it? That's like a marathon runner telling a sprinter his ability is less worthwhile.

Maybe I'm faster down Kingsway and over Waterloo Bridge than you, maybe not. I'll bust my lungs trying to be, and then if I'm not, that's ok. And if I am, and you're faster over 50 miles, that's ok too. Chris Hoy may think that being fast over a short distance has a value, BTW, but that's not the point. If you don't get the irony in the bike hero posts, including mine, that go on here, you've missed the point.

What the are you backing down!

For a second there I thought we had another alpha male on the website. Seems like I'm still the only one.

+1

What are you, a man or a mouse?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    SamWise72 wrote:
    I could post a picture of my calves, which are frankly terrifying in their scale and threat level.

Better?
    calves-first.jpg
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • SamWise72
    Mooooo
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• lae
    lae Posts: 555
    I'm a bit late but -

"4) I maintain my bike properly. If I've cleaned and lubed my chain, and I grease the other bearings now and then, you're in trouble if you don't. "

Whether a chain is lubricated makes no difference to its efficiency, so long as it's clean and unworn. The only thing lube does is stop it rusting and stop it wearing. Source - Bicycling Science 3rd edition

Good post though.
  • SamWise72
    True, but if it's not lubed and you ride in England, chances are it's rusty. When I didn't lube the chain on my IGH equipped tourer for a bit in the rain last year, it got a stiff link and started jumping the ring, which was a real bugger if it happened either half way round a roundabout, or just as I was about to pass someone.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    hi,

can anyone tell me what this thread is about? It mesmerises me, yet I have no idea of what it's about...
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    SamWise72 wrote:
    (Or "Bad news for weight weenies")
    It's not about the bike...
    1) I'm just faster than you; I can take on more oxygen, my muscles process it better, I've got bigger more effective muscles, or I'm bigger full stop, and can use that to my advantage. Let's face it, this is really numbers 1-9, almost always, when you get owned, it's superior strength and fitness. Particularly, if you're in team kit, riding an expensive looking Cannondale, and carrying only a backpack, and you can't shake me, on my Brompton, in work clothes, carrying a big bag off your wheel as we jointly annihilate everyone else over Waterloo Bridge, it's definitely that I'm better.

2) I know how to ride my bike. I know how to start effectively and quickly, I'm pushing a sensible gear, I backed off and preserved momentum so I went through the lights fast when they changed, while you were grinding. When someone beats you, almost always they beat you in a race; their bike didn't beat yours.

3) I have a more favourable gear ratio. I you ride SS or fixed, chances are that on any geared bike I'll have an advantage off the line, and again at speed, even if I'm on a 3 speed. If you've got plenty and chosen wrong, you're a muppet.

Oh, right - it might be about the bike.
    4) I maintain my bike properly. If I've cleaned and lubed my chain, and I grease the other bearings now and then, you're in trouble if you don't.

Hang on, yeah. Definitely about the bike.
    5) I have appropriate tyres. They're not so wide a tractor could use them, they're not covered in ridiculous knobbles, and I've inflated them to a sensible pressure. Maybe you should try that?

Definitely about the bike.
    6) I'm more aero than you. Clothing might be a factor, but if I've got drops and you haven't, then even if we're equal in every other area, after 20 mph I'm going to start running away from you.

Really, truly about the bike.
    7) My bike is lighter. Alright, if you're sure you've eliminated everything else on the list, then go ahead and buy a TI seatpost or a carbon fork. But even then, don't forget that you could get the same effect cheaper by eating one less sausage a meal, or leaving your iPod at home instead of putting it in the bag.

I can't make up my mind whether it's about the bike or not.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Valy wrote:
    hi,

can anyone tell me what this thread is about? It mesmerises me, yet I have no idea of what it's about...

+1

Initially I thought I did, but now I'm not sure. Aidy isn't helping either :)
  • This thread is about what the OP says it is about, at any given moment and regardless of anything the OP may or may not have stated previously.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • SamWise72
    Or: "it could be about the bike, but I consider it very unlikely."

And Oscar, the vast majority of people seem to have detected that the thread was on the topic of "what makes people fast", and that I had couched it in the language of "I'm faster than you" to make it grab people a bit more. And I apologise for suggesting that a fat guy on a folding bike might be faster than you. I didn't know it would be a sensitive topic for you.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm a bit late but -

"4) I maintain my bike properly. If I've cleaned and lubed my chain, and I grease the other bearings now and then, you're in trouble if you don't. "

Whether a chain is lubricated makes no difference to its efficiency, so long as it's clean and unworn. The only thing lube does is stop it rusting and stop it wearing. Source - Bicycling Science 3rd edition

Good post though.

Then I do hope that (at least that section) of Bicycling Science 3rd Edition is constructed of very thin and nicely soft paper because it has certainly missed it's calling as a purveyor of good science.

Efficiency is a mathematical function of power in to a system versus power out of that same system. This ratio is entirely dependent on power losses within the system.

Please take a nicely polished piece of steel and rub it along another nicely polished clean piece of steel. Then try the same thing with a light film of clean oil between them.
    Still think it makes mo difference?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SamWise72
    This thread is about what the OP says it is about, at any given moment and regardless of anything the OP may or may not have stated previously.

I'm finding myself increasingly irritated by this (good trolling, well done). Go back and read my OP, and ask yourself this question. Do you think it's more likely that my admittedly open-to-interpretation post was:

A) an overweight 38 year old man on a folding bike telling everyone in the world without exception that he is faster than them, and citing as one of the reasons that he is the only person in the world who lubes his chain and inflates his tyres.

B) a list of the most important factors in one person being faster than another, made slightly more interesting by the use of Commuting forum style MTFU type language?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• have we not derailed this into whether pickled onion monster munch is the best crisp ever thread yet?

cw8.jpg
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    have we not derailed this into whether pickled onion monster munch is the best crisp ever thread yet?

cw8.jpg
    smelliest perhaps*

* I am of course courting controversy from the scampi fries contingent with my statement but that's just how I roll.
    Hat + Beard
  • have we not derailed this into whether pickled onion monster munch is the best crisp ever thread yet?

cw8.jpg

Pah!

Frazzles2025g.jpg
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Does this thread administer a heavy dose of LSD when you read it?

Or is it just the thread?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    have we not derailed this into whether pickled onion monster munch is the best crisp ever thread yet?

cw8.jpg

Pah!

Frazzles2025g.jpg

Just decided to Frazzle up my sandwich this lunchtime - chapeau boys, great reminder!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Golden Wonder Cheese and Onion (when they used proper plastic packets not the foil ones) are the best crisps of all time.

It is about the bike as much as it is the person on the bike as it is the environment your riding.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Contenders....

3168252892_82e79d289b.jpg

sksips.jpg
  • I bought Discos and Skips from a supermarket a little while ago - the skips were just as great as I remember, but discos are now really bland and rubbish! I remember them being really seriously crunchy, and so vinegary they'd burn you. Those were the days.

I'd like to add some nominees:

n264378011614_1369.jpg

doritos_cheese.jpg
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ooh, those wheat crunchies are ace. But so are walkers-french-fries-worcester-sauce-flavour-potato-snacks-case-of-48-bags-6098-p%5Bekm%5D275x275%5Bekm%5D.jpg
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Golden Wonder Cheese and Onion (when they used proper plastic packets not the foil ones) are the best crisps of all time. .

GW's ready salted has that honour, although Walkers is a close second in my book :)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Wheat crunchish could be a bugger to crisp up a sandwich.....may give it a shot though - smokey bacon in tuna is good etiquette.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Damn you all and your working-class crisps.

sweet-chilli.png
    Rules are for fools.
  • Sewinman
    Agreed LiT - the sad demise of Discos is tragedy. I don't think they are putting enough MSG in to them anymore. One occasionaly comes accross them, pushed to the corner of the corner shop crisp display... :cry:

Other players:

scampi.jpg

And if I was down to my last 5p.

space%20raiders.jpg
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Ooh, those wheat crunchies are ace. But so are walkers-french-fries-worcester-sauce-flavour-potato-snacks-case-of-48-bags-6098-p%5Bekm%5D275x275%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Ooooooooh I nearly included them, but then I thought I had too much of a focus on worcestershire sauce flavour crisps... TBH the only crisps I don't really like are the bog-standard walkers.
  • Sewinman
    Do you remember 'Smiths' where you had to do the salt thing yourself from the small blue packet! It would invariably land on one crisp only - so that one would be uber salty and the rest would be bland. Strange concept in hindsight.

When I was about 8 my mum saw a news-story on 'E numbers' and refused to buy decent crisps for a few years - she would get mingin' E number free wheat things. I had to barter for decent crisps at school by leveraging a Peperami.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sewinman wrote:
    Do you remember 'Smiths' where you had to do the salt thing yourself from the small blue packet! It would invariably land on one crisp only - so that one would be uber salty and the rest would be bland. Strange concept in hindsight.

When I was about 8 my mum saw a news-story on 'E numbers' and refused to buy decent crisps for a few years - she would get mingin' E number free wheat things. I had to barter for decent crisps at school by leveraging a Peperami.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Nope you're all wrong... these are by far the best with a really vinegary burning sensation :D

chipsticks.jpg
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team