For Goodness Shakes

dmch2
dmch2 Posts: 731
My last wiggle order had a free 'For Goodness Shakes' recovery drink in it.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/For_Goodness_Shakes_Recovery_Powder_24x80g/5360049922/

Has anyone tried one?

It was after my longest ever ride (don't laugh, only 60 miles) and the last 15 were a real struggle so I was pretty tired. I drank one and felt pretty much OK.

So was I not as tired as I thought or are they really good?
2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    It's sugary milk with a bunch of flavourings, minerals and vitamins, so miracles are unlikely. I'll happily drink them when they're sent to me for free, but would not spend a fraction of the £1++ per sachet that people are supposed to pay for them. Presumably, much of that cost goes on the marketing budget, including paying for the free ones we sometimes get. :lol:
  • dmch2
    So i should save my money and just have a glass of fruit juice? :)
  • Fruit juice doesn't contain any protein, so that wont help much. I use the forgoodness shakes because they taste much nicer than Rego. To call them sugary milk with minerals is indeed probably accurate, but surprisingly that's what you need after exercise. Skimmed Milk is probably almost as effective, but it has no salt, nor some of the minerals that the shakes have. Then again, the bio adsorption of added minerals is possibly lower than natural food, so a glass of milk, and a ham salad sandwich is probably just as good.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I like the Rego drinks, and wouldn't pay for a For Goodness Shakes drink.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I've been using these for a while now and I find that my legs don't feel so bad the morning after so I'm going to say that they do what they're supposed to. I only buy them when Sainsburys have them on offer at a quid a bottle tho.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Milk, sugar and multivits. Taste nice and are ready mixed. Unless there under a quid I'd give them a miss. 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I've been buying them recently - mostly because there is a promo competition to win a bike with the 'losers' prize £5 off at wiggle.

Not sure if they work or not but they taste pretty nice and if i have one i dont seem to have the cravings for biscuits, cakes, crisps and assorted crap that i often get the day after a long hard cycle!
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I'm happy to use FGS recovery drinks when they're free, but for the most part I don't believe they are worth the money.

They taste ok, are convenient, but basically they're just milk, sugar & flavourings. And they're fortified with a few vitamins/minerals even though you don't really need them if your diet is balanced anyway.

Just as good to make your own recovery drink.

I blend up a couple of bananas with half a litre of skimmed milk, a teaspoon or two of cocoa powder and a scoop of whey protein.

Chuck in the fridge for a nourishing post-ride 'meal' to neck immediately after your ride.
    Follow up with a proper meal an hour later.
  • morrisons sometimes have them on offer.
    ive used them (when i wasnt buying) and thought that they made recovery a bit less painful; might be a placebo.
    plus they taste nice and are easy to drink, even after interval efforts.

yep, they're expensive, but i like them
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • I refuse to try them on the grounds of their ridulous name
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    yep, I use them. I have one after a 'long' run, so basically anything over 11-12 miles, 1 hr 10-15mins. I have found them very effective in stopping my calf muscles twitching like there's an alien inside them for hours afterwards, obviously much more effective than just water. Also, they seem to help the next day, with no real residual leg-heaviness. Not a scientific test, but good enough for me. And you can drink them even if you are sweating like a pig and hanging out your a*"£ without them making you vomitous.

Its prob a combination of salts etc for twitchy legs, and protein / carb for next day help. I don't think the price is too bad, and they do taste nice and not messy to make.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    shm_uk wrote:
    I'm happy to use FGS recovery drinks when they're free, but for the most part I don't believe they are worth the money.

They taste ok, are convenient, but basically they're just milk, sugar & flavourings. And they're fortified with a few vitamins/minerals even though you don't really need them if your diet is balanced anyway.

I blend up a couple of bananas with half a litre of skimmed milk, a teaspoon or two of cocoa powder and a scoop of whey protein.

Chuck in the fridge for a nourishing post-ride 'meal' to neck immediately after your ride.

You'll find that most brands of whey protein recommend that they are consumed directly after mixing...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • dmch2
    So sounds like they're good but expensive to use every day.

I may just buy a few to keep in stock for after really long rides. £1 a month (I don't ride that much and usually only for an hour or 2)) isn't going to break to bank and it'll be cheaper than buying big tubs of whey protein etc and easier than having to remember to make them up.
  • Use them after every ride and run atm, Training for my first offroad duathlon in November

98p 50% extra free in asda at the moment. Definitely helping me train multiple days. Even if its all in my head I am happy :)

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    hopper1 wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

You'll find that most brands of whey protein recommend that they are consumed directly after mixing...

True, but it seems to be fine for a few hours in the fridge.
    Have also left some refrigerated for 24 hours or so with no apparent problem.
    And I wasn't ill :)

EDIT: Just done some Go-ogling - whey protein breaks down and loses its potency if not drunk soon after mixing... might need to change my routine w.r.t. preparing my recovery drinks