The misses?

dizzington
dizzington Posts: 20
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Ok just bought myself a Gt avalanche.

How should i go about telling the misses?

She will probably go crazy, i need to make more space in the shed too.

Comments

• It was in the sales. Thats what they tell us, and even though we know they are telling porkies we have learnt to not argue
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Can you cross your legs (like girls do) without any discomfort...?

:wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Tell her you stole it.
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Tell her you are looking after it for a mate. Then move one of your other bikes out to a amte who claims he is looking after it for a mate. Tell the missus you sold a bike and only have x amount left. Get as many other people you can involved in it telling the same story and then wife/gf will know who owns what and what colour its supposed to be. Of course you will likely lose track of all the bikes too but it beats her removing your love plums.

Common phrases to use are:
    'ohhh that one I sold that ages ago to mick'
    'john just kept that one here whilst he decorated'
    'Blue one? I never had a blue one'
    'Im just repairing that one as paul doesn't have a quadrum conversion tool'
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    You could MTFU and just tell her you have another bike
  • I have a feeling this is his only bike. if you're chubby at all, tell her your doing it for fitness, and that you need money for new clothes and things. Worked well with my mrs.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dizzington wrote:

you have more than one "miss"?
    cool.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Simple, do as i did today...

I bought the missus an iPhone and then put my Superduke up for sale :)

She loves the iPhone and the Superduke sale and purchase of a Husqvarna won't seem so significant
  • Anonymous
    Just act really happy and excited.

She will see how much joy the bike is bringing you and that will make her happy to.

I'm sure women like nothing better than seeing their men happy with their new toys.

Or maybe I'm just lucky.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    buy her flowers, expensive perfume, compliment her hair, clothes and shoes. Listen raptly to everything she says and agree with her.

She will eventually accuse you of having an affair, as she storms from the house stop her and confess you bought a new bike so:

A) you can spend quality time together outdoors

B) you can stay in shape and be worthy of her

C) you bought it too stop the guilt of planning to take her shoe shopping

either that or MTFU or fly you fool fly :P
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Why is everyone scared of their own wife? If we couldn't afford for me to buy a new bike and I went and bought one anyway then I would expect her to be understandably upset. If we could afford it, then she would be happy for me to be doing something that makes me happy.

I could never buy anything without my wife knowing as I give her all my cash/credit cards and just ask her for money when I need it. That way she can buy whatever she wants or the kids need.

I never have any money left....
    ....maybe it's me that's doing it wrong. :?
  • Why do some guys talk about there women/girlfriends like they are the boss of the relationship?! Some of my mates do that and it's irritating, it makes them look and sound like pussies :twisted:
  • I think this video relates perfectly to this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWBmTq3 ... re=related
  • You were abducted by aliens in the night and when you came back the shed was tidied up and the bike was "just" sitting there. Works every time!!

or

You could just tell her the truth, be a man accept the consequences do the dishes and washing for the next month take the beating and no sex for months. Thats what happened to me.
  • Anonymous
    Tell her the truth for god's sake. If she moans, either slap some sense into her, or try to win her round with a promise of some fisting later on.
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Heck I'm always spending money on bike bits. The missus has never once complained. Get a new one if she does, there's something not right there!
  • dizzington wrote:

you have more than one "miss"?
    cool.

:lol:

Tell her that you have bought her a new bike, bollock her for not being in the kitchen, and tell her you will show her the back of your hand if she doesnt comply :twisted:
    We'll see things they'll never see...
    Fury
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The opposite problem is far worse, mine will take my carbon 456 to ride because she prefers it. Although I now borrow top end demo bikes for her to ride... Seems to work out well.
  • Haha just thought id let you know she is pregnant too ive still managed to put the money away for the baby etc so theres no problem really is there its just her hormones.

ill probably tell her tonight tbh just before sleep and ive tucked myself in, she might not mention to sofa then lol.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    if shes preggers then she shouldnt be in the shed! too many dangerous manly chemicals and sharp thingys etc...

or tell her not to meddle in man things and to carry on baking cakes and pies etc for you cos you are tired from "not" going on a ride!
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    dizzington wrote:

A bit like that i'd say.
  • I heard that Brant used to send out On-Ones with a letter inside which read "Congratulations, you have won a prize..." to get around this sort of situation.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,095
    I heard that Brant used to send out On-Ones with a letter inside which read "Congratulations, you have won a prize..." to get around this sort of situation.

Love that idea, I always hope my Wiggle purchases arrive with haribo so I can claim I bought that for the kids and they have thrown in these carbon shoes, etc.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Give her one and as she's crying out "yes yes yes" ,say "are you glad I've just bought a new bike?"
    There is the problem that not all birds say "yes" as they go off though, for instance if its "fcuk me" then you're quite literally screwed......................... 8)
    Don't think, BE:
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I just don't get it, my boyfriend can buy whatever the hell he likes with his money, i buy whatever i want with mine. Bills, mortgage, food shopping, etc comes out of a seperate joint account that we both pay into, whatevers leftover from salaries is our own to do whatever we want with, even if i do think the £1500 time trial bike was silly when he already owns a perfectly good road bike......
    Couldn't imagine having total joint accounts, i'd end up feeling guilty for spending money, but angry when he spent money, not good :?
  • Your real problems begin when you start going out on it enjoying yourself and leave her to "babysit" the kids...
    Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Tell her the truth for god's sake. If she moans, either slap some sense into her, or try to win her round with a promise of some fisting later on.

you sir are temporarily a genius.... :wink:
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    dizzington wrote:

If you don't keep your bike in the kitchen then she won't find out :lol::wink:

*women should not be chained to the cooker, no matter how funny they look*
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Tell her the truth, that cycling builds more stamina for other physical activities and she will soon benefit from your new found warrior like status. :wink:
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    mea00csf wrote:
    I just don't get it, my boyfriend can buy whatever the hell he likes with his money, i buy whatever i want with mine. Bills, mortgage, food shopping, etc comes out of a seperate joint account that we both pay into, whatevers leftover from salaries is our own to do whatever we want with, even if i do think the £1500 time trial bike was silly when he already owns a perfectly good road bike......
    Couldn't imagine having total joint accounts, i'd end up feeling guilty for spending money, but angry when he spent money, not good :?

That sounds great, Until a new kitchen is needed or you move house etc. It all gets skewed and put into one big pot!