Evening / Morning Routine

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
It occurred to me that I have a routine I need to complete each night / morning if I commute by bike, and wonderedif everyone else needs / has a routine themselves?

It can be a faff getting ready in the morning so I tend to get everything I can laid out the night before so when I'm brain dead at 5:30 I don't need to think about anything

So... evening:
Home, bike away, empty pannier, days clothes in the wash basket, cycle kit in for quick wash, shower, assemble pannier kit for next day (towel / socks / grundies / tie, work phone), lights / camera on charge (if applicable)
Eat
Clothes out to dry

Morning
stumble around, bounce of several walls / doors / floor, eat something that doesn't move, drink something that moves less, clean teeth, get dressed, put work shirt in pannier, lights / camera / action!
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    No stretching of the limbs of an evening? :shock:

My (general) routine:

Evening - unpack panniers, shower, clothes and kit in the wash basket, eat. If it's a running night eating is later and running/cycling stuff gets a quick wash.

Morning - hit snooze button a few times, stumble out of bed, bathroom, pack pannier with day's wear and lunch/coffee. Breakfast if have time then leave. if no time, breakfast at work.

The above is seasonal: Autumn/winter also involves use of second alarm in the hallway, forcing me out of bed :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    Cafewanda wrote:
    No stretching of the limbs of an evening? :shock:

Ooh.. good point - I never think about that
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Evening (why are we starting with evening? Surely we should start with morning?)

Get home, prop bike up against wall, argue with knog rear light, pledge to buy new light that switches off.
    Put day's clothes away/ in the laundry basket.
    Go and obtain food and tea, consume.
    Watch telly/chat/etc.
    Change out of cycling kit, go to bed. If cycling kit is soaked, I'll put it straight in the wash and have a shower. If it's mildly damp I find it dries best on.

Morning.

Get up, put on cycling kit, put day's clothes in bag, brush teeth, leave.
    Arrive at gym, have shower, change, lament late departure.
    Go to work.
  • Cafewanda
    Starting with the evening routine I found less painful :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    I started with the evening as I prep for the morning when I get home. The morning routine would've been uninformative without the background from the previous day :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • It occurred to me that I have a routine I need to complete each night / morning if I commute by bike, and wonderedif everyone else needs / has a routine themselves?

It can be a faff getting ready in the morning so I tend to get everything I can laid out the night before so when I'm brain dead at 5:30 I don't need to think about anything

So... evening:
    Home, bike away, empty pannier, days clothes in the wash basket, cycle kit in for quick wash, shower, assemble pannier kit for next day (towel / socks / grundies / tie, work phone), lights / camera on charge (if applicable)
    Eat
    Clothes out to dry

Morning
    stumble around, bounce of several walls / doors / floor, eat something that doesn't move, drink something that moves less, clean teeth, get dressed, put work shirt in pannier, lights / camera / action!

Your routine is pretty much identical to mine, even down to the times. I have no Camera though. I do add "put something in the bottle for me to drink on the way in"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Evening: Home, cycling kit in washing basket, 2min shower and change, food, chat/TV/SF4 against housemate, iron shirt for work, hang, check in with the missus, sleep.

Morning, 7ish: Up, stagger about, breakfast 1, search for cycling stuff, pick cycling stuff out of washing basket, fold and pack clothes, cycle in, shower & change at gym, breakfast 2 at 10ish.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Morning:

- 6:30am wake up; make coffee
    - 6:30-7:25 doss about watching TV
    - 7:30 take my wife a cup of tea in bed
    - 7:35 get all my gear together
    - 7:40 get cycling kit on
    - 7:50 get bike out and leave

Evening:

- 5:50pm get home & put bike away
    - 5:51 get changed
    - 5:52 make coffee
    - 5:53 doss about playing TF2
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Evening:

Put bike in garage
    Bathe The Mighty Pickle (10mo daughter)
    Clothes to wash
    Shower
    Change
    Cook
    Eat
    TV
    Wine
    TV
    Wine
    TV
    Wine
    Chocolate
    Wine
    Ablutions
    Bed

Morning:

Ablutions
    Wake and change The Mighty Pickle
    Cereal bar and juice (make cup of tea for Mra A)
    Change
    More ablutions
    Monday only - pack weeks clothes and towel
    Get bike from garage
    Leave

Think that about covers it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Evening (why are we starting with evening? Surely we should start with morning?)

Get home, prop bike up against wall, argue with knog rear light, pledge to buy new light that switches off.
    Watch telly/chat/etc.
    Change out of cycling kit, go to bed. If cycling kit is soaked, I'll put it straight in the wash and have a shower. If it's mildly damp I find it dries best on.
    You only shower if cycling kit is damp?

Personal hygene issues LiT?

Morning.

Go to work.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Evening (why are we starting with evening? Surely we should start with morning?)

Watch telly/chat/etc.
    You only shower if cycling kit is damp?

Personal hygene issues LiT?

Morning.

Go to work.

I shower every morning, I only shower again in the evening if I've got wet and am covered in that nasty black gritty stuff!

Or if I'm going out or something.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    argue with knog rear light, pledge to buy new light that switches off.

I'm not the only one then, only happens to me in the wet though. How annoying!
  • notsoblue wrote:

Exactly!

I took it apart last night to have a look at it, the whole inside of the light was really, really wet, so I dried it out and it does seem to work better.

The little trek one I have on the front seems a lot more waterproof and still has the stretchy bracket thingo.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Agent57 wrote:
    Morning:

- 6:30am wake up; make coffee
    - 6:30-7:25 doss about watching TV
    - 7:30 take my wife a cup of tea in bed
    - 7:35 get all my gear together
    - 7:40 get cycling kit on
    - 7:50 get bike out and leave

Evening:

- 5:50pm get home & put bike away
    - 5:51 get changed
    - 5:52 make coffee
    - 5:53 doss about playing TF2

Might I suggest an improvement.

- 6:30-7:25 Sleep some more
    - 7:30 take wife a cup of tea in bed
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Agent57
    dhope wrote:
    Might I suggest an improvement.

- 6:30-7:25 Sleep some more
    - 7:30 take wife a cup of tea in bed

But then I wouldn't have time to watch American Chopper!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    notsoblue wrote:

Exactly!

I took it apart last night to have a look at it, the whole inside of the light was really, really wet, so I dried it out and it does seem to work better.

The little trek one I have on the front seems a lot more waterproof and still has the stretchy bracket thingo.
    Yah, my rear knog died in the same way. After a few times drying it out no longer did the trick :(
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ?

Evening - arrive home, bike in garage, top + socks in wash basket if necessary, shower, change, tea, evening stuff.

Morning - make coffee for two, bowl of porridge for one, morning ablutions, dress. Wave cheerio, bike out of garage, away.

Day - some work.
  • Cafewanda
    Asprilla, I'm mightily impressed with your evening routine between 'eat' and 'bed'. I might adopt that as part of my winter schedule :)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    5:00 - Wake up, go for wee
    6:00 - Wake up, go for wee again, then eat me Bran Flakes in bed
    6:21 - Get out of bed, put on padded shorts, shorts, socks, top, shoes, helemt, facemask,
    6:26 - Put keys 'n wallet in bag, lights on bike 'n out the door!
    7:25 - Rip off pollution mask and wipe the drool from my face
    7:29 - Arrive at work!

My return journey basically involves getting out of the City ASAP at 5pm, then taking it easy for the rest of it.

Once at home, bike against wall, catch falling back, into shower 'n start winding down.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Do none of you check your tyre pressures in the morning?

Maybe just me then.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    7PM, arrive home.
    Say hello to family
    Shower, change (if time)
    Turn round and ferry assorted kids to whatever they're doing that evening.
    Get food, collapse in front of telly and eat.
    Shower (if no time earlier), clean teeth.
    Set alarm clock and place far enough away that I can't reach the snooze button without getting out of bed.
    Get into bed and immediately fall asleep.

6:10 AM, Curse alarm clock, try desparately to reach snooze button, fail.
    Realise that if I don't jump out of bed immediately, it's going to wake the missus.
    Jump out of bed immediately.
    Shave, clean teeth, plus any other ablutions necessary.
    Get sandwiches out of fridge, assemble rest of pack lunch
    Unlock back door, leaving key in the lock and hanging my pass off the key.
    Go outside in dressing gown and check temperature
    Make cup of tea for myself, wife and eldest son, take upstairs.
    Pack clean underwear and shirts if necessary
    Put on cycling gear, say goodbye to everyone and go downstairs
    Open panniers, curse, go back upstairs and put dirty washing in basket.
    Fill and close panniers.
    Remember wallet, curse, go back upstairs and retrieve it.
    Open panniers, insert wallet, close panniers again.
    Radio on, and in back pocket. Earpieces in.
    Helmet, gloves and shoes on
    Keys and pass in back pocket (left in back door so I don't forget them - clever eh?)
    Garmin turned on, and placed on back wall to lock on. Fetch bike, attach panniers and Garmin.
    Arrive at work, check time on Garmin, curse (how could I have been so slow?), lock up, shower and change!
  • asprilla
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Asprilla, I'm mightily impressed with your evening routine between 'eat' and 'bed'. I might adopt that as part of my winter schedule :)

I like to think of it as maintaining a healthy intake of iron (red wine to help maintain my CV system) and niceness (chocolate to stop me being grumpy).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Cafewanda
    Sketchley wrote:

Maybe just me then.....

Once a month on a Sunday, cos they is Schwalbe tires :)
  • Cafewanda
    Asprilla wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

I like to think of it as maintaining a healthy intake of iron (red wine to help maintain my CV system) and niceness (chocolate to stop me being grumpy).

Would rose-ay make a good alternative? Too late to change my Tesco shopping order :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    CiB wrote:
    ?

Evening - arrive home, bike in garage, top + socks in wash basket if necessary, shower, change, tea, evening stuff.

Morning - make coffee for two, bowl of porridge for one, morning ablutions, dress. Wave cheerio, bike out of garage, away.

Day - some work.

It's interesting (for me) as it shows some folk (LIKE me) do have a routine for getting things prepped and some wing it.

I tried the winging it thing and found I was forgetting all sorts of stuff... like eating, clothes, getting up, that I was actually meant to be cycling in....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Evening:-

Stow bike in garage
    Strip
    Long shower
    Dinner
    Various "essential" tasks - usually involving laptop
    TV
    Lay out clothes for next day
    Pack rucksack with lunch etc
    Bed

Morning:-

6.00am get up
    Shave
    Brush teeth
    Clothes on
    6.15am Set off
    7.45am Arrive work
    Short shower at work
    Slump at desk for an hour watching internet while colleagues gradually arrive
    9.00am start "working"
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    CiB wrote:
    ?

Day - some work.

It's interesting (for me) as it shows some folk (LIKE me) do have a routine for getting things prepped and some wing it.

I tried the winging it thing and found I was forgetting all sorts of stuff... like eating, clothes, getting up, that I was actually meant to be cycling in....

Same here - if it isnt part of a strict routine or written on a list of stuff to do or not to forget then it is doomed never to happen!
  • Agent57
    Sketchley wrote:

Do what? Nope; I just get on the bike. If the tyres look relatively flat, I'll just remember to pump them up the next morning. In fact, that's what I did this morning after noticing they were a bit flat yesterday.
  • asprilla
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Would rose-ay make a good alternative? Too late to change my Tesco shopping order :)

The only problem I have with pink wine is that it should only be drunk in direct sunlight. If you are drinking under artificial light or candels then red wine is where it's at.

Chocolate can be consumed at any time, in any form and under any conditions. It should be from the fridge though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • This must be worlds most boring thread.....

Evening

Home
    leave bike in garage
    Wash hands
    Hug kids & wife
    Shower
    Wash kids and put to bed
    Wash up / tidy up
    Cook
    Eat & watch telly
    Shave
    Get work clothes packed
    Get cycling clothes out
    Sleep like a log in between being woken up by children, generally 2-3 times per night

Morning
    Wake up, wake up children or children wake me up
    Get them dressed
    Feed children
    Dress myself
    Continue to supervise breakfast & eat my breakfast / make lunch for wife and I whilst wife washes and dresses
    Clean eldest’s teeth (youngest does not need this doing yet)
    Run through eldest’s homework
    Play with children, hide & seek / chase - they are only toddlers!
    Help pack wife’s car with her stuff & children
    Wave off family
    Final pre-departure urination
    Check that I have keys, phone, work access card several times
    Lock up & leave house