What is BB30?

2»

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    OK... new BB30 question. I've got BB30 on my CAAD 9 and just completed my first 1000 miles. Is there any maintenance/checks I should be carrying out on the bottom bracket? Is it completely sealed?

Just like when my two kids were being born, I haven't actually been 'down there' yet to see what's going on between the crank arms. :oops:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Is there any maintenance/checks I should be carrying out on the bottom bracket? Is it completely sealed?

it's no more 'sealed' than any other type of BB, to be fair. The sealing is not the issue....
  • ratsbeyfus
    softlad wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Is there any maintenance/checks I should be carrying out on the bottom bracket? Is it completely sealed?

it's no more 'sealed' than any other type of BB, to be fair. The sealing is not the issue....

OK, so should I fettle with it now?

@ratsbey
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

only if it needs 'fettling' - if the bearings are running smoothly and there's no play in the cranks, I can't see why you would need to....
  • ratsbeyfus
    softlad wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

only if it needs 'fettling' - if the bearings are running smoothly and there's no play in the cranks, I can't see why you would need to....

OK... I won't fiddle. Promise.

@ratsbey
  • sungod wrote:
    bb30 IS a standard, specifically an open standard, just like rfc5905 and thousands of others

this is the standard: http://www.bb30standard.com/tech_images ... andard.pdf
    any manufacturer can use it, if they want, no royalties, it's a free world

whether it is a better/worse standard than any other is debatable

but it's a standard

Nope, it's a specification not a standard. If it was a standard the worlds largest manufacturer of bicycle components (and a number of other smaller ones) would make parts for it. I'd be able to go into any bike store an buy a BB30 crankset or whatever. I did read ages ago that Shimano said they would never make a BB30 crankset. (It will be interesting to see if they change their mind)

Instead for cranks you have FSA (mostly an OEM trying to get market share), SRAM and Cannondale with their SI of course (who have a vested interest). The frames with BB30 mostly appear to be "American" brands.

Declaring a specification as a standard, doesn't make it so.

Having said that, if it did become a standard because it proved worthwhile, great. As long as we don't have a million variations as I said earlier (BB86, PF90 blah blah).

There might not be a headset standard, but headsets are £30 not £300.