What is BB30?

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
I've figured out it's something to do with the bottom bracket area and it makes the frame stiffer but what does it actually mean?

What's the cheapest carbon bike around with it?

Comments

• Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    No. It's the new series of Big Brother
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    BB30 is a standard for the construction of an over-sized bottom bracket. It was designed to produce the most power transfer from the rider to the transmission with no flex. Basically, it's a set of dimensions for construction to ensure that all BB30 are the same. It should also ensure that any component made for use with a BB30 should fit and work correctly, regardless of the manufacturer.

That's the theory anyway ;)
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    What no one has yet said is what it physically is.

The oversize bearings are press-fit into the frame itself. So no BB threads, no outboard bearings, and an improvement all round (apparently).

Clicky
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    BB30 is a free, open standard that any manufacturer can use.
    It is different to the usual standard threaded bottom bracket.
    The frame needs a wider diameter BB shell so there is more contact between the fat downtube/seat-tube and the BB shell.
    The width is narower than normal for better aerodynamics.

The spec is for the interface of bearings to frame and spindle to bearings.

http://www.bb30standard.com/index.html
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    PeteMadoc wrote:

seriously, don't buy a bike just because it has BB30.....
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    softlad wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

+1
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Yes and when people say standard, they don't really mean it. I mean bike manufacturers can claim what they want, but the fact it neither Shimano nor Campagnolo actually make BB30 cranksets.

The other thing is there are a number of similar but not quite the same variations..BB90, BB86, PF30.

Pick a standard, any standard.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    softlad wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

+1

I still don't really know what it is. Something about a bigger bearing? I suppose what I meant was what difference does it make to me riding the bike. SFA I'd guess will be the answer but humour me.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,897
    because it's so big, you can fit cranksets for other bb types into bb30 standard frames

so although shimano, campag etc. don't make dedicated bb30 cranksets, they can still be used on a bb30 frame

campag makes this to fit their cranksets to bb30...

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groups ... tid_12.jsp

and there are similar things available for shimano etc., for instance...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road- ... 767.0.html
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Cannondale invented BB30 and then made it an open standard that many other manufacturers are adopting.

I have it on my CAAD9 and Six and it does seem stiffer than other bottom brackets I've ridden but then that might just be my imagination. I think its supposed to be lighter as elimates the external bearings.
  • sungod
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    I still don't really know what it is. Something about a bigger bearing? I suppose what I meant was what difference does it make to me riding the bike. SFA I'd guess will be the answer but humour me.

narrower - better aero, smaller q-factor (crank spacing)

maybe saves some weight vs traditional bb

allows bigger spindle, 30mm vs typical 25mm, should be stiffer

versatility - you can still use non-bb30 cranksets with it

day to day, it is the reduced q-factor that would make the most difference for some people, but if you don't need it then no big deal

on the other hand, my new bike is bb30, which means bb30 is lovely :-)
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    sungod wrote:

I'm a little suspect of the Shimano version from Wheels Mfg. being made of Delrin (Plastic). I can't say for sure but it would seem this is a very poor choice of material to support a BB. I know Delrin is a hard plastic but it still seems a little on the soft side. Does anyone have experience with this?
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    edited October 2010
    sungod wrote:

narrower - better aero, smaller q-factor (crank spacing)

The BB itself is wider, surely? Maybe more "aero" as in the downtube allows air to flow around it easily (?). Are my pedals actually closer together using a BB30 crankset?

Edit: well I googled and you're probably right if you're saying that the tread of the pedals is narrower.
    sungod wrote:
    on the other hand, my new bike is bb30, which means bb30 is lovely :-)

Mine too, definitely stiffer and allows for more power transfer. Deffo. No question. Absolutely not a marketing device to sell more equipment, oh no. It is lovely though.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I was also initially cautious about BB30.. now convinced..
    oh and a 2.5cm difference between my Allez and the C'dale Synapse.
    Sweet.
  • sungod
    sungod wrote:

I'm a little suspect of the Shimano version from Wheels Mfg. being made of Delrin (Plastic). I can't say for sure but it would seem this is a very poor choice of material to support a BB. I know Delrin is a hard plastic but it still seems a little on the soft side. Does anyone have experience with this?

tbh it was just a random choice, certainly never tried these, there are a few bb30 to x adaptors out there
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    surely this belongs in Road Beginners. This is a really basic question.

I wanna talk about buying stuff.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    One benefit of BB30 as I understand it is that you are able to use a thicker spindle in the bottom bracket... this enables you to make your BB spindle out of aluminium rather than heavier steel.

I may have dreamt the above, or I may have read it somewhere a long time ago. Please shoot me down if I'm wrong!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    My frame is BB30 compatible but has a Shimano BB in there at the moment.

Someone said that BB30 allows for a smaller Q factor however I reckon if my cranks were any closer together either they or my heels would start hitting the chain stays so I'm content to stay with Shimano.
  • BB30 is an American inspired marketing stunt to make you think the frame you bought only a couple of years ago is now obsolete.

Wise up fellow cyclists. It weren't us bloody cyclists that wanted yet another new standard.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Modern frames have already broken the traditional "standard" with the multitude of internal and semi integrated headset designs. Whilst headset bearings have been tucked inside the frame, bottom bracket bearings are now draped outside.
    The BB shell is long due for an update, the diameter is only fit for a traditional square taper style, anything else is severely compromised. The advantages of a wider diameter are that you can use larger bearings, they are tucked inside, away from the dirt, the frame tubes have a larger area of contact.
    The only decision is which standard should the industry agree on. The answer is probably, all of them.
  • softlad
    MichaelW wrote:
    , they are tucked inside, away from the dirt,

I'm sure BB30 has advantages, but I don't think that is one of them. The crank bearings are still immediately inboard of the crank arms, regardless of whether the BB is BB30 or 'standard' external. The relative distance between the two bearings on BB30 might be less - but they are no more protected from the elements because of it....
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    just to add another term into the mix:

What is a "press-fit" bottom bracket? (and how is it different to a "normal" BB or BB30?)
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • softlad
    Thinbo wrote:

What is a "press-fit" bottom bracket? (and how is it different to a "normal" BB or BB30?)

probably refers to BB30 - the bearings are a press fit into the BB shell...
  • sungod
    Thinbo wrote:

bb30 bearings are press fited into the bb30 shell

but "pressfit 30" is another bb style created by sram

it takes bb30 cranksets, but the bearings are fitted in larger cups, rather than going direct into the bb shell

this complete cup/bearing assembly is then pressed into the bb shell (which is larger diameter than bb30)
  • berk bonebonce has it.

I've owned traditional, outboard, BB86 and BB30 frames ... honestly ANY of them can be stiff enough for anyone on this board if built correctly.

When paired with a human being there's a lot more to an efficient bike than stiffness - it is way over-rated on this forum ... to the point where I suspect people are actually buying bikes that will perform much less well than a bike they've discounted because it's less stiff.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    BB30 is an American inspired marketing stunt to make you think the frame you bought only a couple of years ago is now obsolete.

Wise up fellow cyclists. It weren't us bloody cyclists that wanted yet another new standard.

+ 1

Shimano and Campag requires an adaptor to use it. BB30 is NOT an industry standard. Cannondale came up with it and FSA have took it up. Your DA/Record bike is not obsolete/heavier/slower without it.
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    MichaelW wrote:
    . The advantages of a wider diameter are that you can use larger bearings, they are tucked inside, away from the dirt, the frame tubes have a larger area of contact.
    The only decision is which standard should the industry agree on. The answer is probably, all of them.

Aren't the bearings on a square taper BB inside the shell, away from the dirt? Trek took the external bearing idea and beefed up the BB area of the Madone so the bearings were moved inboard via press-fit cups I think. Strange that track bikes still use square taper so the idea must still be good.
    M.Rushton
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The square taper bearings do seem to run a lot smoother.
  • sungod
    mrushton wrote:
    BB30 is an American inspired marketing stunt to make you think the frame you bought only a couple of years ago is now obsolete.

+ 1

Shimano and Campag requires an adaptor to use it. BB30 is NOT an industry standard. Cannondale came up with it and FSA have took it up. Your DA/Record bike is not obsolete/heavier/slower without it.

bb30 IS a standard, specifically an open standard, just like rfc5905 and thousands of others

this is the standard: http://www.bb30standard.com/tech_images ... andard.pdf

any manufacturer can use it, if they want, no royalties, it's a free world

whether it is a better/worse standard than any other is debatable

but it's a standard
  • yes, square taper / octalink are in-board and sealed. they do run smoother and it's not just imagination ... they aren't at the mercy of how pre-loaded the cranks/bearings are when fitted. Campag's design is better than Shimano but not perfect due to the fundamental problems with pre-load and drag.

BTW, the two posters above are using "standard" in a different sense of the word. Both are right.