Forecasting another severe Winter

2»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    Bit premature all this talk of cold. I'd put on the waterproof jacket this am because of the rain and was sweating like a dog when I got to work, so much so that I carried on sweating after I got out the shower - not good. On the way home tonight I had to strip down to my base layer when I got to the first of the 'hills' on the way home.

MTFU ! :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Would these fit a bike that currently has 26 x 1.6 tyres fitted?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/24475/Schwalbe_Snow_Stud_Wire_Tyre

Should be fine but check for clearance - you'd probably need different tubes as well. They look a bit overkill TBH though.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • mese13
    mese13 Posts: 38
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Exactly - I rode all of last winter in shorts, a underarmour baselayer and fleece (or jacket if it was snowing). Can't even get a skull cap comfortably under by helmet. If I got chilly, I just put the hammer down.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm just waiting for one of the Northern Celtic breathren to tell us how much worse the Winter is north of the border and how we're all a bunch of soft Southern jessies :)

Sorry to bust your bubble pal but anything north of Euston road is quite frankly a no go zone, there be beasties and many uncharted dangers.

Cue for another Silly Commuter Expetition to the North Pole ?

The pub? Excellent, it's jsut round the corner from my office, so I'll be there....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful.... tumtitum dum dum dum

Let it snow let it snow let it snow....

:D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bit premature all this talk of cold. I'd put on the waterproof jacket this am because of the rain and was sweating like a dog when I got to work, so much so that I carried on sweating after I got out the shower - not good. On the way home tonight I had to strip down to my base layer when I got to the first of the 'hills' on the way home.

Not so sure it is... I was up in Scotland 2 weeks back and two guys came into the Hotel bar I was in reporting snow. then the week after, the press finally caught up with the information

I saw the temperature drop to 4.5 celsius while I was up there and saw that temp again last week while driving to work.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • There was a frost where I live last week. It almost made me put on a long-sleeved jersey.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful.... tumtitum dum dum dum

Let it snow let it snow let it snow....

:D

Yippee-ki-ay, motherfrogger!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    It really hasn't got that cold yet here - I haven't even put the central heating on.

This week I'm mostly wearing my Gore Phantom (with sleeves off) and shorts.

And although I'm now using my new MW80s I've had to take my Sealskinz winter socks off.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • And my heating's not on at all. I did wear tights today, though, and my Altura night-vision, but that was mostly to try and stay as dry as possible.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    hmm i can see a set of studded tyres being ordered :)

was great fun in the winter last year in the snow
  • Agent57
    I read some reviews of the Schwalbe Snow Studs, and they weren't great. In the end, I've gone for some Schwalbe Ice Spikers. I fear they may be overkill. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Does that mean I simply *have* to buy a Surly Pugsley? :wink:
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    My next bike*:
    35---Tracked-bicycle.jpg

* I may not be telling the whole truth
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Incidentally, how does that go round corners without dropping the tracks?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    rjsterry wrote:
    Incidentally, how does that go round corners without dropping the tracks?

Bunny hop and a hip-twist. Schoolboy stuff.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    There are potential chafing issues that I don't want to think about too hard...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    There are potential chafing issues that I don't want to think about too hard...

Chafing?

I was thinking more along the lines of "disintegration".

"Do you expect me to stay on this saddle, Goldfinger?"
    "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die".
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bring it on - the mighty Vulcan hasn't seen nearly enough action this year.
    Can't wait to "Lapp" it up, red nose and all.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    It is still above 10C during the day. Some places have had frost, but not where I live.
    Can be a touch "fresh" at 7am, but not too bad.

My only issue is the rainfall. Last night commute home was fine, them as was heading out on MTB, the heavens opened and stayed on all night. Completely soaked and covered in mud. Superb fun though......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Cairngorm webcam from a few days ago:

ptarmigan_large.jpg

It's metled now but was about 2" thick on the plateau. We've already had -ve overnight temps in Aviemore and -5 on the hill.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    My studded tyres are ready for refitting from last winter. Came in useful for the snow, and the ice - freekin awesome they are. On icy mornings, the fixed will stay in, and the MTB with tungsten spikes will be out. I also take a mostly 'off road' route as well - makes a refreshing change.

The day it was really bad (first day of snow) jumped on MTB, rode in the fresher snow (-15) on the pavement for a couple of miles, before hitting the off-road section - arrived only slightly late for work. Got sent home early - no-one else in, so took the long route home - almost two hours off road in -10. Spent the next two weeks riding off road until the snow cleared.