Forecasting another severe Winter

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
So get prepared. They're saying it's going to be as bad as last year with -20 a possibility

Personally I'm looking forward to the challenge and the bemused expressions on people's faces when I rock up on the bike 8)

On a more immediate note - tights or no tights on the way home tonight? I'm leaving at about 6:15 and sunset is at 6:30 (12 miles to do)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    shorts will be fine
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Saw this in the Metro. Must be true.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Shorts, very mild out today
  • yeah, who knows I might have to wear... 3 layers!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Yay!

:D

I love snow, me...

I was in tights this morning, but in my defence, I got up at 5 and it was cold.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Ha! Told Mrs TWH I needed an MTB! I rock!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Yay!

I love snow, me...

Didn't you drive?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • just like "they" predicted a BBQ summer the other year?
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Yay!

I love snow, me...

Didn't you drive?

Yes, Essex to Ealing, then straight on the bike and in to Mayfair.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Tights came on today for the first time. They won't come off until March at the earliest now.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Judging by the tingling in me didgits this morning it may be gloves with fingers tomorrow morning.....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    cjcp wrote:
    Tights came on today for the first time. They won't come off until March at the earliest now.

Jesus, they will be walking by themselves before then!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    edited October 2010
    God I hope so!

then I'll be able to afford to get another bike

look at website
  • cjcp wrote:

It's a rather extreme form of contraception CJ...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

It's a rather extreme form of contraception CJ...

:twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    just like "they" predicted a BBQ summer the other year?

or a mild winter last year :roll:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I wiah I could find the link again - but the people who forecast it are the people who DID forecast the severe Winter last year
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:

Been wearing tights or full legs warmers since pre Alps and intend to continue until there's at least 7 days of 20c plus.

Bleeding hate the cold, hrumph! :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • didn't have a problem last year, the big green hybrid was fine. if its gets a lot worse than last year I have the MTB with it's mud spike tires that really is almost unstoppable.

so bring it on! ;-)
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I had a big off last year on some black ice - didn't break anything but I couldn't ride for 2 weeks. Got some nice scars to show for it including a beauty where a tooth on my big ring embedded itself into my ankle and gashed open a large hole, and this was on a MTB with shallow nobbies (thought I was being safe!). Kind of made me very wary of cold days now...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm just waiting for one of the Northern Celtic breathren to tell us how much worse the Winter is north of the border and how we're all a bunch of soft Southern jessies :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Last winter rocked. Fewer people on the trails and an even bigger sense of satisfaction for the 3hr Sunday morning turbo if you have to dig through a snowdrift to get at the garage door. Another winter like that would be ace.

(The irony of it all was that I got through a heavy winter's riding and training despite all the snow and ice, then broke my femur when I hit a patch of diesel on a ride in early March. )
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Recommendations for riding through slush? The snow last winter wasn't a problem (used a MTB) but the slush was a right menace.
    Steve C
  • itboffin
    Mr Plum wrote:
    I had a big off last year on some black ice - didn't break anything but I couldn't ride for 2 weeks. Got some nice scars to show for it including a beauty where a tooth on my big ring embedded itself into my ankle and gashed open a large hole, and this was on a MTB with shallow nobbies (thought I was being safe!). Kind of made me very wary of cold days now...

I had two off's last year in black ice luckily it was on quiet country lanes and I was wearing so many clothes I didn't hurt myself, I did however stop commuting on 23c slicks and switched to 32c 240 stud MTB tyres, then spent the rest of the winter trying to get used to being able to ride fast over ice, slip / grip is just weird.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    I'm just waiting for one of the Northern Celtic breathren to tell us how much worse the Winter is north of the border and how we're all a bunch of soft Southern jessies :)

Sorry to bust your bubble pal but anything north of Euston road is quite frankly a no go zone, there be beasties and many uncharted dangers.
  • itboffin wrote:

Sorry to bust your bubble pal but anything north of Euston road is quite frankly a no go zone, there be beasties and many uncharted dangers.

Meh, it's not too bad up here, but then I live by the coast. Also, every time we do wind you up about it, we get someone from Norway or Canada telling us to MTFU.
  • cjcp
    sc999cs wrote:
    Recommendations for riding through slush? The snow last winter wasn't a problem (used a MTB) but the slush was a right menace.

I used my 30mm cross tyres at around 40psi. And took it very steadily.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:

Cue for another Silly Commuter Expetition to the North Pole ?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    WTF is up with tights in these temperatures? MTFU people!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Would these fit a bike that currently has 26 x 1.6 tyres fitted?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/24475/Schwalbe_Snow_Stud_Wire_Tyre
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,