water bladder - left full of water for a month

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bennet, you were the one who started an argument, from a conversation I was trying to have with njee.
    Now go hide under your rock again, like a nice little troll.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Bennet, you were the one who started an argument, from a conversation I was trying to have with njee.
    Now go hide under your rock again, like a nice little troll.
    I think your definition of argument seems to be the same as the definition of "conversation". Now before you go tell me to hide under a rock, why don't you go learn some interpersonal skills.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    I'd like to meet him in person too, in the hope that he would speak to me in that way, then I could sit back and relax knowing he was spending the rest of his life eating through a straw....
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • hyperman wrote:
    I'd like to meet him in person too, in the hope that he would speak to me in that way, then I could sit back and relax knowing he was spending the rest of his life eating through a straw....

Haha oh joy :roll:.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    platypus? poor thing

the idea of having some stella tho, whilst riding , now thats in idea!

bit of trail beater.... :D

yee FTW!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Not using the tights idea then?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Right. So was alchohol, was it not? No boiling there.
    And do you think they had kettles when they invented tea? Cause if so you are a monumental clumpet.
    Yes, alcohol was also invented to kill bacteria, as a matter of fact i could use that to clean my bladder if i so wished, though my riding skills may deteriorate slightly :lol:

The whole point of drinking beer in the middle ages was that it is boiled during the brewing process. The levels of alcohol in most beer are too low to kill bacteria.
  • Anonymous
    neninja wrote:
    The levels of alcohol in most beer are too low to kill bacteria.
    Oh, that is interesting. But, on the flipside, I bet if you drank enough beer, you really wouldn't care abotu the bacteria?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    yeehaamcgee is correct, boiling water flushed through a bladder will not kill all the bacteria by a long way. Plus it's often the byproducts of the bacteria that make you ill, the chemicals they output which also won't necessarily break down or be flush out with a rinse of boiling water.

Steam sterilisers for babies bottles keep the bottle in boiling conditions for 10 minutes of more to ensure sterilisation.

The freezer thing is also only for relatively clean bladders, it only slows down the growth of the bacteria, it doesn't kill them so if it's already full of loads of bacteria they will still be there after freezing. The sterilisation tablets are effectively bleach so they kill the bacteria and help to break down the chemicals the bacteria have created. It's also a good way of ensuring all parts of the bladder are reached, fill the resevoir including the tube, suck out the air (very carefully although a little bit of sterilising fluid in the mouth isn't going to hurt as long as you spit and don't swallow), leave for at least 30 mins and rinse out.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • chris_sw
    chris_sw Posts: 100
    hyperman wrote:

Go internet tough guy!

internettoughguybecause.jpg
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    yeehaamcgee is correct, boiling water flushed through a bladder will not kill all the bacteria by a long way.

Probably not, but I've never got ill, and I'm certainly not careful with mine, in fact it's still sitting in my wardrobe with a bit of High 5 in it, ready to come out again in 8 months.

A friend of mine never used to clean it, it would have black furry mould all over it, his justification; "it's my mould". Not sure about that, but hey!
  • Can you not microwave the bladder - that would kill any bacteria.?
  • bennett_346
    Can you not microwave the bladder - that would kill any bacteria.?
    Im not sure i'd like to try to be perfectly honest with you, would it not melt it?
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Milton sterilising tablet once a month and in between I just rinse it out with clean water after every ride and stick it in the freezer.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    yeehaamcgee is correct, boiling water flushed through a bladder will not kill all the bacteria by a long way.

Probably not, but I've never got ill, and I'm certainly not careful with mine, in fact it's still sitting in my wardrobe with a bit of High 5 in it, ready to come out again in 8 months.

A friend of mine never used to clean it, it would have black furry mould all over it, his justification; "it's my mould". Not sure about that, but hey!
    The bladder itself has certain anti-microbial agents remember, meaning it's fairly immune to most things. But when I see that mould, eugh, it needs to be killed with Milton, or fire.
    Obviously, Milton menas you can use it again, so unfortunately it wins over the fire option.
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    I bet the OP didn't think this thread would end up how it has?

Arguments
    The Origins of Tea
    Monkeys were bored sh*tless until Tea came along
    The Origins of Alcohol
    The realisation that one of us has a fetish with tights
    Everyone wants to meet Yeehaa
    Domestic Kettles are RUBBISH!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • bennett_346
    LjStronge wrote:
    I bet the OP didn't think this thread would end up how it has?

Arguments
    The Origins of Tea
    Monkeys were bored sh*tless until Tea came along
    The Origins of Alcohol
    The realisation that one of us has a fetish with tights
    Everyone wants to meet Yeehaa
    Domestic Kettles are RUBBISH!
    I've been around just long enough to expect this sort of thing now :lol:
  • so don't drink it
    hates dog walkers
  • I got some baby bottle cleaning stuff from Morrisons, less than a quid for 1.25l, and it only needs 20ml per 2l of water- should last me a while! :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Not if you quaff it from a pint glass :wink:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result