water bladder - left full of water for a month

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I stupidly left my bladder full of water for about a month, just tap water with nothing put in it, but im worried itll be full of bacteria. What can i do to clean it for tomorrow morning?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Put it in the freezer overnight, then flush with boiling water in the morning.

It'll be absolutely fine, I used mine a couple of weeks ago having been half full of High 5 for 8 months!
  • Boots sterilising tablets. £1.50 something for 64.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • bennett_346
    njee20 wrote:
    Put it in the freezer overnight, then flush with boiling water in the morning.

It'll be absolutely fine, I used mine a couple of weeks ago having been half full of High 5 for 8 months!
    Ah excellent, and i bet that looked a treat when you went to get that out!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    If it's just water, and you only ever use water, it'll be fine most likely. Probably practically drinkable. I've certainly done worse.

The real problems arise when you put stuff *other* than water in your camelbak. That's asking for mould and bugs.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I found one of mine after a few weeks - there were black spots in the tube and bladder and some brown floaty slime.

A scrub out and a baby bottle sterilizing tablet and it's fine now.
  • bennett_346
    Its only ever seen tap water before, but from tomorrow i'll be using isotonic powder, so regular cleaning is top of the list. I think i'll invest in some of these cleaning tablets, for £1.50 you cant go wrong.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use the milton fluid. it's meant to be diluted heavily, but I find that if I've left one of my camelbaks neglected for some time, then using the fluid neat can get rid of the civilisations that form inside it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I used to use Steradent tablets, they stained my bladder purple, on the very rare occasions I use one I much prefer the freezer method!
  • bennett_346
    Seems like theres no lack of choice here then!
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    I used to use Steradent tablets, they stained my bladder purple, on the very rare occasions I use one I much prefer the freezer method!
    The freezer method prevents anything forming, but it wouldn't get rid of stuff that's already there, would it?
  • bennett_346
    njee20 wrote:
    The freezer method prevents anything forming, but it wouldn't get rid of stuff that's already there, would it?
    The hot water would kill any bacteria and flush out anything nasty.
  • Sterilizing tablets for baby bottles are also good.

In other news, if you make a tube-cleaning brush to remove growth by taping a cotton bud to a wire coat hanger, you can find you get a cotton bud stuck in the tube. Or so I'm told.
  • Put an old pair of tights over the mouthpiece, and that will filter out any of the nastiness!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    edited October 2010
    njee20 wrote:
    The hot water would kill any bacteria and flush out anything nasty.
    you say "THE" hot water, as though one of us mentioned it.
    Anyway, pouring boiling water won't kill much bacteria. for the same reason as boiling water in a kettle abroad won't stop stomach bug.
    The reason is that most kettles don't tend to actually reach proper boiling point, apparently. And apart from that, even the ones that do don't boil for long enough to kill all the bacteria.

s'what I read on some medical website, anyway.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I store them empty in the freezer (when I remember) after cleaning and sterilizing
  • bennett_346
    you say "THE" hot water, as though one of us mentioned it.
    Anyway, pouring boiling water won't kill much bacteria. for the same reason as boiling water in a kettle abroad won't stop stomach bug.
    The reason is that most kettles don't tend to actually reach proper boiling point, apparently. And apart from that, even the ones that do don't boil for long enough to kill all the bacteria.

s'what I read on some medical website, anyway.
    njee said his method was to put in the freezer and flush with boiling water, and as for boiling water not killing bacteria, why do you think tea was invented?
  • Anonymous
    Why tea was invented? To keep monkeys happy.
    I have no idea why tea was invented.

But, the kettles and boiled water thing was some medical advice on travelling abroad. I'd trust that before I trust you - your eyes look a bit beady.
  • bennett_346
    tea was invented as a way of killing bacteria in dirty water, you monkey.
  • Anonymous
    Right. So was alchohol, was it not? No boiling there.
    And do you think they had kettles when they invented tea? Cause if so you are a monumental clumpet.
  • They had teapots.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bennett_346
    Right. So was alchohol, was it not? No boiling there.
    And do you think they had kettles when they invented tea? Cause if so you are a monumental clumpet.
    Yes, alcohol was also invented to kill bacteria, as a matter of fact i could use that to clean my bladder if i so wished, though my riding skills may deteriorate slightly :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Look, the point, which you have so wildly missed, is that domestic kettles don't go hot enough, for long enough to kill all the bacteria found in water.
    I don't want a history lesson. And even if I did, I don;t think anybody invented tea to purify water, more a by-product.
  • bennett_346
    I'm sure it'll kill enough of it for me to survive.
  • Anonymous
    fine, you argumentative cnut. Can we leave it at that now?
    I recommended a method, you religiously defended yours, even though I was not attacking it.
    Let's move the fcuk on. :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    tea was invented as a way of killing bacteria in dirty water, you monkey.
    Tea was invented by people who hadn't discovered coffee yet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Ok, so just to clarify. Do I fill my bladder with tea or alcohol in order to keep it clean? Or should I just hedge by bets and put a bit of both in? would certainly make the rides more interesting anyway :)

On a serious note, I have just ordered a platypus cleaning kit (it has brushed to clean the bladder and tube). I have always used water but would like to use an isotonic drink instead but have just been put of by having to try and get it clean afterwards.
  • Anonymous
    Very true. Obviously if they had discovered coffe they wouldn't have bothered.

And another thing. I bet they hadn't discovered teasmaids yet.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    I recommended a method, you religiously defended yours, even though I was not attacking it.

Do you speak to people like this in person? Or just just behind your protective screen?
  • Anonymous
    In person, mostly. to people who need it.
  • bennett_346
    hyperman wrote:

Do you speak to people like this in person? Or just just behind your protective screen?
    If you see a post by him you can almost garuantee it'll be argumentative. I reckon he's a bit of an arsehole frankly, i'd love to meet him in person.