I want to ride but its raining :(

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 754
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I'm stuck indoors.. outside the weather is varying between a heavy drizzle and raiin.. and all i want to do is get out on my bike to ride the loop i had planned on riding to improve my fitness. Of the 16 miles only about half is actually off road and even that is flat and gravelly mostly. But still - i just want to get out and peddle.. should i just deal with the soaking and go for it? I can't imagine doing it in a waterproof jacket as i would sweat like crazy underneath.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Standard forum response of MTFU.

Or

Get a breathable waterproof jacket & some sealskinz socks & gloves, some waterproof shorts & go ride.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    are you a puff?
    Just go ride.
  • dubcat
    lol ok. got to help do some house cleaning first apparently :( Bah.

Will go ride after! Just wanted to make sure it is not like compulsive obsessive unusual behaviour to go out for a ride when its raining. I'm new at all this ya know :)
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • MTFU!!
    Riding is superb when the trails are wet!

Had an amazing ride round the Twrch Trail this morning!!
  • I was going to tell you to just go out and ride, but I'm still laughing at Yeehaa's comment.

We're in the wrong country if all you want to do is ride in dry weather (assuming you're in the UK, of course!).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • dubcat
    I am in the uk. If i was going to ride a proper trail i would just go out for it - but the majority of my ride will be on road and the off road bits are just kinda gravelly flat trail (national cycle route 21).
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    got to help do some house cleaning first apparently.

I was never confused!
  • Anonymous
    i wouldnt go out if it is already raining.

my advice is to stay in and have a lovely sit on the sofa.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    it's all right for you, you've got a legitimate sofa time reason with having your arm chopped off temporarily.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    NCR 21 is my local one - Do it!! Great conditions today, quite warm, the rain means you don't have to drink as much, too! :P
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Dubcat when it rains it's an extra challenge to attack pesky roots in Surrey Hills! Wait till we get snow, then its a -proper ride. Cycling in thick forest is different to cycling on open roads, you wouldn't get as much rain there. It's kind of part of experience really.
    Otherwise just slap yourself and sit on sofa, even myself I am not fond of that delicious pie with a beer. All is good.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    What's MTFU? I keep seeing it. Is it rude? That'd probably be my response anyway, if it means getting out and riding.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • Anonymous
    it means man the fcuk up.

often spouted by people who arent particularly manly
  • I'm not manly I work in care, I spend my life working with and for women.

But I do love mud, had a nice ride in the wet woods. I much prefer winter to summer riding as i love the cold weather.
  • Anonymous
    I'm not manly I work in care, I spend my life working with and for women.
    I'm a yeast infection, which means I live my life inside women. I love the moist conditions, in fact I thrive on it.
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    it means man the fcuk up.
    Good. Like it. That's my response, then. Grrrrr.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • Dude I posted a similar thing about riding when very windy. In the end after the first post of "MTFU" I went for it. After the grin I had on my face, I don't care what the weather is like, i'm riding. Bad weather just makes the trails more fun.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    jeez, wot are you guys like? See if it rains and you want to go out.....Just go out!! You'll feel far better for it when you get back home. Safe and smug in the knowledge that while you braved the elements and put some miles in, thousands didn;t because they couldn't face it! I always go out whatever the weather because i need to be riding or i just get hacked off about being beaten by the rain. Life is too short to miss a ride!!! :wink:
  • Anonymous
    aaah, feeling smug, now i get it.
  • Fastlad
    FFS yeeha, i've just noticed your post count :o i can't imagine you riding in the rain :lol:
  • Fastlad wrote:
    FFS yeeha, i've just noticed your post count :o i can't imagine you riding in the rain :lol:

Or riding at all. For what it's worth I joined like a month, and post while laying in bed at night relaxing, and already have like 450 posts, so i'm track to his level in a year or 2
  • Fastlad
    aaah, feeling smug, now i get it.

i love feeling smug. Mega smug all winter, while my mates are thinking up a million excuses for not going out.....i'll be out :lol:
  • Anonymous
    plus you can propell yourself with the smugness so your drivetrain doesnt wear out in the winter grit.
  • Anonymous
    Fastlad wrote:
    I'm not entirely convinced they're all legit. I think I got given a lot of free post count on the old MBUK thread for a laugh once.
    But I tend to use this thing like most people use MSN or facebook. More for chatting about bollorks really, than for just sticking my oar in once or twice.
  • Fastlad
    Yep. It's all good :wink: XT on the MTB and ultegra on my winter road hack. Quality components that take a thrashing :wink: Now, webster, i don't want to hear that you didn't go out tomoz because of the inclement weather that's sweeping the country!!! :wink:
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad wrote:
    I'm not entirely convinced they're all legit. I think I got given a lot of free post count on the old MBUK thread for a laugh once.
    But I tend to use this thing like most people use MSN or facebook. More for chatting about bollorks really, than for just sticking my oar in once or twice.

why don't you try sticking youself in some smart Endura lycra and get out on the bike for a change? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Fastlad wrote:
    Yep. It's all good :wink: XT on the MTB and ultegra on my winter road hack. Quality components that take a thrashing :wink: Now, webster, i don't want to hear that you didn't go out tomoz because of the inclement weather that's sweeping the country!!! :wink:

i wont be out tomorrow but not because of the weather. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Actually, my lycra shorts ARE Endura. Are you spying on me?
  • Fastlad
    Webster. WTF do you mean you're not out tomoz? Sunday's a cycling day. Even if it just a wee 2 hour jaunt!!!! FFS you have your big book of excuses infront of you? :lol:

Yeehaa. I suspect you tried your lycra shorts on in your bedroom....ponced about infront of the mirror then decided to put them back in the drawer???? :lol: