Bike Manufacturers - Pecking order?

2»

Comments

• Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    APIII wrote:
    You can get a custom geo, custom painted frame from someone like Brian Rourke for a lot less, it just doesn't have the cache of the aforementioned boutique brands. So, I still think it's about buying into the ethos rather than any particular tangible benefit.

That's because Rourke etc builds his frames in a cheaper material. However the new 953 frames are more expensive (because the tubes are harder to work with and cost more to buy in).

When you start looking at boutique frame builders who make frames out of titanium and carbon then their prices will be more than Rourke because the base materials are a higher price.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    You do find that more boutique makes do not have the R&R of the volume builders.

I personally have not been able to much of a difference between any carbon frame over £1.5k

You might do if you had a frame specifically built for you
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • So if Specialized are a volume manufacturer, say like Ford, that means my Tarmac SL is the equivalent to one of these...

ford_gt_2005_weiss_l.jpg
  • redrobbo wrote:
    With bikes it's the rider who matters not the machine.
    In that case, I am PREMIUM :P
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696
    NapoleonD wrote:
    APIII wrote:
    You can get a custom geo, custom painted frame from someone like Brian Rourke for a lot less, it just doesn't have the cache of the aforementioned boutique brands. So, I still think it's about buying into the ethos rather than any particular tangible benefit.

Quite possibly. But again, pride of ownership can increase riding enjoyment...

Conversely, spending all that cash can be stressful, especially if you could only stretched it.

It's like an expensive holiday - nothing becomes fun anymore because it "bloody well better be great for this money" etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NapoleonD wrote:
    APIII wrote:

Conversely, spending all that cash can be stressful, especially if you could only stretched it.

It's like an expensive holiday - nothing becomes fun anymore because it "bloody well better be great for this money" etc.

You're doing it wrong then! :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    APIII wrote:

You're doing it wrong then! :wink:

Pfft I'm Dutch - deep pockets, short hands. :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Not to be pedantic, but Audi and VW are essentially owned by the same people although run seperately. They share a lot of parts/engines, etc.

A little like Giant making bikes for loads of other companies.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Yep, most brands outside of premium smell of GIANT. Size matters. Any girl will tell you. German cars are ok but then if you want something you can depend on it has to be 'Power of Dreams'. My bikes are the same.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I'm not sure you could get a better ride than my Wilier - it is as good as I think a ride can get.

I'd second a Baum, for my winter Ti option, though!