Dave Lloyd, Opions as a trainer?

Neil Buckley
Neil Buckley Posts: 334
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Im about to finish a six month tour of Afghanistan and go into the winter base, but because ive been off the bike for six months I want to go see a coach, so to put me in the right direction of training to get me back on track after such a long time off.

I live in the North West, Wirral area and Dave Lloyd lives around here, but ive heard a lot about him. mostly bad to be honest, but ive never met him or known anyone to use his training methods.

Im aiming to break a 21min TT next year, I was at low 23 this year and thats with a 6 month break so any advice will be greatfully excepted!
Helmand Province is such a nice place.....

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    You already say you've heard a lot about him. A quick search on here may confirm those things.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Neil, you could always pop in to the Eureka and ask around there, or phone a few of the local clubs. Quite a few of those guys will have used him with him being local to us, or have some tales to tell.

I've only ever had a bike fitting from Dave, so can't really comment on his training ability.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    there's nothing 'bad' about Dave Lloyd. He has his own views, but then so do most coaches. TBH, if I was ever planning on getting a coach, Dave would be my first call....
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I have used Dave in the past and thought he was great, very motivational
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    If you are prepared to put in the hard miles he's your man - if you are looking for a scientific, data based approach he isn't seems to be the feedback I've heard about him. Like him or not he's still riding very strongly himself so there must be something in his methods.

If you ask him nicely he may let you know of some of his achievements but he doesn't usually like to talk about them :wink:
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Dr Garry Palmer at www.sportstest.co.uk = excellent - he'll set you up for winter.
  • My brother has trained with him for a good number of years. He had to take a break from his first experience with him ( a block of around 16 months of training), as due to him splitting 2 discs in his back, he couldn't train anymore, indeed he was told it would be unlikely that he would ride a bike again let alone race.

The first time my brother used Dave, he was an already accomplished Time Trialler and Cat 1/ Cat 2 road racer, but Dave still elevated his performance and all around abilities to an even better level; its not just the physical side with Dave either, he is MASSIVELY motivational and a mine of knowledge. He really has 'been there/ and done that'!

I trained with Dave, and he was fantastic! I found the the structure that he bought to my training really beneficial, not to mention interesting. I had to give up after 7 months with him because i couldn't afford it; not that he's expensive, its just that with my job and lifestyle, something had to give, but if i could afford it, i would definately train with him again.

Now my brothers second 'term' of training started this time last year almost to the week. He's had a break of almost 5 years, but Dave has helped my brother back again to a very good level, with even more to come. He has improved over the course of the year by nearly 4 minutes in his 10 mile TT times and been in amongst some of the best in the country in some of his events. Even in his road racing he has placed, despite using these as training on the whole in the midst of some of his 'heaviest' training weeks.

I suppose to 'round fence' my opinions (and i think some of my brother's opinions too..)
    Dave is a brilliant and empathetic coach, who thrives on feedback to really get the most from each of his athletes. He is inspirational and driven but like any coach, won't be everybody's 'cup of tea'. You ultimately have to find a coach that works for you, but he has (and stiil does) coach some of the UK's best amateurs to a very high level, and alot of the UK's brightest talents have come via Dave before moving into the British Cycling Academy and WCPP/ Olympic program etc. Indeed some of them are now World and Olympic medalists.
    Dave Lloyd Complete Coaching. It works! :D
  • I have been with Dave for about a year and found him to be very good. He is very responsive to questions and accommodating. His fees are quite expensive but on a per day basis not that much if you value progress and want to see definite gains over a period of time. I would rather pay to get a tailored coaching schedule instead of a derivative plan which another coach might mailshot to his or her clients. I have come from complete novice to meeting my first year goals and becoming a much stronger cyclist.

I cannot comment on other coaches on a personal level since I have only used Dave but his weekly schedule arrives on time every Saturday morning at silly o'clock. For the first few weeks I was shocked by the volume of work prescribed (both in terms of time committment and impact upon my body as a novice cyclist) but one has to trust him as he knows what he is doing. This was particularly so when I felt that I should have been going hell for leather on the road over the winter rather than cruising in Zone 2. In terms of self motivation, its always good to know that he wouldn't prescribe anything which he hasn't or wouldn't be prepared to do himself.

His weekly prescribed work is always varied and interesting. There is a fair bit of suffering but I tend to enjoy the pain. I know people on here make comments about his personal traits but, irrespective of the merits or otherwise of these comments, I do not have any issues with Dave on a personal level. Like most successful sports people, singlemindedness can often be mistaken for arrogance but I always got on fine with Dave. He is a straight talker and always always keeps his side of the bargain which is much preferable than a spoofer who over promises and under performs.

I am sure that there are many fine coaches out there and good luck with whoever you ultimately select. If you keep your side of the pack with Dave, you will be fine and see very big improvements in your cycling.
  • Fair one there is a lot of good comments here, im between im and Adrian Timmis at the mo, so i'll think ill do some futher reading before I crack on and decide, has anyone else used Timmis?
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    I think NapoleonD might be using Timmisbut could be wrong.