Tae Kwon Do or other martial arts?

stannie
stannie Posts: 167
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Does anyone do Tae Kwan Do or any other martial arts to help their cycling?

Any suggestions for another martial art which will improve core body strength, hopefully one that doesn't involve me getting hurt!
....................................................................................................
Waterford RS-14
Trek Domane SL6
Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    origami..?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rather than a Martial Art I would suggest Yoga...

I did Kung Fu to quite a high level but I'm a crap cyclist.
  • I got attacked once by a tai chi expert.....took four hours to beat me up.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I did Kuk Sool Won (Kung Fu) & Kyu Kushin Kai (Karate) into the Dan levels... I wouldn't say it will aid your cycling.
    Better of doing specific core body strength exercise...
    Unless you're contesting a sprint finish, in which case Kuk Sool Won could prove very handy! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Kendo will help your cycling no end. FFS. :roll:
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • As a Black belt in TKD I would say the only benefit you will get towards cycling is improved flexibility.

Depening on what type of riding you want to do it may help with fitness but if you are looking to do long Sportive rides then there is no real endurance benefit. It could be argued the exact opposite as you need lots of fast twitch muscle for TKD.

On the other side if you are only cycling for fun it will certainly keep you fit, especially through the winter, and it's enjoyable.

Or if you come across Mark Renshaw trying to head butt you in a sprint you'll be able to defend your self :lol:
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    Ok thanks for the helpful (and not so helpful) posts.
    All I was trying to find out was which martial arts are good for core body strength and don't involve getting beaten to a pulp.
    I am no Lance Armstrong (or indeed Emma Pooley), and I will never win any races or break any records. I just want to get fit and enjoy my cycling, and possibly introduce some other activities into my limited exercise regime.

Thanks Nap D - yoga might be a better way to go.

hopper and lochindaal - I will bear that in mind :wink:
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I did ninjutsu for a few years and cycling was one of the sports recommended by instructors as strong legs are beneficial. Doing martial arts wouldn't specifically help your cycling, but I did a lot more stretching, particularly the legs, than I do now which is good for your souplesse and injury prevention. Plus it's good for general fitness and your ability to put up with pain (important for us masochists). And you can beat up people who throw eggs at you when you're out on your bike.
  • Judos pretty good - good for learning about your body - adn good for overall strength. Won't improve cycling much but will keep you fit!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To be fair, ballroom dancing and ballet would be just as effective as a martial art in terms of fitness...
  • To be fair, ballroom dancing and ballet would be just as effective as a martial art in terms of fitness

and your padded cycling shorts could look like ballet tights
  • Pilates would be better still.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Pilates would be better still.

Good, 'cos I'm about to start doing that... See if I can get a lower position on my TT bike next year. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    NapoleonD wrote:
    To be fair, ballroom dancing and ballet would be just as effective as a martial art in terms of fitness...

After about 25 years of MA training, I would concurr with the above. If you want to to improve flexibility, go on a Yoga course to learn the positions, then carry on at home once the course is done. That's plenty stretching for a cyclist.