Turbo - VR or Not? With a MTB or not?

a900ss
a900ss Posts: 91
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I’ll be buying a Turbo within the next fortnight and have approx £250 to spend. Recommendations most welcome.

Alternatively I may splash the cash a bit more and get a Tacx I-Magic as I do like my gadgets and I know it will help my motivation. Putting the cash to one side, is the I-Magic a good trainer?

Finally, I want to be able to use my road bike on weekends so if I put my MTB on the trainer, would it be as effective or would you guys recommend using a road bike only?

Thanks
2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
Diet started 1/1/2010

Comments

• I've never tried it but I imagine nobbly tyres wouldn't be great - other than that can't see why you shouldn't use a MTB - I assume they adjust to fit them. Obviously if you can train as specifically as you can that's better so road bike would be preferable if that's your focus but a winter using your bike on the turbo can cause sweat damage unless you are very careful - just make sure you stop the sweat dripping onto the headset and components.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Don't use knobblies - it's awful!

Get a cheap slick tyre, it'll make life a lot more comfortable.
  • If I did use my MTB I would put slicks on it.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
    Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for using an MTB? Just use your road bike - it only takes 30 seconds to unclip/clip into the turbo