PETE READS BLACK BOOK

gterry74
gterry74 Posts: 3
Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help me find out where I can get a copy of Pete Reads book. Im looking to improve my short T T .10 nd 25 times next season and have been given his name. I have looked on a few sites and it would seem there are a few different colours.

If anyone could tell me how to get hold of one tHat would be great. I would assume the colours mean different topics Ie time trials, road racing etc. I also read somewhere it starts from November so dont have long to get ready.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Graham

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Try searching this part of the forum - was a thread not long ago telling you where you can get a copy
  • Myprotein referral code mp288135 (get money off)
  • i have heard about Pete's black book and red book...and is there another ??? whats the difference between the different colour books ?
  • Thanks guys for your help.

Not sure about any other books only heard of the black one being good .

Cheers again for the link :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    i have heard about Pete's black book and red book...and is there another ??? whats the difference between the different colour books ?

There's a blue book but I haven't heard of a red book before. Don't know the difference but others on here have used both.
  • so sorry, i meant the blue book, not the red book

have managed to get the black book and one of the things that he states is easy riding over the winter, no intensity at all

but many new theories will implement sweet spot, tempo and even threshold rides during winter training

what to do ???
  • have managed to get the black book and one of the things that he states is easy riding over the winter, no intensity at all

Dont be fooled into thinking this is an easy training manual, it is based around progression and each week from november through to march the intensity increase's, I followed it to the letter a few years back, lost 2 stone, really struggled to keep the weight on and found it detrimental due to lack of muscle mass, I did fly though so I am planning to follow it again this winter only not quite so intensly.

emjoy
  • found it detrimental due to lack of muscle mass, I did fly though so I am planning to follow it again this winter only not quite so intensly.

So why was it detrimental? sorry I'm puzzled, either it worked or it didn't?

I'm following it this winter (well building up to be able to), the only thing that I'm not clear about is the part about avoiding your HR going over a certain level destroying the aerobic work, why is that I wonder? I'd like to get out for club rides, but with the hills around us there is no way I'd keep my HR within the confines that he suggests for Nov/Dec.
  • I've had the same problem. I go out with my club's "fast lads" and we always seem to end up hammering it up the climbs even in October!!
    Bald is Beautiful
  • A friend of mine suggested that the hit to the CNS would severly disrupt the aerobic training benefits, hence the reason it should be avoided, sounds feasible in my limited understanding....
  • turboslave wrote:
    have managed to get the black book and one of the things that he states is easy riding over the winter, no intensity at all

/quote]

I've alway found riding at 75-85% MHR quite intense :cry:
  • I've alway found riding at 75-85% MHR quite intense

I'm ok for an hour or so, but much beyond that gets to be a struggle, it's not *that* easy IMHO.

I'm managing to do the 3 midweek 1 hour sessions and two weekend 1.5 hour sessions, don't know how much longer on the turbo I can cope with, so looking for a flat loop locally so that I can get out on the weekend for a longer stint....
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    stonehouse wrote:
    A friend of mine suggested that the hit to the CNS would severly disrupt the aerobic training benefits, hence the reason it should be avoided, sounds feasible in my limited understanding....
    Cell physiology adapts and produces more mitochondria during base miles. You also get cardiovascular benefits such as a stronger heart, and your working muscles produce more capillaries.

When you work around your threshold, lactate acid increases which in turn lowers the pH in the cells and in turn destroys aerobic enzymes and has a complete counter-effect on your base-building.
  • Cell physiology adapts and produces more mitochondria during base miles. You also get cardiovascular benefits such as a stronger heart, and your working muscles produce more capillaries.

When you work around your threshold, lactate acid increases which in turn lowers the pH in the cells and in turn destroys aerobic enzymes and has a complete counter-effect on your base-building.

Ah, far more technical than I thought. Glad that I resisted the temptation to throw in a hard session then!
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Furrag wrote:
    Cell physiology adapts and produces more mitochondria during base miles. You also get cardiovascular benefits such as a stronger heart, and your working muscles produce more capillaries.

There's a well known table showing physiological adaptations to different training intensities - see this doc: www.freewebs.com/velodynamics2/traininglevels.pdf on page 3. (also in the "training and racing with a power meter" book)

Also on Alex Simmon's blog: http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2008/01/ ... ining.html.

There's a lot of controversy about the value of doing mostly "base" work - at least for time-limited amateur athletes. One of many discussions here: http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... opic=49610 .
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."