How do I increase my power

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I have ridden about 14 events this year and most have been 100 mile plus. I can quite happily sit on the bike for long periods so I know my endurance is there, and starting to get descent times and increasing my average speed

I do about 3 spin classes every week but want to take my training to the next level in the off season.

I want to put some more explosive, sustainable power into my legs so I can sprint better and climb better and sustain the effort level thats needed.

I tend to have a cadence of about 70ish and push larger gears than my mates.

What do you suggest to increase my power even further and also put some size into my thighs as my calfs are starting to look out of proportion?
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    You need to train around your FTP (power you can hold for 1 hour) ideally for an increase in power that is usable for the majority of your riding.

If you are doing 100m + events, why do you need sprint better, or are these event road races that end in bunch sprints?

Very good sprinters don't tend to be the best climbers, so if you just want all round improvements then increase your FTP.

Measuring FTP will be very difficult without a power meter however, unless you have a turbo with power, and your can replicate your session reliably.

Spin classes are good for fitness, but I don't think they help massively with cycling performance
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Don't worry about your cadence or the size of your thighs.

You can build your sustainable power with plenty of training at or just below time trial pace - 2x20's and tempo work are good "value" for time spent.

Have a look here:
    http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2007/01/ ... wenty.html