Carrera Vengeance Ultimate - good buy or donkey?

Comments

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I mentioned the Alivio chainset because it is close to the one on this bike and the performance was good. That's all.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Things is I can't really see any weaknesses for 400 [or less with discounts] quid though lol. Especiallly when you compare it to something like this:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Har ... _38373.htm

If anything the wheels are heavy as we have seen this set before on Krakens, and is probably an area to upgrade in the future. But that is nitpicking really.
  • Slamdunkin
    Slamdunkin Posts: 355
    edited October 2010
    So is this bike a better buy than the Fury which only has X5's and the inferior Truvativ Isoflow with Power Spline BB Chainset ("shimano simply make the best chainsets out there")...The fury forks are only an extra £30-50 more than the TK's...so is it worth paying out an extra £200 for the fury rims and the juicy 3 brakes?

:P :)
  • ok , i think it is god for the money any way , im wanting to get into mountain biking is this an ok starter?

:D cheers .
  • Before I bought mine, I looked in most of the bikes shops in Bristol, Bridgwater and Minehead (+ a bit of on-line reserch) before parting with my hard earned and there was nothing else that came close really (including all the bikes instore in the Evans sale). I had a budget of £500 and couldnt even find anything much better for an extra £100
  • supersonic
    Slamdunkin wrote:
    So is this bike a better buy than the Fury which only has X5's and the inferior Truvativ Isoflow with Power Spline BB Chainset ("shimano simply make the best chainsets out there")...The fury forks are only an extra £30-50 more than the TK's...so is it worth paying out an extra £200 for the fury rims and the juicy 3 brakes?

:P :)

The Fury has a butted frame, much lighter bolt through air fork, better tyres, rims and hubs and some lighter finishing kit.

The Fury does have a crap chainset. But the rest is great for the money, and when at 600 quid, is still a bargain. At 530 is amazing.

Either is a good buy at the respective price.
  • ok wel thx lovepasty , think im gona defo go for the vengeance if its still on sale at xmas , fingers crossed 8)
  • ok wel thx lovepasty , think im gona defo go for the vengeance if its still on sale at xmas , fingers crossed 8)
  • i agree supersonic ive been looking around for a while and havent came across a deal like this , when u look at all the other 2011 bikes such as the kona fire specialized etc this bike defo has betr components for the money and at 400 quid defo go for it :D
  • supersonic wrote:
    I have been following budget bikes for many years, and write about them in WMB. This is one of the best deals I have ever seen, and I know the frame is good.

Enjoy!

i agree supersonic ive been looking around for a while and havent came across a deal like this , when u look at all the other 2011 bikes such as the kona fire, specialized, giant etc this bike defo has betr components for the money and at 400 quid u cant go wrong . :D
  • supersonic wrote:
    I have been following budget bikes for many years, and write about them in WMB. This is one of the best deals I have ever seen, and I know the frame is good.

Enjoy!

i agree supersonic ive been looking around for a while and havent came across a deal like this , when u look at all the other 2011 bikes such as the kona fire, specialized, giant etc this bike defo has betr components for the money and at 400 quid u cant go wrong . :D
  • brought vengeance ultimate a few weeks ago and love it
    yes there are alot better bikes out there but not at 400 pound
    my full sus ows me nearly 2500 i bought hardtail for practicing technique
    and family days out it suprised me how solid this bike feels i use it on trails regular now
    evan though i didnt buy it for this downsides are wheels are abit heavy (but strong) and the tyres are crap put some nevegal on them and its a great bike
  • There is an extra 10% off at the moment bringing it down to £359 and they are giving away £20 worth of free accessories when buying this bike

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... f38975f3bb
  • I bought one too last week (before they knocked another 10% off, arrggh!). Great bike, swap the wheels out if you want but there's not much else you really need to do. Look at how much you'd pay for a similar spec on one of the bigger brands (build & service were excellent btw).

There's a lot to be said for these "lesser" brands; I've a Jamis road bike (big in the states) relatively unheard of over here; it's about the best carbon frame I've ridden and the spec (dura ace, ultegra, FSA, Easton) would have cost at least another £1,000 on a big brand.
  • Hi everyone, Ive been reading through reviews for weeks now people keep comparing the two bikes I am trying to decide between, but never against each other.

Can someone with good knowledge please advise me between either the

GT Aggressor XC 3 Mountain Bike 09

or the

Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Mountain Bike

both retailing at Halfords for the same price, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • supersonic
    The Carrera is the better value, with superior parts.
  • supersonic wrote:
    The Carrera is the better value, with superior parts.

Thank you very much for such a quick repsonse, muchly appreciated
  • Guys,

I've been looking at the a budget hardtail for a few weeks now, and the bikeradar forums have been great - thanks very much to all of you!

I had narroved it down to the fury or the rockrider, which seem to be streets ahead for value for money. I was going to plump for the Fury until the price went up to 600 quid and pushed me toward the Rockrider at 500 quid . I was just on my way out to get the Rockrider (literally a few minutes ago!) when on a final sweep I saw the ultimate on at 400 quid.

So just before I head off, I thought I'd ask the question directly and see what you guys thought. I'm looking for an all-rounder that I will commute on and also take on the trails at the weekend - typically nothing amazingly challenging though TBH, its as much for the exercise as anything else and I live in London. I'm also reasonably heavy at 100KG (6'3") Here are the choices:

400 quid, Ultimate Vengeance (great value, great fork (though this may be wasted on me))
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

600 quid, Fury (better wheels, good fork, all-round ability, possibly a slightly better riding position for commuting but 100 quid more expensive than the r-rider)
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... l&istBid=t

500 quid, Rockrider 8.1 (light, fast, good all round spec, good warranty, leans quite far forward but a 100 quid cheaper than the fury)
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/8-1-2010- ... NFO-DETAIL

Any comments you have that might break the deadlock, particularly given what I will use it for? Cheers guys, much appreciated.
  • Hi all... my first post here and I am resurrecting this old thread.

I am very tempted by the Carrera Vengeance Ultimate having seen it on sale for £319 now (and for some lucky people ordering on Xmas day they got an extra 10% off too).

I currently have a 16 year old Carrera Impetus that has seen much abuse over the years.... for a good many years I have looked at getting a new bike but just never saw anything that took my fancy and fitted my budget. The VU looks the dogs!! and although I am nothing more than a casual biker I can even tell that the components seem good and value for money is excellent.

I'll make a final decision later tonight and then reserve one if I decide to go for it, but I'd certainly welcome any other feedback especially from current owners.

Thanks all.
  • Hi Dan,I was one of the lucky one`s who got this for £288 on christmas day.When I was looking for reviews this was the best site I found,as far as Halfords build quality I can only comment on the Wrexham branch I bought mine from and all seems well,I picked it up yesterday and rode it 5 miles home took it out again this morning for 8 miles along the canal and nothing`s fell of yet.I think if your budget is under £400 this is a good buy the only thing I would check is the size,I`m 6`with a 32" inside leg and bought the 20" frame but after riding it I think I should of gone for the 18" anyway good luck with your decision I`m more than happy with mine.

Mike
  • Hi Mike.... thanks for the reply... £288 seems like a blinding deal... especially based on the comments that some said here when it was still priced at £400. I am just a touch over 6' tall and about a 33" inside leg, I also ride with the saddle quite high (caught me out a few times when I have had SPD's on).

Still not 100% decided... will think about it tomorrow.... undeniably a good bike but I also have other things to spend £300 on at the moment. :roll:
  • Good lord £288?!?

The forks and drivetrain are worth more than that without the wheels, tyres, bars, seat, stem, etc..

Its frame is a tad over-engineered (so solid it looks like it could be jumped) and thus no super featherweight, but your looking at £7-800 for this level of bike from Marin, Specialized, Trek, Scott, etc...
    I have been riding this bike for over a month now in very muddy conditions and snow on proper mountain bike trails, including the 'hard/expert' trail and its been 100% reliable - all I have done is clean and lube the chain so far...
    Its survived 50 plus hours riding through filth and over rocks and its no worse for wear - £288 will get you a bike that breaks after 2 or 3 rides of that kind normally...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Slamdunkin wrote:
    So is this bike a better buy than the Fury which only has X5's and the inferior Truvativ Isoflow with Power Spline BB Chainset ("shimano simply make the best chainsets out there")...

The Fury cranks are horrible but that's quite smart speccing, they've made the cheapest part a disposable, consumable one. It'd cost a lot more to get a Vengeance up to the same overall level as a Fury. Both good buys though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • just pick one up today not been out on it yet! any advise from you guys that have got one things to do on first ride and are you happy with the bike, also can anyone tell how to set up the folks im a heavy guy i dont have a clue what im going thx Andy.
  • Don't make the same mistake a lot of noobies make and use all the gears....have a read of this

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12647117
  • just got back from a 15 mile ride along the river with my son, the bike is awsome for the money very happy with it. smooth gear change, brakes are good, and the folks feel ok to so im very happpy parting with my £319
  • Went in to buy one today.... wanted it boxed but the only two they had were already setup... the first had been on the shop floor as a display model (so didn't want that)... the other was built out back ready for sale (apparently).... I noticed a small weld/paint flaw (nothing to cause any weakness)... but having seen that it would bother me...

I'm going to see if anywhere else has a boxed bike near me tomorrow, I want one that's not been touched since it left the factory
  • Managed to get a boxed one yesterday but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.....

Really liked the look of the Fury... but other than some smoother welds, and a few nicer components I couldn't see how it was worth a further £300.
  • Looks like an amazing deal for the Vengeance Ultimate at £288. Before Christmas I was looking at the ultimate, but didn't have £399. Instead i bought the Carrera Vengeance on a deal for £214. After comparing both bikes, the main differences are the Shocks (Dart 1 on mine) and the Gears (24spd on mine but same make).

Had I waited until Christmas Day I would have the Ultimate now..doh :x

However, at the time it wasn't worth paying the extra for the ultimate. That said, so far i am really happy with the Vengeance. At some point I may upgrade the Forks (around £140 for the Tora TK).

As others have said, for this sort of budget these bikes are excellent value. It is really difficult to justify paying over £200 extra for other bikes with less spec. Unless you are going really serious off road!!

Funkster :D
  • sdas777
    sdas777 Posts: 29
    does it really weigh 14.75kg like it says on the website?
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT
    Giant Defy