King of the Race Face

Comments

• :lol:

Getty
    610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    The face of so many treks up long mountain passes. Chris Anker Sorensen :P <- a face just like that

4042064435_5528346e6a_z.jpg
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    dave milne wrote:
    me at the catford hill climb this year. beat that pros :)
    5071855036_2d3a4e5204_z.jpg
    A pro on the same hill ;-)
    ohi9vo.jpg
    [Photo credit: sylv - ACC]
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    David Clinger

2394726454_3585c85f3a.jpg

;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    vinokourAFP1207_468x483.jpg

bs12.jpg

Spyns+2010+Tour+de+France+Vinokourov.jpg

alexandre+vinokourov2.JPG
    cartoon.jpg
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    No doubt about sylvain chavanel

preview-chavanel.jpg

Frances-Sylvain-Chavanel--006.jpg

610x.jpg

chavanel_roy.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I love this one, 'The Millar' with obligatory ponytail -

scan510.jpg

and because his 'bins' always made his face different 'Le Fignon' also avec ponytail -

Fignon.jpg

Those were the days!! (sighs)
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    suisse12st08-hinault.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    The king is the King himself, Kelly!Sean%20Kelly.jpg

kellyeze.jpg

20110819_KAS_KellyRoubaix86.jpg

kelly-parisnice.jpg

kelly_pdm.jpg

skelly1986msr.jpg

milan_9-304x421.jpg

kelly-ouch.jpg
    www.dotcycling.com
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Monsieur Chrono

anquetil-big.jpg
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    boonen in full cry
    3472153609_380f10b37a.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He was stronger in Roubaix in 09 than he was in 2012.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

I can't remember his 09 performance but this year's was pretty special. The pave really does create a big divide between great riders and the rest. I thought he dominated the race this year much more than Cancellara did when he won on his "motorbike" in 10.

It just reminds me that a great showdown didn't occur this year because of Fab's injury
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    preview-giro.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey

I can't remember his 09 performance but this year's was pretty special. The pave really does create a big divide between great riders and the rest. I thought he dominated the race this year much more than Cancellara did when he won on his "motorbike" in 10.

It just reminds me that a great showdown didn't occur this year because of Fab's injury

He had tougher competition in 09 and did it pretty much all on his own.

I think sporza counted six proper attacks - each one did a lot of damage and shaped the race.

This year QS strung it out in a cross wind, and then Boonen kept going, and going, and going.
  • timoid.
    preview-giro.jpg

Great pic. And think of the disadvantage he was at compared to his peers during the height of the doping arms race.

I wish Mapei would return to the sport.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Can spot him a mile away.

6a0134832d53e5970c0133f0043d48970b-800wi.jpg

gekkeboog.jpg
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    A nice selection here:

http://www.bigringriding.com/

eg. evans:

tumblr_m3uma7jcD01qbxnpgo1_500.jpg
  • esafosfina
    esafosfina Posts: 131
    1989 Paris-Nice...
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Timoid. wrote:
    preview-giro.jpg

Great pic. And think of the disadvantage he was at compared to his peers during the height of the doping arms race.

I wish Mapei would return to the sport.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/proof-o ... g-at-mapei
  • timoid.
    Rundfahrt wrote:

That article is FIVE years old. Did anything come from it?

Mapei left the sport because of the culture of doping (following Garzelli's positive in the Giro IIRC). Giorgio Squinzi hired Sassi to try and run a clean ship. It worked with some (Evans) but not others (Pozatto). Recently he was quoted as being interested in a return to cycling now that it appears cleaner.
  • Rundfahrt
    Timoid. wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

That article is FIVE years old. Did anything come from it?

Mapei left the sport because of the culture of doping (following Garzelli's positive in the Giro IIRC). Giorgio Squinzi hired Sassi to try and run a clean ship. It worked with some (Evans) but not others (Pozatto). Recently he was quoted as being interested in a return to cycling now that it appears cleaner.

1) Considering they dropped out in 2003 it would be pretty tough for the article to be much newer.

2) In the middle of the doping era Mapei put four riders off the front at Paris-Roubaix, swept the podium and only a flat prevented all four together at the finish.

3) Garzelli, busted at the Giro riding for Mapei. VDB busted for doping while with Mapei. Rominger, Olano, Tonkov, Evans all worked with Ferrari. Bettini, Bartoli, Tafi worked with Cecchini. VDB worket with Sainz. Bartoli was also named in Puerto.

In the face of all that can you honestly say you think they were clean?

The irony of this is that YOU were the one who started a thread about that article here back in 2007!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    1) Considering they dropped out in 2003 it would be pretty tough for the article to be much newer.

2) In the middle of the doping era Mapei put four riders off the front at Paris-Roubaix, swept the podium and only a flat prevented all four together at the finish.

3) Garzelli, busted at the Giro riding for Mapei. VDB busted for doping while with Mapei. Rominger, Olano, Tonkov, Evans all worked with Ferrari. Bettini, Bartoli, Tafi worked with Cecchini. VDB worket with Sainz. Bartoli was also named in Puerto.

In the face of all that can you honestly say you think they were clean?

The irony of this is that YOU were the one who started a thread about that article here back in 2007!

You need to make a distinction between the Mapei run by Patrick Lefevre and the one run by Sassi after Lefevre left to set up Domo. Sinkewitz was on the latter team and said it was the only team he didn't dope at. It wasn't spotless, but it was a different animal to the one that cleaned up at P-R.

Also, Evans has never worked with Ferrari - he was tested by him once, but that was it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    Rundfahrt wrote:

And the Bikeradar's inaugural scary ass interweb stalker award goes to...
  • Rundfahrt
    Timoid. wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

I love when people something factual thrown in their face and respond with irrational anger

When I was researching doping and Mapei, one of the google results was that thread. It's the 8th result on the first page.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=mapei+do ... =firefox-a

Do you have any other angry, defensive and utterly moronic things to say?
  • timoid.
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

I love when people something factual thrown in their face and respond with irrational anger

When I was researching doping and Mapei, one of the google results was that thread. It's the 8th result on the first page.

I got lots. Where do you want me to start? Responding within minutest to my jibe isn't exactly disproving it.

Anyhoo, Rich answered far more eloquently than I could, so read his response.

And if you get a chance, please send a substantive linke between Evans and Ferrari. Wikipedia doesn't count.
  • Rundfahrt
    Timoid. wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

I got lots. Where do you want me to start? Responding within minutest to my jibe isn't exactly disproving it.

Seriously? I post the link proving as to how I knew that and, instead of apologizing for your comment, you respond with this load of excrement?!?!?! Wow.

Anyhoo, Rich answered far more eloquently than I could, so read his response.

Now for the misdirection using someone else's post. It's interesting that you choose to do this when the only thing I mentioned the post you are responding to was your angry, little man, comment.

And if you get a chance, please send a substantive linke between Evans and Ferrari. Wikipedia doesn't count.

Do you mean something like the front page of Cadel Evans own website saying he "consulted" with Ferrari? It's funny how often Bikeradar forums come up in google searches for info you are demanding (and then getting mad about when they are mentioned:
    2. Cadel Evans
    Gegen den Australier liegen keine Verdachtsmomente vor. Was dem Lotto-Fahrer angelastet werden muss, ist die Zusammenarbeit mit dem ehemaligen Armstrong-Coach Dr. Michele Ferrari. Wie alle Fahrer beteuern, beschränkt sich die Tätigkeit von "Dottore Epo" rein auf das Erstellen von Trainingsplänen

I think the gist of it is (very roughly) - "There are no suspicions against the Australian. What the Lotto rider must answer is why he is co-operating with Armstrongs coach, Dr. Michele Ferrari. Like all riders who are under the care of "Doctor Epo", he says is only getting training plans /advice."

Care to keep going?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Do you mean something like the front page of Cadel Evans own website saying he "consulted" with Ferrari? It's funny how often Bikeradar forums come up in google searches for info you are demanding (and then getting mad about when they are mentioned:
    2. Cadel Evans
    Gegen den Australier liegen keine Verdachtsmomente vor. Was dem Lotto-Fahrer angelastet werden muss, ist die Zusammenarbeit mit dem ehemaligen Armstrong-Coach Dr. Michele Ferrari. Wie alle Fahrer beteuern, beschränkt sich die Tätigkeit von "Dottore Epo" rein auf das Erstellen von Trainingsplänen

I think the gist of it is (very roughly) - "There are no suspicions against the Australian. What the Lotto rider must answer is why he is co-operating with Armstrongs coach, Dr. Michele Ferrari. Like all riders who are under the care of "Doctor Epo", he says is only getting training plans /advice."
    Did you not wonder why that connection has never been repeated by any other cycling journalist?
    Did Google find the bit were that German newspaper said they'd got him confused with Mick Rogers?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    Care to keep going?[/b]

Not really, but as my final word on this.

There are very few people I would believe in cycling and two of them were associated with Mapei: Evans and Sassi. I also approve of Georgio Squinzi who is a a genuine cycling philanthropist. He pulled his sponsorship when it was clear team members were using dope, yet continues to love the sport and would (in his own words) like to return one day now that he feels it's a cleaner sport.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -giro.html

I think if Mapei did return, it would go for Garmin type set up. It would be great to see.

I pointed you at Rich's comment as the main point of my response to FF's picture is that Evans was and is clean IMHO. That is not misdirection, that is me pointing you at an articulate answer to your query. And at the risk of misdirecting you again, the intended target of that article was Mick Rogers as per Rich's post. It was shoddy journalism and should be discounted.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Rick, was it 2008 when he shat himself? I recall a few race faces that day :wink: