Ribble bike buying guide - Sportive, Stealth, Gran Fondo etc

124»

Comments

• Poulsy wrote:
    Stealth review in latest Cycling Plus in the bike of thje year supplement

Thanks - got the magazine today and read the review. I was hoping to buy the bike anyway, but I always like to see what a group test reveals!!

Thanks again Poulsy
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    No probs :D

I just bought one of the new model Sportives and very happy with the decision
  • kylemalco
    kylemalco Posts: 24
    Whats the difference between the 2010 and 2011 centaur and is the athena just an extra gear
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    which frame on carbonzone is the stealth?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    kylemalco wrote:
    Whats the difference between the 2010 and 2011 centaur and is the athena just an extra gear

2010 Centaur is pretty much the same as Athena but with one less gear. 2011 Centaur has a different bottom bracket axle and loses the ability to do multiple shifts (at least from large to small - not sure if it can still do multi-shifts from small to large).

It's pretty irritating really. 11 speeds adds a fair bit of expense if you do a lot of miles so I'm happy to stick with 10. However, the dumbed down nature of Centaur and below puts me off the entire current Campag 10 speed range! Luckily, I've already got my bikes with 2010 but, if I was buying now, it might make me wonder if I should go with SRAM.

That said, I'm sure it is still really nice. Just not as nice :lol:

PS - and 2011 Centaur is much, much less attractive to look at! What were they thinking!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I just wish the "Stealth" was available in White!!!

I already own a Black PX and wanted to go White for my next summer only bike.

The PX Nano or Canyon AF or Aero are winning because of this.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Surely you can just order the stealth frame from one of these direct sellers and get them to paint it White.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    weenyd wrote:
    I bought the comic this week and they've got a review of 5 £2500 bikes, and the best one was the De Rosa R838 which looked very nice, and also a bit similar to the Ribble Stealth.

I headed over to http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57662 to have a closer look, and it is identical! Just use the zoom function and compare the front forks and that swooping line that starts at the head tube. Get the Ribble up to the roughly the same spec, and it comes to about £1500.

Which one would you buy?
    Yeah I realize, but the DeRosa just looks hot. The ribble is, well, just a ribble.

That said I just took delivery of a 44cm Sportive Bianco. Really impressed with the finish of it, even though:

- there's an obvious ridge between the white and silver paints, not smooth at all signifying no clear coat.
    - the paint on the fork and rear dropouts wasn't fully sanded off/was poorly masked before painting
    - there was no headset delivered with it like 99% of other frame makers (Giant, Cervelo etc.)
    - ST bottle cages are almost at the top of the tube which is a joke (hence thread for special cages)
    - forks look over-built, very large diameter legs, i hope they provide some give for my easily-bruised 48 kg g-friend.
    - the seatpost binder bolt was waaay oversized - 40grams

I wanted to get her the Stealth but their smallest size wasn't that small and I didn't want it to ride too harshly.

Weight for the frame without seatpost binder was 1048 grams, uncut forks were 380 grams. Both quite impressive for a £400 F&F combo.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    My Chinarello has been in customs since 3rd June and i,m still waiting. Once it,s arrived i will post pics of the build, hopefully this year :wink:
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    janwal wrote:
    Don't think they will put it on your credit card.Was in the shop last week when someone asked and they wanted to spend over 2 grand.They were told no as it could lead to C2W licence being withdrawn from them as they are clamping down on the practice.

AAAHHHH! Don't say that. I've spent ages deliberating over my first proper bike and i finally set my heart on the Sportive racing with SRAM rival and the ITM Aero wheels - but that comes in at £1080.95. Surely they would let me off with paying £81 cash?

Guess i'll have to pop up to the warehouse and find out for myself... i've been dreaming of that bike :(
  • They will let you go £81 over - give them a call, I always find them very helpful...when they answer the phone :lol:
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • Paul057
    Thanks, i'll give them a call. The dream lives on....
  • Paul057
    They are ok with me putting the extra to the price as cash - phew!

Now i know i've got a bit of space to manoeuvre, i'm torn between the two Sportive Racing models. I actually prefer the look of the old one, but having read this thread from start to finish, i'm thinking that the new model is actually the better buy? Is this right? Is it the frame that is better or do the ITM/Deda differences make muck difference?