Slow Starter

smithy21
smithy21 Posts: 2,204
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I did the Surrey Legs of Steel at the weekend and as with all events I started pretty slowly. I seem to have a real problem getting going but once I do I get going very strongly.

Anyway, at the Legs of Steel the start was a bit of a shambles and we had to queue for about 40 mins to start. The start was then down Box Hill so I was freezing by the time I had to actually do some work much as I tried to spin the legs down the hill. Now I knew I was going to be slow but this was unbelievable. Up Ranmore and Leith (for those who know the area) I was actually impressed by my ability to keep the bike upright while going so slowly.

I dont usually suffer quite this badly and on longer rides (this was 50 miles) it doesnt matter too much in the scheme of things. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Sounds like a classic case of not being able to warm up beforehand. I don't think many people would put in a good performance if they had to stand around in the cold for 40 mins before setting off.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Yes thats what I would have thought but I just got left for dead early on and everyone else had the same situation. I just had nothing in the legs at all for about 45 mins.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,699
    I need a good, 30 - 45 minutes before I feel I'm working on all cylinders.

Happens.