OT: Kimdle?

2»

Comments

• JonGinge wrote:
    Ah, dammit. I want one too. Now!

*ponders, searching for a reason to buy... lightbulb moment*
    Removing some of the books from my abode would free up some space for more bike stuff.

BZZZZZZZZZT!

If you're anything like me you won't remove the books, you'll just also buy a kindle. I don't think I've ever thrown a book away.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:

Removing some of the books from my abode would free up some space for more bike stuff.

BZZZZZZZZZT!

If you're anything like me you won't remove the books, you'll just also buy a kindle. I don't think I've ever thrown a book away.
    Yeah, you're correct. The old books will stay. I'm even loathe to get rid of some ridiculously out-dated techie books. Oh well...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:

BZZZZZZZZZT!

"thrown a book away"

Errr....

No. I don't understand what you're saying there.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I bought a Sony Pocket e-book reader 3-4 months ago and have to say that I use it a lot and - on the whole - I've been very impressed by it. Which brings me to the problem with the Kindle: It certainly looks attractive, both physically and fiscally, but I haven't bought any books. All the books that I've read have either been freely available, out of copyright works or ones that I've borrowed from the Hertfordshire e-library.

Now I'm sure that - though ePub is the de-facto standard at the moment for e-books - the former are available in a format that the Kindle will support (they are freely available texts, after all). However, as far as I am aware, the country's e-libraries are all (as far as I know) built around ePub books with Adobe's Adept DRM - as supported by pretty much all readers except the Kindle... and possibly the iPad (for which I think Apple have put their own DRM on top of ePub).

If you aren't planning on using the e-library, the Kindle may well be fine but, if you are planning on making use of this excellent and free service, you may be better looking elsewhere - after all, the difference between borrowing books for free and buying them can soon outweigh a £50 or £100 difference in purchase price.

_
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Can you convert the e-library's books from epub to kindle or is there some encryption preventiung this? I understand that you can do this with Google's epub books

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/08 ... b-for.html
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rml380z wrote:
    Still waiting to be convinced that any of these eBooks are better than printed books.

I've heard a similar arguments before:

Still waiting to be convinced that CDs are better than vinyl.
    Still waiting to be convinced that MP3s are better than CDs.

I only really read comics...sorry graphic novels...which will only be any good in all their paper glory!

But graphic novels look fantastic on the iPad. I love ebooks. Love the fact that I can pre-order them and they download to my phone on the day of release. Also as LiT points out, taking 10 books on an e-reader is infinitely preferable to lugging 10 hardbacks (I tend to buy books as soon as they are out) on holiday. Especially if like me, you can get through a novel a day whilst lazing round the pool.

Want an iPad now!
  • alfablue wrote:
    Can you convert the e-library's books from epub to kindle or is there some encryption preventiung this? I understand that you can do this with Google's epub books

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/08 ... b-for.html

No, the e-library books are DRMed (so they automatically expire - and are "returned" - after the 1, 2 or 3 weeks for which you have borrowed it). Yes, the DRM has been cracked but, IM<HO, this is one use of DRM which seems sensible so cracking it to format shift and transfer to the Kindle would be irresponsible, I would suggest.

_
  • Let's talk Kindle web browsing...

Is it unlimited? Can I view any page? Can I use it on 3G?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *pulls up chair, listens attentively*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    As I understant it (and I stand to be corrected) web browsing is unlimited (obv) on WiFi, but I think there may be a cost implicatoin to 3G. I know that if you send docs to your Kindle, you can do so over wifi for free, but 3g costs (you get two email addresses for this purpose). The web browser is "ok", but tbh, if you want an all singing all dancing web browser then you are better off with a netbook/smartphone/ipad type device.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    JonGinge wrote:

BZZZZZZZZZT!

No! No! No! DON'T give me any book-related ideas :shock:

PS: Wonder if I could get the complete works of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct stories on Kindle?
  • mroli
    Cafewanda wrote:
    PS: Wonder if I could get the complete works of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct stories on Kindle?

As far as I can see - no official version, but there seems to be something here:

http://www.filestube.com/e/ed+mcbain+87th+precinct
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Let's talk Kindle web browsing...

It's unlimited. It works, for free, over 3G.

Browsing this forum, for example, works. It's not great, mainly because of the screen resolution rendering the non-zoomed text too small. The zoom is just about bearable, but you're still scrolling a zoomed window around a larger one, and that's a bit rubbish.

You can use it if you have to, you probably wouldn't choose it if there was another option (like the laptop I'm using now).

I'm deliberately underselling it, because I don't want to give the impression the web browser is fantastic. It's listed under "Experimental". I think it's more than good enough for e.g. "quick check of wikipedia".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:

Browsing this forum, for example, works. It's not great, mainly because of the screen resolution rendering the non-zoomed text too small. The zoom is just about bearable, but you're still scrolling a zoomed window around a larger one, and that's a bit rubbish.

You can use it if you have to, you probably wouldn't choose it if there was another option (like the laptop I'm using now).

I'm deliberately underselling it, because I don't want to give the impression the web browser is fantastic. It's listed under "Experimental". I think it's more than good enough for e.g. "quick check of wikipedia".

Seriously? Even abroad?

*Gasp
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:

Seriously? Even abroad?

*Gasp

I believe so, but I haven't tried the browser over 3G in Johnny Foreigner-land yet. Here's a map:

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=2&view=intl
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Seriously? Even abroad?

*Gasp

kindle.png

(alas, I think it's only in Europe for UK kindles)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    mroli wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

As far as I can see - no official version, but there seems to be something here:

http://www.filestube.com/e/ed+mcbain+87th+precinct

Mroli, you are not helping, but thanks :lol:So much for me trying to save money
  • mroli
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Mroli, you are not helping, but thanks :lol:So much for me trying to save money

It'll save you money in the long run. Probably. Maybe. Er....
  • UpTheWall
    UpTheWall Posts: 207

Just had a look. Seriously? Are all those books really out of copyright?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    UpTheWall wrote:

Just had a look. Seriously? Are all those books really out of copyright?
    Hmmm, rather than being out of copyright, I think they have a different ploy - you have to agree to this:
    In my capacity of reviewer, I hereby request a digital copy of "Beevor, Antony - Berlin, The Downfall 1945". I have a good faith belief that the sender of the attachment has full rights & permissions in this work as authorized by the copyright holder, its agent, or the law. I acknowledge that the file-transfer between our respective mail accounts constitutes a private loan between myself and the volunteer recipient of my request. I further certify under penalty of perjury that I have received from truly-free.org no textual material protected by international copyright, that truly-free.org neither hosts nor furnishes such material, and that truly-free.org is not a party to our exchange.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Kindle ordered - I hate you lot sometimes.... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Let's talk Kindle web browsing...

You remember how mobile phone browsers were before the iPhone came along?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

You remember how mobile phone browsers were before the iPhone came along?

<shudder> Nokia N95, worst phone I've ever owned.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo