OT: Kimdle?

timestar
timestar Posts: 226
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone bought a Kindle, especially new version 3? Good, bad etc? Cheers.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    On order for my son - won't be able to play with it until his birthday in November though
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've got a Kindle 3. Dunno why I bought it, 'cause I hardly read any books. It's OK to read from, but the page turns are still pretty slow.

The biggest annoyance I have is that the screen doesn't respond to me touching it. =(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I use an eBook app on my phone, but I would'nt bother getting a Kindle, the page turn is too slow, and it isn't very nice to hold. I do like getting all the old H.G Wells stuff for free though.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've got a Kindle 3 and love it - got the wi=fi 3g one and really enjoy reading on it, have been doing the "free" trials on the paper and that has worked really well and also transfer work docs to it = which are often 300 pages+ and therefore don't have to lug massive files around.

I really like it. Also got the stupid £50 holder which is massively overpriced, but a good bit of kit with the inbuilt light.

Battery life is good - esp if you turn off the wifi.

Page refresh isn't as slow as people above have said.

Amazon shop works well (shock horror!) and prices are reasonable. My fav bit is downloading all the free out of copyright classics though - which mean you never need buy another book again if you don't want. First thing I bought was Fignon's autobiog and loved it and the Kindle...

I lke the eink as well.
  • I'm waiting excitedly for the Samsung Galaxy Tab...
  • I've ordered one.... should be with me on 2nd October apparently.
    I used the Kindle app on my Android so i already have some books in my library.
    Car? Scooby....
    Motorbike? Ninja....
    Bike? Sirrus or the XTC
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm waiting excitedly for the Samsung Galaxy Tab...
    OLED iPad. Sorry, trolling.

I've heard only good things about the latest iteration of the Kindle. Best eBook reader about, assuming you're happy with it being 'only' an eBook reader. I think I'd get one if I were to go back to PT.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Girl sitting next to me at work has one. This morning I have read the first chapter of Heart of Darkness. All for research purposes, of course. Quite like the Kindle, but not as much as I like a good old-fashioned paper book.
  • dhope wrote:
    OLED iPad. Sorry, trolling.

:lol:

In my e-book, android>iphone therefore android tablet>ipad.

Early november will also see the launch of a google tablet of some nature...

I have to say, I would probably no longer settle for 'just' an ebook reader, although if I did I'd still be waiting for a touchscreen kindle that didn't have that ugly keyboard.
  • mroli
    Its not just an ebook reader though - it has wireless and 3G connectivity, a v clunky web browser (but better than a mobile phone one) and has a much longer battery life and the more friendly e-ink screen.

I had an option - kindle or ipad and at 1/4 of the price, a much more friendly size and no ongoing costs, the kindle was a no-brainer for me, especially as I have a net-book.
  • mroli wrote:
    I've got a Kindle 3 and love it - got the wi=fi 3g one and really enjoy reading on it, have been doing the "free" trials on the paper and that has worked really well and also transfer work docs to it = which are often 300 pages+ and therefore don't have to lug massive files around.

I really like it. Also got the stupid £50 holder which is massively overpriced, but a good bit of kit with the inbuilt light.

Battery life is good - esp if you turn off the wifi.

Page refresh isn't as slow as people above have said.

Amazon shop works well (shock horror!) and prices are reasonable. My fav bit is downloading all the free out of copyright classics though - which mean you never need buy another book again if you don't want. First thing I bought was Fignon's autobiog and loved it and the Kindle...

I lke the eink as well.

+1 except I am only on the Kindle 2. :(
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Are there any limits on the 3g web browsing on the Kindle....? TBH it will mainly be used in the house !
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    fossyant wrote:
    Are there any limits on the 3g web browsing on the Kindle....? TBH it will mainly be used in the house !
    There are terms and conditions. I had a quick scan and thought it was a bit vague.

You could just connect it to your house wifi, if you've got it.
    My android phone can act as a wifi server so I could connect it to that :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    at the price points its a bloody rip off. have a look at the archos 7o. £299 rrp with a 250gb hard drive. thats direct from archos. im sure it'll be cheaper from other places.
  • Meh, I'm gonna wait for an iPad 2. Happily read books on my iPhone, but having played with an iPad I can see the attraction.
  • Most negatives on the Kindle seem to relate to the black on grey display, being tied to Amazon for your book purchases, and page turning. I know that on my laptop, reading anything longer than an inp depth article I find difficult and prefer a hard copy. Thanks for all the comments.
  • timestar wrote:
    Most negatives on the Kindle seem to relate to the black on grey display, being tied to Amazon for your book purchases, and page turning. I know that on my laptop, reading anything longer than an inp depth article I find difficult and prefer a hard copy. Thanks for all the comments.

The black on grey is a selling point not a negative....its the whole e-ink thing innit.

Page turning is slower than a book, but once you are in the rhythm of the ebook it is not an issue.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Got one, love it.

After a minute or two you simply forget that it's a "device"... it's just reading That single fact is absent in everything else that I've seen.

I bought it at least partially for reading technical docs (some PDFs), and it's pretty good at that. The PDF support is reasonable, although I suppose I'd prefer a larger screen for the A4 pages.

I'm going travelling soon, and I've got a couple of Lonely Planet guides on there -- it's a lot lighter and thinner.

The page turn could be a little faster, but it's fine. E-ink really does read better than lots of other screens, especially after 8 hours, or in sunlight.

The web browser is acceptable, but not great for "idle" browsing.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    blackberry playbook was announced yesterday. it looks unbelievably good.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Still waiting to be convinced that any of these eBooks are better than printed books.
  • rml380z wrote:
    Still waiting to be convinced that any of these eBooks are better than printed books.

They're not, they're just easier to carry. If I go for a 7-day holiday in the sun, I'll need about 6 books, or 1 ereader thingy that can carry hundreds.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rml380z wrote:

They have much better endings.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    rml380z wrote:

They're not, they're just easier to carry. If I go for a 7-day holiday in the sun, I'll need about 6 books, or 1 ereader thingy that can carry hundreds.

I've heard this argument before, but I don't buy it.
    I'd happily take a book to the beach, get sand all over it, leave it lying around when I go swimming, but I wouldn't do that with a Kindle.
  • rml380z wrote:
    rml380z wrote:

I'd happily take a book to the beach, get sand all over it, leave it lying around when I go swimming, but I wouldn't do that with a Kindle.

Fair point! I am not a fan of sand so tend to sit by a pool.

I took the tube in this morning, and saw a guy reading what was clearly a new-gen kindle, and was sat next to a lady reading an old one.

I have to say, the new one looks very impressive indeed. For starters, it's tiny!

The page turns are also much faster, and it looks really light. Also, the keyboard is really small.

I want one now...
  • rml380z wrote:

I've heard a similar arguments before:

Still waiting to be convinced that CDs are better than vinyl.
    Still waiting to be convinced that MP3s are better than CDs.

I only really read comics...sorry graphic novels...which will only be any good in all their paper glory!
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    I've had a couple of weeks now and it's fantastic. Page turning isn't slow, maybe that was a problem with the old model. 3G works well, great on the train yesterday when I could order a new book and be reading it in a couple of minutes.
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • mroli
    I think its horses for courses isn't it. Unlike a particular adherent of any technology, I'm not fussed at trying to convert anyone and I was pretty sceptical of early ereaders and I love books.

However, I read a lot, we don't have space in our house, with 3g and wireless, the Kindle does what I want it to do and I am well happy with it. In an ideal world, if paperbacks and the daily paper miraculously appeared when i wanted them and then filed themselves away into very little space, then I'd read physical books. But in the same way I move from vinyl to tapes to CDs to MiniDiscs (oops) and now slowly to digital, moving to electronic books is a next step. For me.
  • rml380z wrote:
    rml380z wrote:

Fair point! I am not a fan of sand so tend to sit by a pool.

I took the tube in this morning, and saw a guy reading what was clearly a new-gen kindle, and was sat next to a lady reading an old one.

I have to say, the new one looks very impressive indeed. For starters, it's tiny!

The page turns are also much faster, and it looks really light. Also, the keyboard is really small.

I want one now...

A guy in the office brought his new kindle in - I want one as well now.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    I’ve had mine for a few weeks now and I’m impressed. The cases on Amazon are overpriced but I do think you need some sort of one, It feels a bit delicate because it is so thin.

The prices for the books are reasonable and they are quick to buy and download, even using 3G.

Quite a lot of people have told me they would not have one because they like a “real” book, smell of paper and all that, which while I understand I think it misses the point. For me it supplements paper books rather than replaces and solves the storage problem.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ah, dammit. I want one too. Now!

*ponders, searching for a reason to buy... lightbulb moment*
    Removing some of the books from my abode would free up some space for more bike stuff.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides