Specific Training for Hills?

lucan
lucan Posts: 339
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I've been cycling for about 4-5 months with a local club. In three weeks the club are holding a Hill Climb competition on one of our local steep slopes and I've decided to give it a go. I could use some advice on the best way to prepare and how to ride it. Nothing hugely ambitious as it is divided into classes as per the Sunday rides, so I'll be in the slowest group. The competition is against the clock so I won't be able to pace off anyone else.

Firstly, the hill is a mile long, starting off gradually and then ramping up over the last third. I'm not sure of the gradient but I need my lowest gear to tackle almost the whole of the final third. Total climb is 100metres.

I rode it today (only the second time I've ever ridden it) and felt OK on the first ascent although I was obviously quite slow as I was grinding my lowest gear for a long time. I then rode it again three more times but didn't get to the top, turning round and cruising back to the bottom after half of the steepest part. Now, should I have really pushed to get two full ascents or would one complete and three almosts have been better training?

Second question - on the day, do I go off slowly and hope I've got something left to sprint the last short section when it stops being as steep, or will I be quicker overall to push on at the bottom where it's not so steep (for quite a distance). Somehow, I don't think I'll gain much time on the short top section compared to the time I could lose on the longer bottom section by taking it easy there.

I plan to ride it regularly over the next few weeks to help me get stronger and to learn the hill.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Summer: Kuota Kebel
Winter: GT Series3

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's all about the pacing. Go off too hard and you'll die at the end. Too slow - and you won't get a fast time.

But like you said - you'll be riding it regularly so you'll get a feel for how hard you can go and how long you can hold the pace.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    As Pokerface says pace it, and if you are going to be going up it a few times before the race, practise the pacing side of things.

Also see what gears are best for the hill, and what gears are needed for each section.

Also on race day take everything off the bike that is not needed, obviously lighter the bike and you, the better.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    As pokerface's advice.

Work on the climb taking in the details such as where it eases off for recovery periods and where to expend your efforts more wisely. If you go out too hard you will gas out but after a few attempts you should be able to judge it well minimising mistakes.
  • I had a hill I needed to be good for so I rode it a lot. Some days I rode it 4 or 5 times to improve strength stamina and confidence. Other times I rode it maybe once or twice and thought about different gears, different pace, out of the saddle on sections... I played around with it and studied heart rate and times.
    I think confidence is a factor. Also, I found it helpful to know my Heartrate red-zone and see how I felt or performed just over it or under it. You will, in a competition, probably go into your red-zone :D
    If you're training on it for strength maybe do it with two full bottles on so on the day you'll have 1.kg less weight.
    Play with cadence and see how you feel. It maybe you're in the lightest gear in which case there's not much room for change, but if you instinctively go for harder gears and power your way, you may like to try higher cadence.
  • lucan
    Thanks for the advice. It confirms much of what I thought, that practice and getting my head right is the key. I know I'm going to be in the lowest gear for the steepest section, so I'll have to consider how to get to that point in the best condition without having lost too much time. Then, if I can get close to the top with some strength left I can always move up a gear and get out of the saddle for the last bit.

I'll be riding it again tomorrow morning, so I'll see if it feels any different.
  • Oh a couple of other thoughts. I played around with where I sat on the saddle. Sometimes a slid back a bit, whist trying to get a very efficient peddle stroke and light hands on the not too steep bits. Sometimes I can sit and turn the pedals by pushing over the top and pulling on the bottom of the strokes as well as pushing down. I do this and try to relax my upper body as much as possible. Oh and I concentrate on breathing. Sometimes I find I try so hard I only take shallow breaths.
  • lucan
    I rode it again this morning as part of a club ride. I could still feel my legs from Friday's fun and games, but it felt OK. I noticed that I was very slow on the lower slopes, nearly everyone left me, but I got into a bottom-gear rythym for the steepest parts and began picking people off before the top.

Now I suppose need to keep riding it to try to get quicker on the lower section without overdoing it.

Thanks again for the tips.
  • So in order to go up the hill faster, you have practiced going up the hill faster...There's a zen koan in there somewhere!
  • lucan
    If it was that simple no-one would need advice.

Thanks for your much-valued input.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    As well as pacing make sure you are really well warmed up. If you have access to rollers take them with you and get a good sweat up before starting. With the steepest bit towards the end ride steady early on and leave enough to attack the steeper sections (which sounds like what you did on your training ride).