Friday conumdrum with DDD - The twin paradox, help!

123457»

Comments

• Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    i ride a hardtail
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Keep 'em coming.

And share any interesting cycling stories (like the time I advised someone to grease their rims" on my "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" thread.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Will, are you deliberately trying to open a can of worms. I get the feeling antontordy might be a creationist, or even worse, a believer in 'intelligent design'.

i would say it's impossible to read the comments of some of the posters on Bikeradar, and still believe in "intelligent design"..........."seriously flawed design", more like!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Will, are you deliberately trying to open a can of worms. I get the feeling antontordy might be a creationist, or even worse, a believer in 'intelligent design'.

i would say it's impossible to read the comments of some of the posters on Bikeradar, and still believe in "intelligent design"..........."seriously flawed design", more like!

BLASPHEMER!!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

BLASPHEMER!!!

Are there any women in here?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Or as Dara O Brien puts it -

Look in the mirror, does that look like it was made in the image of god.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Beeb2 @9pm:
    Horizon: What Happened Before the Big Bang?

Gonna have to cycle really, really, really fast to make it home ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Will Snow
    i have never trusted anything that has been on horizon. pseudo science at its best in my opinion
    i ride a hardtail
  • jonginge
    Agreed, I guess that's where the market is, though. Occasionally they do one on a subject that interests me
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Will Snow
    true, just needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt. Annoys me when people cite horizon as scientific evidence, when a cursory glance at a scientific journal would suggest otherwise.
    i ride a hardtail
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    antontordy wrote:
    Take the case of twins one of whom leaves Earth travelling at the near speed of light. As he would be returning to Earth, all that mattered would be the length of time he spent away from Earth which would be eqivalent to the length of time his brother spent awaiting his return. As the two periods would be the same, this would mean that their ages would be the same on return to Earth.

The issue is the return to earth, SR breaks down as outside forces are applied to deaccellerate, accellerate and deaccellerate the 'travelling' twin. My physics is several decades old and only from undergrad level but I believe that GR steps in when accelleration is applied.

According to SR as both twins in at rest in their framework both would see the 'other twin' as being younger. Thats the paradox, it breaks down once the twin in the rocket applies thrust and slows down his frame of reference.
  • Will Snow
    special relativity works in this case, but its just very difficult maths to factor in the acceleration and deceleration; when you do the paradox is solved. I dont believe that counts as general relativity. But the other points in your post are exactly right
    i ride a hardtail
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Will Snow wrote:
    sorry, i am terrible when it comes to trolls. I shall stop.

Back to the puns then?

duty_calls.png

http://xkcd.com/386/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    JonGinge wrote:
    Beeb2 @9pm:

You can't see the irony, no?

Answered you're own question maybe?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Beeb2 @9pm:

You can't see the irony, no?

Answered you're own question maybe?
    Put in a smiley maybe :lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Will Snow
    jimmypippa

you can never quote xkcd enough :D
    i ride a hardtail