Jeans

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
One problem with cycling is that I keep having to buy new clothes and now that I can remove my jeans without actually undoing them I think I need some new ones. Unfortunately, this is proving difficult.

My current Levis are 32/34 waist/leg. I'm not sure these are my actual measurements since these are levis and are probably sized to flatter Americans. However, I need some 30/34s and Levi don't appear to do them in normal jeans, only in skinny (ain't going over my thighs) or boot cut (flappy flares).

Any ideas or alternatives?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Asprilla wrote:
    One problem with cycling is that I keep having to buy new clothes and now that I can remove my jeans without actually undoing them I think I need some new ones. Unfortunately, this is proving difficult.

My current Levis are 32/34 waist/leg. I'm not sure these are my actual measurements since these are levis and are probably sized to flatter Americans. However, I need some 30/34s and Levi don't appear to do them in normal jeans, only in skinny (ain't going over my thighs) or boot cut (flappy flairs).

Any ideas or alternatives?

River Island...I know it sounds cheap! But their slouch fit jeans are perfect over a big cycling a$$ and big thighs!

Fit me like a glove...
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Edwin. Not cheap, but great and have loads of different sizes/cuts.

There's a shop just opposite American Apparel on Endell Street that stocks 'em (along with a vast array of other makes). Well worth a visit.
  • Look at some of the mtb companies they tend to make very hardwearing jeans for the cyclist shape.

Howies do some great waterproof jeans, as do sombrio
  • asprilla
    I don't need them for riding in, I'm exclusively lycra in that regards. I'm just after jeans for wearing, going to the pub, work, etc.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • they still fit pretty well though! Maybe avoid the waterproof ones as they're a bit pricey!
  • Nudie?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gap? They have god knows how many different styles of jeans to the point where I didn't have a blind clue where to start.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Gap? They have god knows how many different styles of jeans to the point where I didn't have a blind clue where to start.

I heard that, so I went to the one in the Westfield; everything appeard to be for Weebles. They had loads of 36/30 and upwards on the waist.

Am going to give them another shot at lunch time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • ketsbaia wrote:

There's a shop just opposite American Apparel on Endell Street that stocks 'em (along with a vast array of other makes). Well worth a visit.

I found a good selection of jeans at that shop on Endell st (guessing its the same place).

I have similar problem searching for 32/36 with enough clearance on the thighs. Levi's.com changed their search by size function, so leg length is no longer an option :evil:
  • Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I heard that, so I went to the one in the Westfield; everything appeard to be for Weebles. They had loads of 36/30 and upwards on the waist.

Don't take Jeans advice from a man who listens to Dire Straits. FACT.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    King Donut wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Don't take Jeans advice from a man who listens to Dire Straits. FACT.

<cough>boy-band vests<cough>
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • If you don't care about the brand then Primark.

the last thing you want is to buy a new pairs in a month time when it no longer fit.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • I'm in pretty much the same boat. I'm thinking of just braving the shorts till I get too cold to feel anything. Other than that, it's a really cheap option, but some of the best fitting jeans I've had were from the Asda George stuff.

I don't buy my own clothes anyway, the clothes fairy (wife) will magically produce some better fitting/less embarrassing clothes whens she's finally had enough.
  • I just remembered an interesting jeans story (when I say interesting, please remember this is Friday afternoon, I've been to the pub for lunch, and now I'm watching the snooker at work because I'm bored).

I once got caught in a really torrential rain storm whilst walking home through the woods. It was also really cold. When I got home I was in such a state I thought the best idea was to get a hot bath to try and recover. As I was lowering myself into the bath, feeling pretty miserable, and so cold that I couldn't feel my legs, I looked down to see my legs had turned blue. I actually believed that I had gotten so cold my legs were being sacrificed by my body and all circulation had been cut off. I began to rub them vigorously (calm down), only to find the blue dye from my jeans was quite easily washing off.

:oops:
  • asprilla
    Gap have solved the problem for the moment having tried Levi, FCUK, Ted Baker, Guess, Reiss and GStar. If I hadn't got something there, then M&S were the next shop on the route and I think that was a bridge too far.

Consistency is all I'm after. Forget the EU straightening out bananas I want consistent clothes sizing.

Also, not everyone is a skinny hipster, some of us have thighs so take note retailers. Gap have; I'm a slim fit according to them and yet Levi 501s (which are alledgedly unchanged since their inception) don't come over my thighs. Are you telling me Mr Strauss that all those miners in the gold rush had legs like twigs? They were doing heavy work that included lifting weight, sqatting for long periods and needed freedom of movement, none of which are possible in your flagship trousers. Stop telling lies.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I see a gap (no pun) in the market :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sounds like we're a similar shape - Lee nearly always have a style that fits me really quite well. Don't know why, they just do.
    And show the glutes off a treat.
    That's why we pedal right? Vain? Moi..?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the guerilla cut at river island is my current jean of choice. will be picking up another pair in a few weeks. they are brilliant
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've mentioned the One True Saxon jeans that I wear before and was informed that One True Saxon is the brand of choice of the BNP.
    Somehow, I don't think that I'm their target market if that info is correct.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    They've got open membership these days if I remember rightly (somebody correct me please), so you'll be fine. If challenged just tell them you're from Jamaica so quite confident you've got English ancestry somewhere along the line :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have been a GAP jeans wearer for a while because I could always get something that fitted.

Not any more...

I tried on every style of jeans they are currently doing...in 2 different wasit sizes....and walked out with no new jeans.

Might have to try River Island.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Espirit Groove (Straight leg) Jeans fit me fine :)
  • ketsbaia wrote:

+1 for Edwins.
    My mate told me about these a while ago, I own two pairs now. Buy the unwashed, raw denim version and wear them in.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,738
    Had a very silly experience with a slightly desperate sales assistant in House of Fraser, Croydon the other day: tried on a pair of 30/32 Linea (HofF own brand I believe) jeans, which I could barely get over my thighs - I'm no Chris Hoy, so this was a bit of a surprise. On leaving the fitting room, the sales assistant insisted that I try the next waist size up - 32". This seemed a bit daft as the 30" waist was a bit roomy, but I gave it a go. They were still a bit snug on the thigh, but I could have fitted a friend in around the waist. The sales assistant's suggestion that I could pull the 3-4" of excess waist band in with a belt was met with a, "no, I think I'm going to have to try another brand".

Downstairs in the Gap concession, I found a pair that were fine; should have gone there in the first place.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Uniqlo. Their S003 "relaxed" cut is pretty good for cyclists, without being 80's style baggies. Cheap and good looking as well.

If you can get to the states, the Levis 559 and 569 styles are my favourites, but not available in europe.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • cee wrote:
    I have been a GAP jeans wearer for a while because I could always get something that fitted.

Not any more...

I tried on every style of jeans they are currently doing...in 2 different wasit sizes....and walked out with no new jeans.

Might have to try River Island.

Gap worker jeans used to be OK but haven't seen them for a while.

I have spent so long trying to find somthing non skinny!!!
  • Next do some roomier pairs but have to admit that George at Asda also have some that fit and look just fine...

• I have spent so long trying to find somthing non skinny!!!

4 months to the day by the look of it! :D
  • ketsbaia wrote:

What's this place on Endell Street called, folks?