Hard to eat after a ride

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
After a good hard ride, I find it very difficult to eat. I take onboard a recovery drink, but I just cannot eat food. However, then I find my blood sugar level drops which isn't good. Any advice?

Comments

• I get this sometimes, usually after a hard race. Just consume fluids containing calories - sports drinks etc until you can eat again. If the ride was hard enough then you'll need to replace the calories anyway. A bottle of beer sometimes helps get the appetite back and suits the tastebuds better than sugary stuff which I often get sick of.
  • I feel the same way usually. A recovery drink tides me over for an hour or so till i get my appetite back.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • When I'm really spent and can't stomach much either (particularly not the sweet stuff I'd been eating all ride!), i hit the soup. Specifically just plain stock made from a stock cube, with maybe some rice thrown into the pan, which gets very soft and goes down easily. Magic -gives you liquids, salt, modest calories all in one go and I find it very easy to consume large quantities of. Particularly good when you're cold too.

That, and sweet tea - not a mug of builders' tea, rather sometime lighter like darjeeling with a teaspoon of sugar per mug. Gives you just enough pep to sort some food out!
  • Cheers lads
  • Might sound nasty to some, but for blood sugar drops I usually toss a pouch of beef jerky in the bag. Sounds weird, but it provides a slower boost that sweet stuff doesn't and generally improves my outlook. Far from doctor's orders, but it seems to work for me.
    Countryside: Cervelo Team Soloist (2008)
    Commuter: Bianchi Pista (46/18 FIXED)