25% hill climbs in South Wales are there any

cheaperholidays
cheaperholidays Posts: 151
edited May 2016 in Road beginners
Hi All

Does anyone know of any 25% hill climbs in and around south Wales..

Is the bwlch and or the Rhigos 25% climbs?

I cannot find any information so your help would be appreciated.
We are an online travel agency.

Specialized Sirrus (converting to road bars) - Honda Fireblade.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    pretty sure both are less than 10% average. Anything of 20%+ is unlikely to go on for any length of time....
  • The hill to get up to my house is 24%, thats the steepest hill I know of. Most hills that go on for any length of time are usually 12-16% at their steepest, however, thats just Ceredigion. There may be some 25% climbs South of Carmarthen that I dont know of.
  • The reason i ask i have entered the autumn epic 100 mile sportive and some of the hills are 25% perhaps at the beginning..

So i thought since i have no idea how steep a 25% hiill is - i would find a hill near me and have a go at it..

Kev

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I've raced up the 25% hill at Milland Hill in south east england and found it relatively easy, racing up the Defynnog climb in south wales was an awful lot harder. Gradient doesn't really tell you much unless it's the same climb - how much climbing you've had to do before the steep part makes a big difference.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Dinas Mawdy ?
  • Dinas Mawddy is in Machynlleth according to google maps. Which is in North Wales unfortunately.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    the devils staircase is the only 25% hill i know in south wales . although it might not be south enough for you. get yourself to llanwrtyd wells and then ride to tregaron, turn round and come back again. although the staircase is the steepest, theres 4 other hard climbs that will have you crawling . beyond that , its probably the only piece of road that every cyclist in the country, should ride at least once in their life.
    i know the route for the autumn epic and theres nothing there as tough as above.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Yup there are quite a few that get up and around 25% and higher. Problem is I don't know precise names because I tend to ride in a group with a good team leader who knows where he is going: however I do know there are a few examples :

1. There is a climb out of oxwich bay which gets up to around 20-23%

2. There is a very steep climb in penmaen in gower near to oxwich (you can easily link the two) which gets up over 25% and is very tough.

3. There are a few routes between garnswwlt and betws near Ammanford which are all steep although may be slightly short of 25%. They would be good training I am sure.

4. There is a very steep hill out of clydach near Swansea going toward craig cefn park which I have not done but I am told is 25%.

5.devils staircase up by llyn brianne resevoir outside Llandovery is as much of a challenge as you should need. If you can get over that you should cope with a lot IMO

just a few ideas to get you started !
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There's a nice climb out of Llanover up to Blaenavon. It isn't 25%, although it feels like it in places. It is really good for testing your strength and endurance because it doesn't offer much respite until you get to the top.

It is about 1.5 miles long, rises a total of just over 1,000 ft with long inclines of 20%. If you find you can breeze it and want another challenge then try adding a couple of large water bottles, filled to the brim and do the climb again, but faster :)
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    What the gradients are i don't know and it has been mentioned already anything that steep tends to be short..... so .

From where you live the beast of Ponty would be your toughest test :twisted: . it has been mentioned on this forum before but cannot find it.

To find it just go up the lane to Pontypridd Golf Club, don't turn off to the club but keep on going and you will slowly be climbing then the road turns right and kiss goodbye to any thoughts of taking it easy.

There's also a nice little tester opposite the Royal Hospital. On the opposite side of the dual carriage to the hospital there's a very large layby , turn in there and you will see a hill going up to old llantrisant town, not long but another little teaser.

If memory serves me right the Bwlch and Rhigos are not very much over 7%
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    I'm not being pedantic, but it's Dinas Mawddwy, it's nearer to Dolgellau than Machynlleth.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    neh bala :twisted:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Lazarus wrote:
    What the gradients are i don't know and it has been mentioned already anything that steep tends to be short..... so .

From where you live the beast of Ponty would be your toughest test :twisted: . it has been mentioned on this forum before but cannot find it.

To find it just go up the lane to Pontypridd Golf Club, don't turn off to the club but keep on going and you will slowly be climbing then the road turns right and kiss goodbye to any thoughts of taking it easy.

There's also a nice little tester opposite the Royal Hospital. On the opposite side of the dual carriage to the hospital there's a very large layby , turn in there and you will see a hill going up to old llantrisant town, not long but another little teaser.

If memory serves me right the Bwlch and Rhigos are not very much over 7%

I have rode this climb many times and I now wonder how on earth I used to manage it on old 6 speed on a 42 x 21.
    I did it recently after long ride as it leadsinto Abertridwr where I was born and parents live, and I cramped in my arms as I was pulling so hard as almost came to standstill !!
    This has to be the worst climb I ever did. My Garmin shows it as over 35%. Just as you thing you cracked the steepest bit, there is a cattle grid on 17% !!
    There is a pic of me going up it in the link in my signature below.
  • Some (none of them mega long) testers:

1. Graigwen in Pontypridd (leads "North" out of Ponty) and the Graig (leads "West out of Ponty). Brilliant climbs both. I think that above pic is of Graigwen.

2. Taffs Well to Pentyrch. (Up the Gwaelod). There are two ways of doing this. The normal route sees you tussle with lorries from the quarry so not great. Instead head up to the Gwaelod y Garth Inn and follow the switch backs. The first bit is insane.

3. Old Parish Road, Blackmill, Bridgend. Here's a link:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=t ... 7&t=h&z=17

Turn right just after where it says Old Parish Road and stay right. It's lean forward to prevent wheelies stuff.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Graigwen is that the hill that rises behind upperboat , i think you can go up past Griffin millcar sales . Correct me if i am wrong

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Lazarus wrote:

Thanks for that. My in-laws live in Maesycwmmer and have been looking for rides when I take my bike down from there, but don't know any riding.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Graigwen is that the hill that rises behind upperboat , i think you can go up past Griffin millcar sales . Correct me if i am wrong

Ok, you're wrong.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&saf ... A&t=h&z=14

:D
  • The cycling around Llyn Brianne is immense if you ever get the chance to cycle there. The climbs aren't 25% (except the devils staircase) but some of them go on forever. :D.
    It's very picturesque as you can see the road wind away on the side of the mountain into the distance.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Constitution Hill is the obvious one, it's the steepest hill I know of in South Wales although I haven't seen Old Welshman's favourite yet! Sections of the Llanelly Hill climb between Gilwern and Brynmawr are about 25%. As others have said climbs with meaningful lengths at that gradient are few and far between. The Rhigos and Bwlch are reasonably flat, maybe 10% in places, but are long. I suspect the climb on the sportive is exaggerated or more likely that is the steepest section but the climb (assuming it is longish) will average far less.
  • Yes i know i rode down it today bloody hell, i could feel the back wheel lifting i would need a low gear with an 8 in diameter to ride back up that, it was scary riding down it never mind coming back up :(

On the plus side i did ride up over the common and that bit from Griffin mill as you go over the bridge and round the corner is bloody steep

• Pross wrote:
    Constitution Hill is the obvious one, it's the steepest hill I know of in South Wales although I haven't seen Old Welshman's favourite yet! Sections of the Llanelly Hill climb between Gilwern and Brynmawr are about 25%. As others have said climbs with meaningful lengths at that gradient are few and far between. The Rhigos and Bwlch are reasonably flat, maybe 10% in places, but are long. I suspect the climb on the sportive is exaggerated or more likely that is the steepest section but the climb (assuming it is longish) will average far less.

Pross its brutal it was bloody scary coming down it :shock:

• 1. There is a climb out of oxwich bay which gets up to around 20-23%
    2. There is a very steep climb in penmaen in gower (LUNNON) near to oxwich (you can easily link the two) which gets up over 25% and is very tough.

I do a route round Gower which takes in these 2, plus Penrice and Ilston and a few other climbs (Three Crosses) as well. I'll have to put it on mapmyride so you can see - it's quite hard!

3. There are a few routes between garnswwlt and betws near Ammanford which are all steep although may be slightly short of 25%. They would be good training I am sure.
    This is where I'm off 2moro morning, stick in Betws mtn and the climbs over Felindre way and it's good prep for a sportive.

4. There is a very steep hill out of clydach near Swansea going toward craig cefn park which I have not done but I am told is 25%.
    Done this and it's really hard - you can link this up with the ride above over Felindre way.

5.devils staircase up by llyn brianne resevoir outside Llandovery is as much of a challenge as you should need. If you can get over that you should cope with a lot IMO
    Never done this but want to - the Devil's Elbow near Heol Senni is another hard climb - spoilt for choice aren't we!!!!
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I can thoroughly recommend the climb out of Rhayader through Cwmdauddwr and up towards Craig Goch - not stupidly steep, but climbs something like 900ft in under 4 miles - but the terrain and scenery in places can make it feel like Ventoux.... ;)
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Some (none of them mega long) testers:

1. Graigwen in Pontypridd (leads "North" out of Ponty) and the Graig (leads "West out of Ponty). Brilliant climbs both. I think that above pic is of Graigwen.

2. Taffs Well to Pentyrch. (Up the Gwaelod). There are two ways of doing this. The normal route sees you tussle with lorries from the quarry so not great. Instead head up to the Gwaelod y Garth Inn and follow the switch backs. The first bit is insane.

I live at the bottom of the Graigwen Climb and tbh very rarely climb it, but it is part of my short fun loop , which involves riding up the valley to Ferndale climbing up to Llanwonno and belting home along the top of the mountain. If someone only has a hour it's a nice ride.

The Graig hill i refuse to ride because of the traffic I feel it's too dangerous, cars try to keep up as much speed as they can , the road is narrow and bends to the right leaving a lot of the hill blind, but as an alternative i quite often take the secret hill that climbs the same mountain and ends up at "The Queens Head" pub. It's rough in places but worth it for the peace and quiet.

Climb the hill past Ponty Rugby club till you get to the roundabout, turn right towards the school and as you go up immediately turn left up a lane and keep on climbing, eventually after much climbing and a very short descent (The rough part ) you get to a junction, turn left for the top of the graig or right for Tonyrefail , if you have time give it a go :)
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Will do!

Should mention the climb out of Little Haven as well.

Nuts.
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Another Ceredigion steepie is the climb out of Ffarmers near Llancywys on this loop near Llyn Brianne we did over summer. You could easily take in the Devils Staircase too. The clim is situated on the Western edge of the loop.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40077854

It is more visible on the player at the 40 mile mark:

http://connect.garmin.com/player/40077854
  • there's a short section of the Bwlch from the south that's 14% but both Bwlch and Rhigos are no more than 7% ave.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Lazarus wrote:

Thanks for that. My in-laws live in Maesycwmmer and have been looking for rides when I take my bike down from there, but don't know any riding.
    If you fancy commiting suicide you can ride to ystrad mynach from inlaws, nice little bit downhill, then up towards nelson past the old tredomen works, then turn left at the top past nursing home and there is very steep climb about a mile which will take you over to top of senghenyddmountain, turn right to drop into nelson and then head for a470 and take old road towards glyntaf and you can tackle the really steep climb I mentioned then if still alove descend into abertridwr and at the square turn left to climb uo to senghenydd and go past old saw mills over to top of mountain agai, another nasty climb, then you can descend the climb towards tredomen and ystrad and back to Masy, I guarentee that although not very far that ride will rip your legs to bits :lol: