Chocolate and Gold 456 - (new pics on page 2)

kona_matt
kona_matt Posts: 475
edited October 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Well, i've been talking about this build for ages and i'm finally there. I have pretty much everything i need to get started but am still waiting for the rear wheel (hub out of stock) and a few other finishing kit bits. I'm also pretty short of time to actually build the thing as we've just moved house (and I managed to drill through an electric cable at the weekend but that's another story on another thread!) but i'm hoping to start next week. Photos and full spec below. Apologies for the poor quality of the photos, taken on the phone.

Frame: On-one 456 steel 18" in Chocolate Brown
Forks: Rockshox Revelation Air U-turn 120-150 with 20mm Maxle
Headset: Superstar Uno Headset (Gold)
Grips: Superstar (Brown Grips, Gold lockrings)
Bars: FSA Gravity Lite Handlebar FR-270A Black
Stem: RaceFace Ride XC Stem - 60mm 6 Deg Black
Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 185/185 postmount
Shifter: Shimano SLX M660 right shifter
Rear Mech: Shimano SLX Shadow Rear Mech - med cage
Post Clamp: Hope QR (gold)
Seat Post: (TBC)
Saddle: Charge Spoon (brown)
Chainset: Shimano Deore 590 Chainset 22/32/44 175mm cranks (to be converted to middle ring only)
Chain Device: Superstar XCR
Chain: SRAM PC991
Cassette: Shimano Deore 9 speed
Wheels: Superstar Tech2 Enduro Switch Wheelset (SS Switch EVO Gold Hubs, SS AM-490 White Rims, Gold Sapim Nipples, Silver plain gauge Sapim Spokes)
Skewer: Superstar Hollow QR (gold)
Pedals: Crank Bros Egg Beater
Tyres: Maxxis High Roller 2.35 (for now)

dfc68fdb.jpg
6e59b475.jpg
899e67a9.jpg
1e40a679.jpg
5e4b3b85.jpg
05ba94d1.jpg
FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon

Comments

• For the love of baby jeebus, make sure you wrap that frame up before all the paint escapes :wink:

Is that a gold cassette or is it just the light?

Good choice on kit anyway.
  • Looks like a very nice work in progress. Can't wait to see the final build!
  • For the love of baby jeebus, make sure you wrap that frame up before all the paint escapes :wink:

Is that a gold cassette or is it just the light?

Good choice on kit anyway.

Cassette isn't gold, just the light and the fact the shots were taken om my phone. Will get some better shots done when i get time to actually start building.
  • OP amended to include full spec.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    thats gonna look the shizzle! should ride amazingly too..... you should get some gold graphics for the rev's from the guy that did the orange ones for CWNT's pikes.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp wrote:
    thats gonna look the shizzle! should ride amazingly too..... you should get some gold graphics for the rev's from the guy that did the orange ones for CWNT's pikes.

my thoughts exactly! have already been PMing CWNT about it. I might go with some bright yellow graphics, have already ordered some bright yellow crankskins. i'll see how they look before making a choice on the fork graphics.
  • Woh.. thats gonna be a bling bling look :p

Looking fwd to the final piccies
  • should look nice when its built, welcome to the 456 club
  • kona_matt wrote:
    joshtp wrote:

my thoughts exactly! have already been PMing CWNT about it. I might go with some bright yellow graphics, have already ordered some bright yellow crankskins. i'll see how they look before making a choice on the fork graphics.

Just trying to remember, I DID let you know where I got mine done didn't I?
  • That's gonna look real bling!!!
  • Don't know if you've got grips but I just saw these and thought of your build

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31084
  • Don't know if you've got grips but I just saw these and thought of your build

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31084

Very nice, i've actually already got some superstar grips in exactly the same colours.
  • kona_matt wrote:
    joshtp wrote:

Just trying to remember, I DID let you know where I got mine done didn't I?

Err, i think so
  • kona_matt
    Made a start last night, please ignor the state of the garage in the background.

a8af9f5b.jpg
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Pimptastic!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    very smart, i'm liking the colour scheme 8)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Gold spokes or just the light again?! If they are gold, did Superstar build them with them on? If they did I'm definitely getting my wheels from them!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • kona_matt
    dot1 wrote:
    Gold spokes or just the light again?! If they are gold, did Superstar build them with them on? If they did I'm definitely getting my wheels from them!

Just the light again, gold nipples though :wink:

Gold spokes weren't a standard option but if you can source them i reckon superstar would build them. They do say that if there are options you want that aren't on the list, contact them.
  • kona_matt
    Hmmm, not sure about the yellow crankskins!

80d027a8.jpg
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    They're a bit much i think mate!
  • I agree, think it's a little to much yellow,

you have same kitchen worktops as me!!! wahey
  • Should have gone for the transparent gold ones. Less "in your face"
  • kona_matt
    Substantially complete now, need to get the brake hoses trimmed and i'm still waiting for the proper rear wheel to match the front (hub still not in stock) and fit the chain device but it's rideable and fantastic. :D

The yellow crankskins need to go, gonna slap some clear ones on for now. Also need to swap the flats for some egg beaters, get a mucky nutz fender bender and some chain stay protection.

3b82d59a.jpg
    2f59fe18.jpg
    6d1fc051.jpg
    8dc4669f.jpg
    684c7084.jpg
  • kona_matt
    I've handed her over to the LBS to sort out the brake hose lengths. They'd better look after her!
  • kona_matt
    LBS have finished the brakes, picking it up on the way home and will get the chaindevice fitted tonight. Those crankskins are going too, clear ones for now. Test ride planned for sunday, might even try and sneak onto some of the new olympic xc track if no one is around :wink:
  • kona_matt
    First ride yesterday (including a few sections of the under construction olympic XC course, shhhhhh :wink:) and loved it. Handles really well, doesn't feel too slack for XC even with the fork fully extended, I do like slack bikes though. Not a particularly comfortable ride but i wasn't expecting it to be. Would have to spend more on a frame for that steel flex (I'm already thinking about a BFe :roll: )

Wide bars may take a bit if getting used to, may have trim them slightly but will wait a bit longer before i make that decision. Also need to make a decision on the seat post, inline or offset? have my offset post from the kona on ATM and felt OK, again, more rides needed before a decision.

As for 1x9 set up, love it even if you do get quite a bit of rub on the chain device. a single speed ring is needed at some point too, did still lose the chain a couple of times. Gore Ride On cables are fan-bloody-tastic. Hope they stay this slick for a fews years to make the investment worth while.

Happy with the brakes now they're nicely bedded in. May get a smaller rotor on the back at some point, 185 is overkill, skids too easily. Oh, and need some white hoses to match the gear cable. I never thought i'd become such a bike tart!
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I'm liking the look of your bike. I wish I had the money and expertise to build one of these myself.
  • kona_matt
    Boy Lard wrote:
    I'm liking the look of your bike. I wish I had the money and expertise to build one of these myself.

thanks very much, i think it looks pretty good too 8)

money - yes, custom builds are more expensive than buying "off the shelf" but i thought it was worth the extra cash for exactly what i wanted. i was lucky enough for have a share payout to finance this build.

expertise - one thing this build has taught me, bikes aren't rocket science, they're pretty straight forward machines really. when i got my first serious bike a few years ago i knew nothing but as things went wrong with it, i used the internet to learn how to fix it and therefore learnt as i went along. that knowledge has given me enough to complete this build. also youtube has a video for pretty much everything! the only thing i didn't want to tackle was shortening brake cables and bleeding them afterwards, i think i will in the future though.

choosing components that are compatible can be tricky and requires some experience i suppose. i've often thought that what mountain bike/MBUK/MBR should do a supplement on building your own bike that covers compatibility issues.

let your knowledge (and savings account) build for a few years then give it a go if you still have a hankering for a custom build.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Well, when I win all the parts I need from this months MBUK all I need to do then is convince my wife that I really nee to get the Ti 456 and I'm in business. Until then I'll keep looking at everyone else's pictures.