Advice please - training all gone to...

FHKJ
FHKJ Posts: 151
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all

After a really good 8 months training I rode a few good sportives and the Etape and a few days in the Pyrenees after. All great.

A few weeks off on hols, and back in training for the past 10 days and EVERYTHING is too hard. Heartrate up 10-15% on average rides, power down 10%, and I feel terrible...

Today my HR hit 189 on a short steep hill that I would never normally get over 170 on...

Bit worried that I might be dying, or is that slightly over-dramatic?

Is this normal or do I need to walk slowly to the doc (trying to keep my HR below 150).

Help please, I'm genuinely a bit worried...

FJ

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Few weeks off the bike? If so I guess you have lost some fitness, no doubt as you get back into the swing of things, power will improve, and so should fitness.

You could also be suffering from a bug or virus, if you are really concerned go and see a doctor. Perhaps ask for a blood test to check iron levels etc.
  • If you are coming down with anything and its the right time to be coming down with something then i can guarantee you it will affect your performance. Not been on the turbo for a couple of weeks and managed 10km before i thought i was going to pass out.

Tried again sunday and managed about 8km of climbing up the pyrenees on the tacx and just blew, tried some spinning instead didnt work either lasting about 10mins Heart rate was sky high.

Might be the same for you.
    Its Italian, its carbon.....and some lanky tool rides it.
  • Sounds familiar - I had 3 weeks off the bike recently - and it's amazing how quickly you lose fitness - I suppose the good news is, that with some hard work, you can build things back up again.

So it may be hard work now, and lets face it - training will always be hard work, but the HR should reduce, and the power increase - give it a few weeks - good luck!
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    FHKJ wrote:
    Hi all

After a really good 8 months training I rode a few good sportives and the Etape and a few days in the Pyrenees after. All great.

A few weeks off on hols, and back in training for the past 10 days and EVERYTHING is too hard. Heartrate up 10-15% on average rides, power down 10%, and I feel terrible...

Today my HR hit 189 on a short steep hill that I would never normally get over 170 on...

Bit worried that I might be dying, or is that slightly over-dramatic?

Is this normal or do I need to walk slowly to the doc (trying to keep my HR below 150).

Help please, I'm genuinely a bit worried...

FJ

It's a common effect of having a break off the bike. Just keep riding and you should be back to normal in a few weeks. A 2 week holiday takes me 3-4 weeks to get over, but everyone is different - you may come back quicker.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."