Joe Friel's Bible v Peter Read's Black Book?

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,655
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I have recently downloaded the Black Book and was intending starting on it from November. However, a club mate has offered to help out with my training and has recommended Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible. The guy offering to help me has turned around his form over the last two seasons to get to a solid 2nd cat and turning out 22 minute 10s having been in a similar position to me before that and has also advised a newcomer who has become a 2nd cat in her first year and gone on to ride in a top class inetrnational stage race so it would appear that Friel's training plans are successful (although in the latter case there is obviously a huge amount of natural talent and determination).

My questions are:-

1. What are the main differences in these two training plans?
2. Has anyone used both and, if so, which would you advise?
3. Does anyone have a link to a free download of Friel's book (I already have Read's)?

Cheers.

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Free download, err no.

But you can pick them up cheap on eBay - ignore the buy-it-now and keep an eye open for a private sale 2nd hand one
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I have recently read both. My understanding is that they are both based on similar princples of building a base level of fitness in the lower endurance HR Zones before upping the intensity.

I've used both to develop my own training plan based around family/work.

BTW have you tried your local library for a copy of Friel's book? I have managed to borrow a copy from mine.
  • Pross
    Thanks, it's good that they use a similar principle. I'll try my local library - I didn't think it would be something they would have but it is a large library so there's a chance if others have it that they will too.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I've not tried the Pete Read plan but have had a read through it.

I used the Friel book last year and had mixed results with it, but that was probably more to do with me not following the plan very well.

The Friel approach is a lot more flexible (rather than Read's very prescriptive method). However, I think Friel tends to make things more complex than needs be.

The heart of the Friel book is his list of suggested workouts in the appendix at the back - get to grips with them in the right position on your training plan and you should make some reasonable performance gains.
  • The Friel book is a good starter. There are a lot that will point out it's inadequacies and recommend a coach instead, but if you want to make improvements on your own then the Friel book will cover you for 1-2 years. I haven't used the Read book so I can't comment.
    If you are looking for a free resource and you have enough understanding to apply basic training principles to cycling, then I would try Brian Mac (if you do a google search, it will be the first site on the list).
    There is a cycling specific area, but it isn't too hot, but the general information has lots of detail about training systems, types etc and also about perioidisation (which is a large part of Friels book).
    As a basis of a training plan, you wouldn't go far wrong applying the principles of the 10,000m or 5000m plans to cycling. They are in the section on Long Distance on the left hand side bar.
    If you need any extra information give me a shout.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Pross wrote:
    I'll try my local library - I didn't think it would be something they would have but it is a large library so there's a chance if others have it that they will too.

If they don't have it, they can order it for you. Libraries are ace :)
  • Pross
    Thanks again everyone. Mackdaddy, yes a coach would be nice but is not possible financially so I will also look up Brian Mac. I'm hoping to go down the self help route for a couple of seasons as I should be able to make huge improvements from my current base and I am getting a club mate who was in the same position as me to act as a mentor - I'll be very pleased if I can emulate his improvement in the last 2 years. I'm also hoping to get on a BC coaching course myself if I can sort out some grants and this should help me as well as giving me the ability to then help others at the club.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Freils stuff on the Stone Age diet I thought was a bit far out

Also the example training plans are quite funny to the non obsessive. Stuff like "Monday 5:30am, shower. 5:40am 2 hours base work"... "Friday: 9:30pm, 30 minutes personal time"

But overall the books is quite good and can help you build a training plan
  • I read and formulated my training plan for this season on Friel and I am 3/4 of the way through reading the Black Book.

I think the main difference is that the Black Book is effectively a "one size fits all" plan for everyone (well with a few distinctions for testers -v- roadies) this makes it a relatively easy plan to follow as you do as you are told.

On the other hand, to be effective the Friel book requires you to carry out more self analysis, both in terms of your strengths and weaknesses but also your season's targets. However, the result is likely to be a more specific trainoing plan.

If you have the time I think Friel may have the edge, just because of specifity. But I think the Black Book is probably easier to follow and requires a lot less thought.

I'm not decrying the Black Book by the way there are some sessions in it which I will probably incorporate as part of my progressive plan for winter training building up to next season and the reasoning seems solid enough. And as I'm sure many have read on here, following a plan, any plan, is better than not having any plan at all.