LIDL bike stuff now!

2»

Comments

• I got the last work stand at my local at 9am this morning, girl on the till told me that they sold all but one in the first 10 minutes, so I was lucky.

It is indeed very solid and well worth the money.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I went at 11am and there were only 3 stands left, I got one. I also got a couple of pairs of socks. Have not set the stand up yet though. Need to clear the garage of rubbish first lol.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    none left here

Bugger :(
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • underdog wrote:
    It is indeed very solid and well worth the money.

I've just finished building mine (not that it needed much) and can;t wait until I give it a try with a bike on it at the weekend.

There were about 10 of these in my store this morning and I think I got the first or second of them, not sure how quick they sold out, if they did at all.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • There wasn't a lot on show in my nearest branch this afternoon (toolkit, socks, gloves, panniers - I think that's it). I just bought a workstand recently so not too bothered it wasn't available.

I figured the panniers were worth a punt. They're not going to be the hardest-wearing and I think they'd be best for the occasional light shopping trip or a day trip with a picnic perhaps. Maybe ok for a commute but they may not last long if you use them in all weathers or fully-laden. The top case is every bit as big as it looks in the photograph but doesn't interfere with movement on the saddle. Don't buy it if you want to be aerodynamic though!

It was reasonably easy to fit the panniers securely enough to my rack outside the store within a couple of minutes (but then I wasn't carrying anything inside. Getting the inserts fitted properly inside the panniers and case once home was a different matter altogether! They're not exactly the right size ( too long) and you may need to trim them at the end to get a perfect fit.

All in all, fine for the money and the top case will only get very occasional use so will hopefully last a fair while. And they come with a big "shower cap" to keep the rain off. :)

I spent too long looking at the panniers and forgot to pick up some socks. :roll: I didn't bother with the tool kit - felt very heavy and besides it would prevent the use of a regular seatpack (which I have on all my bikes). Not sure I'd expect very good tools anyway. Still, it might be worth getting one to use the case as a sturdy container for a camera or other fragile items.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Bought the work stand, put it up and put the bike in it.

Immediately stripped the thread on the clamp. Not impressed and will be returning for a refined tomorrow.

Arse.
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I didn't get one. They'd all gone by 5:30. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be off to Wiggle/CRC/Ribble/Merlin for one soon.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • There was still a few in Lidl in Bridgend this afternoon for anyone local who was looking.
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    M1llh0use wrote:
    Bought the work stand, put it up and put the bike in it.

Immediately stripped the thread on the clamp. Not impressed and will be returning for a refined tomorrow.

ars*.

I had this issue with mine, got it home, put the bike in the stand & tightened the clamp to stop the bike rotating in the stand. was quite annoyed but very easily fixed by drilling through the bar & clamp and putting a big bolt through. It doesn't move at all now. do this little fix and it is a cracking stand for 30 sterlings :wink:
  • Gonna pick up some of the sealant and might have a go at a ghetto tubeless wheelset.
    Think this stuff will do the job instead of Stans?
  • If anybody needs a bike rack try and get one of Tue £10 Aldi ones. I put one on my commuter and it held 70kg ok.
  • Gonna pick up some of the sealant and might have a go at a ghetto tubeless wheelset.

No, from what I seen in my local it was puncture repair stuff, to put in once it's already got a hole in it, like the stuff they sell for your car. I don't think it stays in your tube to repair punctures when they happen, more instead of a traditional puncture kit. But I didn't pay attention to them so could be wrong.
  • underdog wrote:
    Gonna pick up some of the sealant and might have a go at a ghetto tubeless wheelset.

No, from what I seen in my local it was puncture repair stuff, to put in once it's already got a hole in it, like the stuff they sell for your car. I don't think it stays in your tube to repair punctures when they happen, more instead of a traditional puncture kit. But I didn't pay attention to them so could be wrong.

well, so long as it seals the tyre initially then it would be interesting to try. Anyway... my two local stores didn't have any sooo... off to the bike shop again. I bought my two 24" tubes today for the job too. Maybe tomorrow it'll get done.
  • I am pretty sure the stuff in Lidl only seals the hole for a short amount of time after it leaves the tin, and is not designed to be left in your tyre waiting for a puncture. On tubless you'd want something to seal any punctures you pick as they happen, because you will just be patching your tyre instead of a tube and thus almost pointless going tubless in the first place.

I have used Slime in my tubes to good effect so surely that would work and is fairly cheap, can even pick it up at your local Wilkinson.
  • underdog wrote:
    There was still a few in Lidl in Bridgend this afternoon for anyone local who was looking.

I checked last night, and they have now all gone if it saves anyone a journey.