How much can a MTB HT take?

2»

Comments

• I'd have guessed if there was a difference then aluminium would have to take a bigger impact, seeing as it's more likely to snap rather than bend like steel does.

On my hardtail i found that my r/s tora's were never using more than 100mm of travel even with the bombholes dotted on the cannock chase trails, and i ain't that shy so 100mm of well controlled travel should be plenty for general use i'd have thought
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure about the snapping aluminium thing. I've seen plenty of seat-posts and handlebars bend quite convincingly.
  • I'm guessing you're not on about lapierre's or commencal's when you say that :lol:
  • Anonymous
    nope.
    I think it depends on the level of heat treatment. I've also seen steel things snap.
  • I've had my old 4130 bmx frame crack, but it's mainly in the weld area's where aluminium is weakened, or so i'm led to believe.
  • Anonymous
    I think most aluminium cracks near welds are due to dodgy welding, more than anything else.
    It is a really tricky material to weld properly.
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    If you're getting more air, you shouldn't be worried about the frame. The pedals, cranks, BB, bars, forks, wheels will probably go before it does :D

Happy thoughts!
  • The majority of my riding will be XC with the occasional trails. Though, I like riding in bad weather, rain, snow, mud etc. Which is why I think I might go for the HT pro.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i'm not particularly rad and tend to roll jumps or at least keep as low as possible but find some time in the air on drop-offs is unavoidable.

anyway, i've got an entry level alu hardtail 80mm travel, one of the singlettrack sections on my regualr loop ends with a 1m ish drop onto a flat hard surfaced car park, although its probably not great for the bike i've been doing this 3-4 times a week for 18 months with no visible damage (for now :wink: ).

most times if i'm concentrating, the back wheel first is the way i land as well, i've already got my centre of gravity back from unweighting the front over the drop and i sort of push the bike down with my legs, then retract them as the wheel touches down on to soak up the impact, seems the smoothest way to me anyway.

probably helps that i'm currently <11 stone :( .