If you could live anywhere.....

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Kids, family and work all conspire to make the UK the best option for me. There are many places I have visited that I think would make great places to live - the French Alps, Melbourne, Argentina, Thailand, the list could go on almost indefinitely. Hopefully I'll be sprightly enough once my dependants are independant to hit the road again - there's a lot of places I'd still love to see!

As far as UK is concerned, I just can't look past London area. Best work, most vibrant and multi-cultural lifestyle, and if you get that little bit out of the centre the countryside isn't really that far away. Most of the pretty bits fall into the "nice to visit, but I couldn't live there" category.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Funnily enough, I'd love to live in Vancouver - the only city I've ever been to where I felt instantly at home - and for a job, as we're in fantasy mode, be a professional footballer (at 41!!!!).

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    I have a mate lives in Emerald Melbourne. Looks well nice.

I have not travelled much other than school trips (im not copmfortable travelling on my own).

If i have to go of my currentl salary then i doubt i could afford to live anywhere else :(

St Helena or midway (though the fact its part of the usa puts me right off to be honest) would be nice though.
  • Must admit I've become a bit bored with Edinburgh....although the city still looked stunning on the telly yesterday for "da Holy Fadder's" visit.

Would seriously consider moving back to Rannoch where I'm from or Wester Ross (but not Ullapool, the only good thing there is the chippy!)

The Italian Lakes or the Bernese Alps in a dream world. Ho hum.

But then there's the problem of getting to Tynecastle, maybe if I learned to fly and had my own plane, it could work
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    When we decided we wanted to go backpacking we made a list of all the reasons why we couldn't go (jobs, flat, car loan, language, lack of gear etc) and then worked out how to solve them. When we ran out of reasons not to go, we left...

Excellent way of working it out. Must remember to use that with my younger friends.
  • ...What has surprised me is the number of people who have moved to NZ and been surprised they dont earn as much as they did in the UK and then go on to moan about it and rip into NZ saying its basically sh*t. I think that is a fault of the immigration advisors as we only have 4 million people and while as an average 'Joe' you can have a big house and have access to any sort of countryside you want.in most cases you wont be able to afford the latest gadgets, that regular flight back to the UK or the latest car etc. For most Kiwis a European car is an extreme sign of wealth, VW's are massively expensive in NZ for example.

Yup. It's a lifestyle thing- Space & access to the outdoors in spades. Latest gadgets, imported goods, cars etc a lot more expensive. If you want fancy Italian coffee makers, European cars, household fittings etc they'll be much more expensive there.

One thing to note is that NZ is less diverse and multicultural than the UK. It's a small country and quite isolated. In the UK we're used to having a constant exchange of ideas with lots of different countries; that happens on a much smaller scale in NZ. It's hard to quantify the effect of this, but I think it can be significant and it isn't obvious from outside the country.

Cheers,
    W.

[edit] I havn't checked... but I bet a Campy-equipped Italian road frame costs a bomb in Wellington!

All true though NZ and OZ make the best coffees in the world period. I will go to my grave arguing that point :D

I shudder to think of what it will cost me to maintain the Wilier when I get back there, I may have to swap over to Shimano *goes foetal and rocks*
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • In Granada in Spain with the South Austrian mountains in the background with a 15 minute tube connection to central London. That would do me. Not asking too much am I?
    I like your thinking, everywhere is a compromise and it is such a shame that you can't pick and choose the 'right' bits!

I have a love / hate thing with London. I hate the crowds and rude people, but then it is the best place in the world for access to culture (museums, theatre, events), along with some great architecture, history and speaks the right language. Shame about the weather (a longer summer would be nice) and the bloody expense of living here. Cycling is actually pretty good all things considered, but it depends where in London you live.

interestingly a lot of retired people are downsizing by buying a flat in central London so they can access all the stuff easily (and on a free bus pass - they don't even need a car!)
  • ...I like your thinking, everywhere is a compromise and it is such a shame that you can't pick and choose the 'right' bits!

This is, of course, the fundamental point- If there was somewhere perfect, everyone would want to live there, and it would be horrible!

You need to identify your priorities and then be realistic about them. Coast? Mountains? Sun? Culture? Transport? Education?

For example...Scotland's west coast is full (probably the wrong word...) of people who can put up with midges and don't mind getting wet... London isn't ideal if you don't like crowds... Big Opera fan? Maybe Darwin isn't for you... etc.

Cheers,
    W.
  • For example...Scotland's west coast is full (probably the wrong word...) of people who can put up with midges and don't mind getting wet.

I hate the midge's, and prefer not to be wet.....

However, they are the downside's to the Scottish west coast. I have been all over the world, really like San Fran, Sydney and Vancouver, but there is just something magical about the Scottish west coast. Never really been able to put my finger on it, but it just is so relaxing, inviting, and beautiful.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    All true though NZ and OZ make the best coffees in the world period. I will go to my grave arguing that point :D

I agree with you which would not impress my paternal line! (also I hate Campag)
  • I think I'll keep relatively down to earth and say Anglesey. Had a holiday there a couple of years ago and it just seemed a lovely place.

Somewhere near rhosneiger or treaddur bay would be perfect. The beaches there are lovely and it's just quiet enough without feeling isolated.

Plus, with the A55 now I can be back in Manchester with friends in 2 hours.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • I'm pretty damn happy with where I am now. I'd consider buying in Ealing, and this:
    2952688622_b93de0d994.jpg
    is lovely for the weekends.

All I'd change is to have one more day in Essex, and one less in Ealing per week.

NOTE: if I have kids, Ealing's out of the question.

ETA: I have an aussie passport as well as an english one, but I'd never move to oz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    biondino wrote:

I agree with you which would not impress my paternal line! (also I hate Campag)

I drank a lot of coffee in Oz and NZ. Good times...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    This is the morning commute from last week - 41041_152768034748968_100000473177276_423584_6581417_n.jpg
    31503_132385340120571_100000473177276_297487_22487_n.jpg
    59459_153609421331496_100000473177276_428861_6735079_n.jpg
    47543_152768248082280_100000473177276_423586_4372378_n.jpg

Why be anywhere else?

-Spider-
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Here

girl_01.gif

Oh! you meant a place. :roll:

I may have stolen this image from another thread
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    itboffin wrote:
    Here

Surely you can get that to come to you? Or you can com..., Or you ..., Or ... . HHhmmmm......

I'll be on the next train.

-Spider-
  • itboffin wrote:
    Here

girl_01.gif

Are those arm warmers Castelli?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • itboffin wrote:
    Here

girl_01.gif

Are those arm warmers Castelli?

Arm warmers ??? what arm warmers ??

Back on topic i would like to move to Cyprus
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    anywhere in the european Alps with a decent pizzeria gelateria.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    If I could live anywhere, it would be in Upper Wharfedale. I would never tire of the riding.

Afford to do it? Nah. No work in my partner's line of business (and not much in mine) up there.
    Riding on 531
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Beunos Aires. Wouldnt even ride there. but wow what a city
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Most beautiful place I've ever been was Ilsaverde, Santa Cruz, Guatemala on the side of Lake Atitlan. The view each morning was magnificent and the beers were cold.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    Most beautiful place I've ever been was Ilsaverde, Santa Cruz, Guatemala on the side of Lake Atitlan. The view each morning was magnificent and the beers were cold.

Beers each morning? Fair play. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm happy in London. Not that I don't like other places but London seems to cover most bases for me.

The weather is temperate and good for running and cycling my passions, I used to live in Japan and in the summer it's just way to hot and humid to make decent exercise possible. I like that I live about 6 and a bit miles from work and can cycle in without much trouble all year round, it's not too far and not too near and apart from a little rain and snow now and then it's all pretty straightforward. A little less pollution and traffic might be nice I suppose.

I love that London is so close to the rest of Europe. I can shoot off to Spain, Italy, France, Germany etc at the drop of a hat (just come back from a long weekend in Biarritz in fact). Melbourne and San Francisco are lovely places (I've visited both) but Melbourne in particular is so far flung from anything that you literally have to catch a mid length flight to get away anywhere. I also love London for the diversity of food, products, people, bars and life in general. The down side of this is that it's incredibly busy and public transport is a nightmare, but having discovered cycling I manage to avoid the worst excesses of the Tube and train system. The upside is that there is a wealth of people from all over and from all backgrounds to meet and talk to.

I also love that London is so big that even though I have lived here for 10 years, there are still areas I don't know and can whizz off to explore.

My life is set up more or less just how I like it - I can go to the gym easily, get my food at the local market, work is good, lots of friends, family not far away.... I sometimes think that it would be nice to b*gger off and live somewhere else in Europe but then I think if it ain't broke why fix it?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

God yes. Great hotel / chalets run by a Welsh bloke and his Spanish wife. He was quite happy to leave you in the bar if it was late and trust you to note down what you had to drink and then lock the place up leaving the key under the mat.

With accommodation like that breakfast was late enough to include beer if you wanted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

God yes. Great hotel / chalets run by a Welsh bloke and his Spanish wife. He was quite happy to leave you in the bar if it was late and trust you to note down what you had to drink and then lock the place up leaving the key under the mat.

With accommodation like that breakfast was late enough to include beer if you wanted.

Ah, run by a Welsh bloke. There we are then. 8)

I fully take on board what HH says, but I'm reading Asprilla's post, and then I'm reading HH's post and I'm thinking this place in Santa Cruz doesn't sound too bad.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    London is almost the last place I want to live. The drivers are shocking and the roads are crap.

And black snot.
    Riding on 531
  • cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Ah, run by a Welsh bloke. There we are then. 8)

I fully take on board what HH says, but I'm reading Asprilla's post, and then I'm reading HH's post and I'm thinking this place in Santa Cruz doesn't sound too bad.

Fair enough but the original conditions at the start of the thread were that it had to be somewhere you could move to and keep a job, pay the bills and live with your family & kids if you have them.... Living by the side of a lake with cold beers in the morning sounds lovely but who's gonna pay the rent eh?

If we're opening this up to "I'm a multi billionaire and could live anywhere" then I would need to give it a LOT more thought... I'd probably just by a boat and keep sailin' round the world til something stuck and then sell the boat and buy a bloody great mansion and live there...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.