You can tell winter's coming...

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
... by the sheer number of muppets driving right now.

So many drivers over the past few days with zero road sense and no spatial awareness. Lost count of the number of close shaves I've had this week - my insult muscles are certainly getting a good workout.

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Better evidence of winter approaching is the proportion of complete weapons who don't think they need lights, despite riding home at around 8pm when it's been pretty much dark for the best part of an hour.

At a rough guess I reckon over half the people I saw on the way home last night had no lights at all, and a lot of those that did either only had one, or were still using the same batteries they bought two years ago.

Of course most of the above were wearing helmets, because they're very conscientious about their safety. They are helmets.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Indeed. One chap in Mitcham was dressed head to toe in black, including a black woolly hat, on a black BSO with no lights. The Army should speak to him about camouflage in urban environments as he was almost invisible.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Aidy wrote:

So many drivers over the past few days with zero road sense and no spatial awareness. Lost count of the number of close shaves I've had this week - my insult muscles are certainly getting a good workout.

This is the worse week I've ever experienced :(

Perhaps it's something in the water :twisted:
  • _Brun_
    The worst week is the one after the clocks change. This is nothing.
  • _Brun_ wrote:

+1

Amazing how widespread nervousness about the approach of winter is at the moment - not just amongst cyclists. I guess because last winter was (for this country) long and severe.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    _Brun_ wrote:

+1

Amazing how widespread nervousness about the approach of winter is at the moment - not just amongst cyclists. I guess because last winter was (for this country) long and severe.

I'm not particularly nervous about it, I just like summer.
  • ...the buff has had a couple of morning outings already.

I know I know.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • This will be my first commute in the winter.

Any must buys? (other than lights)

I am still in shorts and t-shirt, I have noticed a few people in full thermal tights and winter jacket bit extreme no?
  • This will be my first commute in the winter.

A buff - or even two
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Aidy wrote:

Must say I have noticed this too.

Was going to have a rant about it but I thought "maybe it's just me...". How wrong was I!

Incidentally, the worse overtake by far was by a learner driver: not his/her fault, but the fault of the alleged instructor: close and dead slow overtake just before approaching bend with oncoming traffic and to top it all off, a swerve to the left just inches from my front wheel.

They were going so slow I was going to try and keep up but realised it would have been silly...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This will be my first commute in the winter.

I am still in shorts and t-shirt, I have noticed a few people in full thermal tights and winter jacket bit extreme no?

Depends how much you feel the cold. I wrap up like an eskimo, so have the following:

1. full finger gloves (with baselayer gloves)
    2. Overshoes
    3. a variety of baselayers
    4. long sleeved jersey
    5. warm socks
    6. Gore Phantom II jacket or Altura Night Vision jacket
    7. a buff
    8. a beanie or a thermal skull cap
    9. fleece-lined running tights (to go under the bib shorts)
    10. Chapstick! and vaseline on the cheeks.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • _Brun_
    I was surprised by this too. I think these people are known as 'Southerners'.

LiT excepted, she's somehow unafflicted.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Get yourself down to Aldi and get some thicker gloves, maybe some socks and some waterproofs (if you like that sort of thing). It's this week's "special" along with 500ml of spanish extra virgin olive oil.
    I think full thermals are a bit OTT at the moment but some people feel the cold more than others, and it was a bit breezy the other day. It's Autumn at the moment, not Winter yet.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Shorts for Life!

If I can manage mtb'ing down Snowdon in freezing icey snowing conditions, in shorts, I can manage the mean streets of London!
  • @pitchshifter

how long's the trip?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • cjcp
    nich wrote:
    Shorts for Life!

If I can manage mtb'ing down Snowdon in freezing icey snowing conditions, in shorts, I can manage the mean streets of London!

Your knees! Think of your knees, man!!! :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 40 mins. Still getting pretty sticky once I get in, full gas most of the time though..

Knee warmers worth it? or just full tights?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Personally, I think warmers are great. Just started using the armwarmers again this week. Soon the kneewarmers will make an appearance. That'll do for most london conditions. I also have legwarmers and full-on roubaix bibtights (the dhb merstons are ace for commuting in deepest winter). The tights only got used for a couple of weeks last winter.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I think full thermals are a bit OTT at the moment but some people feel the cold more than others, and it was a bit breezy the other day. It's Autumn at the moment, not Winter yet.

I think it depends on how regularly people cycle.
    I cycle every day so I get accustomed to the weather cooling down and end up still wearing my summer clothes, but carry a long sleeve base layer with me just in case.
  • cjcp
    40 mins. Still getting pretty sticky once I get in, full gas most of the time though..

If it's your first winter of commuting, best to gear up.

I find my full tights have the edge over knee warmers when its cold and wet. I'll take a spare pair of tights into work too so I have something dry to change into.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    cjcp wrote:
    This will be my first commute in the winter.

Depends how much you feel the cold. I wrap up like an eskimo, so have the following:

1. full finger gloves (with baselayer gloves)
    2. Overshoes
    3. a variety of baselayers
    4. long sleeved jersey
    5. warm socks
    6. Gore Phantom II jacket or Altura Night Vision jacket
    7. a buff
    8. a beanie or a thermal skull cap
    9. fleece-lined running tights (to go under the bib shorts)
    10. Chapstick! and vaseline on the cheeks.

You big blouse CJCP.

When it's under 10 degrees - long sleeves.
    When the clocks go back - tracksuit bottoms
    When it's under 5 degrees - long sleeve top over short sleeve top
    When it's sub zero - wooly hat and two pairs of socks and gloves
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    edited September 2010
    It's only my hands that get really cold. Still wearing short sleeve base layer, shorts and fingerless mitts for now, but in darkest winter I wear a long sleeve base layer and a jacket, 3/4 length shorts and full finger waterproof gloves. For really cold, an extra pair of gloves underneath and calf length Sealskins, and as above a buff covering neck, ears and exposed (ok, bald) head.

And I agree about traffic this week - much heavier as well.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Knee warmers really come into their own when you've been wearing tights for weeks and you get a warmer day. Swapping back to shorts and knee warmers, and giving your calves an airing, is wonderful...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    t-shirt, shorts and gilet for commute at the mo, although for early morning runs I've gone back to the merino t shirt (best buy for winter, you don't know how good they are until you wear one!).

What I have noticed this week is the HUGE increase in commuting cyclists, normally only 3 to 4 regulars, now dozen to twenty. Must be noobs as I can waste'em on my heavy ol' mountain bike and they are on nice road bikes. I blame the Tour of Britain!
  • cjcp wrote:
    7. a buff

A what?
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Hot Orange wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    7. a buff

A what?

a fairly versatile piece of kit

http://www.buffwear.com/catalog/
  • Jeeeez guys what's the problem?

Shorts - all winter, tights if it is < 0C
    Short sleeved base top, with long sleeved jersey on top. Will change jersey to soft shell jacket if below 5C.
    If raining, shell jacket on top.

Long finger gloves, ski gloves when < -5C

Woolie Boolie socks, cycling shoes. Overshoes in the rain, Northwave GTX as an option.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Hot Orange wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    7. a buff

A what?

a fairly versatile piece of kit

http://www.buffwear.com/catalog/

Oh, I see. Something else for the shopping list, then... Ta!
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    As my old dad used to say "The heat is in the pipes boy". As soon as I crank it up I'm warm as toast. The only bits of me that ever get cold are finger tips and the end of my nose.

Not much you can do about the nose, but gloves go from fingerless knog leather mits to thinnish grippy gloves bought from a hiking shop to leather motorcycling gloves when the brass monkeys start asking around for brazing shops.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    still in shorts but have moved to a long sleeve running T shirt; sleeves are rolled up within a few minutes though.