ToB: the hardest yet?

2»

Comments

• Gordo's World of Zoom http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/
    Those that can, do. Those that can't write about it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    SLX01 wrote:
    Do we really need every bit of cycling in the UK monopolised by Sky? Its fine whilst they are happy but if they decide cycling is a bit 'last year' and pull out it would leave British Cycling up the creek without a proverbial paddle.

Nothing in Sky's 20 year history suggests that they'll suddenly up sticks and leave cycling. They have a good record of investing in sports and sticking with it for a long stretch - no running away at the first sign of trouble.

History suggests that they are more likely to up their investment to make it work rather than quit.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • They took us through Stoke on Trent......ASSASSINS!!!
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    SLX01 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Some very good stages so far and some riders there intent on giving it their all (Dan Martin, Hoogerland, Porte and Albasini in particular). It's just a shame it can't get a position earlier in the season but I'll be grateful if we have it at all next year. Maybe Alan Sugar with his love of the sport can get involved as a headline sponsor?
    That's a good call with Sugar and yes an earlier season slot would be beneficial. But then there's fitting it in around the other bigger races I guess.

I there anything stopping Sky sponsoring he race (conflict of interest with team?)? If not then I'm surprised they haven't been talked into sponsoring the race as they do the Sky rides linked with it.

Do we really need every bit of cycling in the UK monopolised by Sky? Its fine whilst they are happy but if they decide cycling is a bit 'last year' and pull out it would leave British Cycling up the creek without a proverbial paddle.

So given that it's unlikely that the race will get funding from public sources in the next few years would you a) like to see the race disappear now or b) take the chance on Sky sponsoring it and keeping it afloat with the risk that they may pull out at some point in the future (although their continued support of cycling doesn't suggest this is likely to happen in the near future)?

I'm just trying to think of corporate sponsors that may ensure the Tour's long term future as well as giving more freedom to the organisers on the route. I also mentioned Alan Sugar as another potential sponsor in some form and if anyone else can think of possible sources of sponsorship with a known interest in cycling then great.