ToB: the hardest yet?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited September 2010 in Pro race
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/tour-of-britain-2010-is-this-years-route-the-hardest-ever-27779
Personally I think it's been vastly better viewing than expected, after the previous years. The last 2 stages were great to watch.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    Some very good stages so far and some riders there intent on giving it their all (Dan Martin, Hoogerland, Porte and Albasini in particular). It's just a shame it can't get a position earlier in the season but I'll be grateful if we have it at all next year. Maybe Alan Sugar with his love of the sport can get involved as a headline sponsor?
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Pross wrote:
    Some very good stages so far and some riders there intent on giving it their all (Dan Martin, Hoogerland, Porte and Albasini in particular). It's just a shame it can't get a position earlier in the season but I'll be grateful if we have it at all next year. Maybe Alan Sugar with his love of the sport can get involved as a headline sponsor?
    That's a good call with Sugar and yes an earlier season slot would be beneficial. But then there's fitting it in around the other bigger races I guess.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hoogerland.

Good value.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I'd agree, definitley harder this year, and has made much better viewing on TV.....

Like Pross says, we'll be lucky to have one next year at all :( Shame as its what got me into cycling initially when I saw the race finish in Stoke in 2008..
  • There was talk that a number of riders were complaining the parcours were too hard this year - can anyone name and shame!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    There was talk that a number of riders were complaining the parcours were too hard this year - can anyone name and shame!

Christian Meier isn't a fan: http://twitter.com/christianmeier/status/24384436471
  • Meier, Renshaw, Hunter... most people from sunnier climes !
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I mentioned this in another thread. I think this years course has been superb and a real credit to Graham Jones and the race. The TOB has for too long contained complete 'nothing' stages and has made for a boring race. This years has been very good.
  • Pross
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    That's a good call with Sugar and yes an earlier season slot would be beneficial. But then there's fitting it in around the other bigger races I guess.

I there anything stopping Sky sponsoring he race (conflict of interest with team?)? If not then I'm surprised they haven't been talked into sponsoring the race as they do the Sky rides linked with it.
  • Pross
    I think the key is they have fitted climbs in near the end of the race. The weather has also added to the difficulty but the big mistake in past races (and nationals or even other countries races) is they waste the climbs that are available on the route by putting them in the first half and giving everything too much time to get back together. We aren't blessed with huge climbs in this country but the last two days have seen 20% climbs in the last few kms.
  • Agree it's been great viewing - either of the last two stages would make good one day races in their own right.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Loved the route this year, was really disappointed last year there were lumps but no real tests and do many bunch sprints

Never seen such miserable riders yesterday! Good old England
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    I think its a pretty hard race most years so far lumpy and hard on the legs..it has easier years.

the thing that strikes me about the race is despite being dominated by the PT and conti teams rather than the premier calender lads (who do manage to show on occasion but less so recently) is how the racing still looks like premier calender racing with repeated attacks and numerous groups breaking reforming all day long.

Uk roads can be hard.

there is some stiff riding to be had over this side of the channel
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Be nice to get a top one day race back here. The problem is, when the Wincanton was on the World Cup circuit it was just a glorified crit and the organisers chose some really poor routes. You could have a fantastic one dayer in the mould of the Ardennes races in many part of the UK.
  • They are definitely going in the right direction on the route. When some pros start whinging you know it's good! Great podium girls too, was most dissapointed when my sky box broke last night..not because I wanted to see Wiggo roll in second but because I wanted to see the girls!

I'd also love to see a top one day race in the UK but can't see it in the near future due to funding and road closures etc. Plus it takes time to build a race up from scratch, particularly if you're going to try and compete with established one dayers. Mind you the two canadian races were great and attracted a top field in their first year as PT events..but i'm guessing that they must have sent a chunk of money the UCIs way to get PT status and that's a bit hard to come by in the UK....

Let's just hope that the TOB doesn't fall victim to the recession as it would be a shame to lose it when it was just starting to get good...like the Tour of Ireland.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Given the way road cycling is exploding in popularity in the UK I can't see the ToB disapearing.

It will never be a big race however.
  • I was wondering the other day whether races might ever go the way of American sports teams - moved around depending on where the owners thought they could make the most profit. Who knows - maybe one day Amstel Gold could be run through the Peak District !

Not that I'd want historic races to be shifted around of course.

• This has been been the best ToB by far (in it's latest version that is). Last year's route was a big let down and it was disappointing that our national race was viewed as a sprinters race, which is disappointing for us British cyclists who struggled over bigger climbs than the ToB was going over and felt they always missed the best opportunties that the areas they cycled through offered. This year the race is exciting, unpredictable and not too controlled and that it down to the tougher route (with a little help from the weather).

The race has also seen an improvement in the quality of the field and whereas last year Thomas De Gendt was the race's saving grace (and such a pity he's not riding it again this year), this year we have had entertaining racing from Dan Martin, Jonny Hoogerland, Richie Porte and Albasini in particular.

It would be a travesty to see this race disappear and feel it could go on to become bigger and better in future years if it can get the funding. Graham Jones has done a excellent job this year and if the race continues then I hope he keeps it this way (like Ned said, you know you're doing something right when the riders are complaining it's too hard).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Given the way road cycling is exploding in popularity in the UK I can't see the ToB disapearing.

Agreed. Especially with Paddy's recent comments on enforcing rules about who can take part in races. To keep the UK domestic teams involve, you can't let it it get too big.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    iainf72 wrote:

Agreed. Especially with Paddy's recent comments on enforcing rules about who can take part in races. To keep the UK domestic teams involve, you can't let it it get too big.

Dates are no good fo ToB, the Vuelta at the same time is not a good thing for then
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • iainf72 wrote:

If the race survives then hopefully the UK domestic teams will get bigger and stronger (if ToB and Tour Series can continue). Endura did well early season when racing against the Pro Tour teams and now have a better squad with their recent signings. Hopefully Rapha and eventually Raleigh will progress to a higher level and we have exciting prospects like Dave Clarke who with a bit of experience would have relished this year's race.
  • Really enjoying this years ToB - Christ we even saw Wiggins ride yesterday . Hearing pro's complaining about how hard it is is good too - sort of validates riding in this country. And definitely the best podium girls of any race anywhere (Graham Jones obviously lurks on Cake Stop) The one downside is the London stage having to be in bloody Beckton thanks to the bloody Pope.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've been really impressed with Endura - they've had a man in the break virtually everyday and that man has not shirked his duties. Really pleased for them - they have made a step up that I would have hoped Rapha could have (and haven't) and really outshone the other national teams.
  • Endura impressed me with how they got into the Tour of the Med, Haut Var and Murcia earlier in the season (thanks to Brian Smith). They started shakily as you'd expect but held their own by Murcia. Since then they impressed by signing Camano who looked good yesterday. With them also recently signing former AG2R rider Rene Mandri and Maarten de Jonge earlier this month, I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Pro-Continental status next year. It would probably do some of our current academy boys good to race with a team like this if they're not good enough to make the step up to Pro Tour level. And to think they didn't even start the ToB with two of their original 6 man line-up.
  • Given the way road cycling is exploding in popularity in the UK I can't see the ToB disapearing.

It's been in the news this week that Somerset Council are not sure they will be bidding to host next year as they are several hundred million pounds in debt and would find it hard to justify it to their tax payers
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    Pross wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I there anything stopping Sky sponsoring he race (conflict of interest with team?)? If not then I'm surprised they haven't been talked into sponsoring the race as they do the Sky rides linked with it.

Do we really need every bit of cycling in the UK monopolised by Sky? Its fine whilst they are happy but if they decide cycling is a bit 'last year' and pull out it would leave British Cycling up the creek without a proverbial paddle.
  • we have exciting prospects like Dave Clarke who with a bit of experience would have relished this year's race.

I was thinking Dave Clarke would have enjoyed this year's race - he's in his 30s now isn't he so not sure he's a prospect - good ride at the national rr this year though.

• Pross wrote:
    Be nice to get a top one day race back here. The problem is, when the Wincanton was on the World Cup circuit it was just a glorified crit and the organisers chose some really poor routes. You could have a fantastic one dayer in the mould of the Ardennes races in many part of the UK.

I watched it in 1990 when it was based in Brighton and I thought the route was OK. Going up Ditchling Beacon repeatedly is a bit worse than 'a glorified crit'.
  • we have exciting prospects like Dave Clarke who with a bit of experience would have relished this year's race.

I was thinking Dave Clarke would have enjoyed this year's race - he's in his 30s now isn't he so not sure he's a prospect - good ride at the national rr this year though.

Just shown my ignorance there as I've only recently been following cycling again, so wasn't sure how old he was. I thought he was a young lad, though that probably just shows that I'm getting old :(
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    I'm happy to see riders moaning about its difficulty.

I'm no fan of numerous flat stages, and whilst they serve a purpose in the Grand Tours, organisers of this one (and many others) should be looking to make a statement with the relatively little time that they have. If I was a pro, I'd much prefer the esteem that comes with winning the ToB than, say, the Tour of Oman. Christian Meier and the other delicate little souls can go and ride the latter.