Gore bike wear...

MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
So if you could get anything from Gore - one item 50-200 squids what would you get?
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Their Xenon Thermo Jerseys are excellent in the winter. I need a smaller one for this winter.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Their Xenon Thermo Jerseys are excellent in the winter. I need a smaller one for this winter.

They do look rather swish too...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Just got their Phantom jacket recently - really impressed so far.

Nice softshell Windstopper jacket with removable arms.

I also love their waterproof shorts - ridden many miles with them.

If I were buying something new with the budget you suggest, it'd have to be a new waterproof (probably their Oxygen jacket) to replace my old Altura one.

But, currently, don't have that money, so I won't.

But in my experience the Gore stuff is really good quality and very durable. It's probably the clothing brand I trust the most for cycling.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got the Contest AS jwindstopper acket as well. It's OK, but I don't think it breaths very well. I get very hot wearing it so unless it's absolutely bucketing it down I avoid wearing it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    either:
    oxygen jacket
    oxygen jersey
    oxygen bib tights
    phantom jacket

I bought all of the above last winter and will be buying 2 more pairs of tights this winter.

Gore stuff is brilliant. genuinely brilliant.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Thanks OP you just cost me £46 due to this thread and I am blaming you. In fact you should reinburse me for causing me to go online and browse Gore stuff, then due to your posting I was forced to order an oxygen jersey (Amazon). I cannot be blamed for my actions :D
  • davmaggs wrote:
    Thanks OP you just cost me £46 due to this thread and I am blaming you. In fact you should reinburse me for causing me to go online and browse Gore stuff, then due to your posting I was forced to order an oxygen jersey (Amazon). I cannot be blamed for my actions :D

*looks innocent* :D
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    The Cross jacket is very nice.
    Paclite Gore Tex folds down to nothing, but yet dry and quite warm.
    exercise.png
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I've got 2 Phantom jackets and they are absolutely superb.

I would probably kit myself in head to toe in their stuff if I had the chance.

Oh look, it's my birthday next month....
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    R TA i bought the whole winter wardrobe last year, i shall be adding a few pieces this year
  • Just bought an alp-x 3 jacket and an ozon windstopper s/s jersey

I am a massive gore fanboy. Gore stuff has kept me warm and dry on many miserable occasions in the lake district mountain biking all year round,day and night as well as commuting.

The quality is excellent and is very durable. It seems much better quality than other clothing I have had (endura,altura,cannondale)

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    This winter I'm determined to carry on commuting and I'm looking for advice on the best winter / waterproof clothing for winter. I want to stay dry and warm, but don't want to overheat or be soaked with sweat from the inside either. I take it from these posts that Gore is a good place to start? Are they ok for those of us with a larger body frame (18stone 6ft tall) and what would you wear under them in winter?

--
    Chris
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • R_T_A
    Sketchley wrote:
    This winter I'm determined to carry on commuting and I'm looking for advice on the best winter / waterproof clothing for winter. I want to stay dry and warm, but don't want to overheat or be soaked with sweat from the inside either. I take it from these posts that Gore is a good place to start? Are they ok for those of us with a larger body frame (18stone 6ft tall) and what would you wear under them in winter?

--
    Chris

Gore is great, but it is expensive. As long as that isn't a major issue, you get what you pay for.

You'll need a good base layer - I use my thermals from skiing. Merino wool content seems to be the best choice, and Aldi are having a good selection of half decent stuff at cheap prices like this:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_15606.htm

For the mid/top layer go for windstopper fabric - you're going to get wet from rain or sweat, but you don't have to get cold. I can't stand the plasticky "boil in the bag" jackets, and the Phantom is fantastic for regulating heat. As a rough guideline I'm 6" 1' and 14 stone, and I take a XL.

Gore beanie/gloves/socks and a Buff around the neck will reduce the chill factor too.

And make sure everything is reflective and have good lights.

There's a few hundred quid I've spent for you :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Give the aldi merino a miss its only 30% merino, go for 100% to avoid the stink factor :)

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    R_T_A wrote:

+1. (I only have one, mind. Two is just greedy. :) )
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I have ordered from wiggle who are probably going to invite me to their xmas party :
    Gore Bike Wear Power II Thermo Bib Tights Plus Black/Red Large
    and I have over shoes on back order.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Its when you know a dude @ gore and can get a discount that you wonder what to get...

I already have a alp x which is the dogs danglies, but thinking bibs or long sleeved softshell.

Is the phantom rather swish then?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a Phantom too, and it's really, really, really, really nice :D

Can be worn in the summer when the evening start to get a bit chilly, with the sleeves removed and the zip open. But put a merino wool baselayer under it, zip the arms on and it's warm enough for night MTB rides in the snowy depths of January. It's one of my favourite bike things, expensive, but worth it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • R_T_A
    cjcp wrote:
    R_T_A wrote:

+1. (I only have one, mind. Two is just greedy. :) )

I just couldn't decide on what was the best colour Daaarrrllllinnngg :P

@MM - if you know a guy at Gore, you can be his "Gore Whore"...
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I wore the Phantom as a gilet last night and this morning. Lovely, it was.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Wore the armwarmers this morning. Stupid autumn! The memory of riding in 26degree heat on sunday is already fading fast :(
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Wore the armwarmers this morning. Stupid autumn! The memory of riding in 26degree heat on sunday is already fading fast :(

girls
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • R_T_A wrote:
    @MM - if you know a guy at Gore, you can be his "Gore Whore"...

Even better he's called Al...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

girls

Indeed, I had my hi-viz gillet on this morning as it was so gloomy, and I was dripping by the time I got to work.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I prefer Endura. At the mo I'm only using my bike to commute to work and back, have noticed recently that it has got pretty cold when I set off at 7:30am!
    So bought myself a new Endura jacket and gloves.
    As I follow my local store, Primera, on Facebook, they sent me a code to get 10% off. Feel free to use it!
    code: ENDURA-10

Hope that helps!
  • I used to go for endura until i had a bad spell of items with dissolving stitching, everything was replaced under warranty but got bored of having to do it in the end

• Oh really? that sucks. Never had probs myself but will definitely inspect the items a bit more closely before I buy. Thanks
  • that reminds me I need to do a little surgery on a new jersey where the zip snagged and pulled out a little.
  • On a new jersey? Was that Endura as well?
  • nikstar1 wrote:
    On a new jersey? Was that Endura as well?

cannondale actually. sale hence why not bothering with returning it.