Logistics, logistics, logistics...

2»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rjsterry wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Without wanting to hijack the thread into a building services discussion, if you turn your radiator on, the boiler will have to burn more fuel to provide that extra heat, regardless of whether the heating system is centralised or not. Ditto for the A/C.

Even the chaps who hang their soggy kit in their server rooms will be putting a small extra load on their server room's cooling system, which will use more energy.

But surely the point is that all of this so-called "energy" comes from a finite source. If you don't get in fast, grab all that you possibly can, and a bit extra just to be sure, there might not be any left when you need it.

I certainly wouldn't want to be cold just to feel I was playing nice sharing games, that's for sure...

Grabbing it all now is only any use if you have somewhere to store it. Grabbing it all and sending it up the chimney is wasteful whether you go in for carbon footprints or not. In most cases, that finite source will be a gas reservoir underneath Russia or something like that, so it's finiteness isn't really an issue to LiT (in the short term, but in the long term will become a very big problem indeed). Heating is generally gas-fired or electric (although there are a lot of other options). LiT has probably got 'comfort cooling' rather than full A/C (which has humidity control as well), but either way, that is all electric as well.

With LiT's fan heater, there will be a fan (electric) and a heat source (hot water pipe or electric element). If the heater isn't used, that's no fan, plus either less gas burnt to replace the heat lost from the pipe into the room, or the heating element switched off.

I'll shut up about this now.

Just need to hook up the blower to some sort of turbine and put a set of pedals underneath LiTs desk. You dry your commuting clothes during the work day, and the work day clothes go on the back of the Viner like a flag and get dried on the commute home. Zero energy wastage, I think I've just perfected perpetual motion, world fixed, simple.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I thought the whole point of cycling a lot was not having to worry about other carbon stuff?

I mean, is it so wrong to burn your old tyres in your back garden then?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I'm very lucky in that i have an underground, pass-controlled 24 hour car park to leave my bike in.

I park my bike in front of the air conditioning fans and once changed hang my wet/sweaty kit over the frame until it's time to leave.

Come the evening, the kit is always perfectly dry. much nicer to change into than damp musty kit.
    FCN = 4