Logistics, logistics, logistics...

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

One of the few things not to look forward as every evening approaches is getting into that damp jersey for the ride home. While the morning ride is a refreshing experience, the showering and changing in a crapmed cubicle is also a bit of a downer...

Appreciate if people share their logistics, i.e. the number of jerseys in circulation, take home vs dry clean etc.....

In terms of the facilities available I actually think I am probably one of the luckiest. Park the bike about 7 min walk from the office, no locker, but have a corner to kep the shirts and the _wet cycling kit_, showers are a few minutes away, not ideal, but doable.

Thanks

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Two showers on each floor and then four more in the on site gym. One of the showers is within 15m of my desk. Bike parked in secure cycle cage in secure underground car park.

One jersey / shorts at a time which dry on the coat stand next to my desk. I do keep spare cycling socks at work as putting them on damp isn't pleasant.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    And I was thinking you were refering to the waste of skins in the next door office to mine.

It's been 10 weeks and I am still waiting on the Logs staff to order the engine parts I have requested. :evil:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    We have a basement at work, so it's quite easy to walk the bikes through the front entrance, carry them down one flight of stairs and hide them in there ;)

I hang my top on my frame and it's usually dry by 5. I sweat a lot, so even if it's not 100% dry it doesn't fuss me.

For some reason our basement also has a wardrobe, so my work clothes trousers/shirts stay in there :)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I take the bike into the office and leave it in a stairwell about 5 metres from my desk. Wet clothes on the radiator next to my desk so on theory they'll dry by home time, assuming the heating's on! Otherwise damp clothes for the rode home.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    On topic however. My bike (Brompton for around base) lives in my office, any wet kit I have is usually laundered by the end of the day.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I ride in my work clothes and don't break a sweat. I used to do the superman thing (change in the loo) but decided that I can get to work in 5 minutes more and stay dry.
  • Could you not do your jersey change after the ride in, so you wear jersey 1 on the ride in, jersey 2 for the ride home and the next ride in, jersey 3 for the ride home and the next ride in and so on?

Means carrying a bit of extra luggage, but presumably you can dry your jerseys at home...

I'm lucky, I have my own office, so it can all be hung up in such a way that it dries, and I can whack the heating on for a couple of hours, then the aircon to cool it back down, obv. Or there's a drying room at the gym where I shower.
  • cycle top & underwear go on a coat hanger which hooks under my desk and hangs close to the PC box....the heat from that dries it from a dry ride....on wet rides I have a heater under my desk (cos the aircon in my office is rubbish) and I make a camp under the desk so all dries out nicely by hometime. I've been known to get a colleagues wet shoes & socks in my camp to dry out too on very wet days!! As for work clothes, I tend to bring in a few weeks worth of clothes in one go and have a locker in the basement, then trickle the dirty ones home as and when to avoid a heavy back on way home.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Trousers and shirt nicely folded in saddle bag, cycle to work, lock bike at work and walk 50m to gym (very handy), shower and change, into work, shoes under desk, hang stuff to air/dry, change and cycle home.

Possibly do some work in-between hanging stuff to dry and cycling home, occasionally.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I put all stuff on hangers and leave them to dry. This office manages to dry it all out pretty effectively, and I make sure I buy quick drying clothes (man-made fibres).

There are several showers in the office and secure underground parking, plus 10 miles of countryside to get to work.

I'm pretty lucky really :D
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    No shower, which is a bit smeggy but not a lot I can do about it. I keep a week's worth of clean clothes in the office and change in the server room and leave my clothes there to dry. Bike is kept in an office or in a corridor. Dress code for me is casual/jeans anyway but if I know I have meetings in the week, I will bring in sufficient ironed shirts.

Harder logistically is co-ordinating between my houses in Suffolk & Bow and my g/f's in Lewisham, ensuring that the right clothes and vehicles are in the right place at the right time :?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I just hang cycling clothing up in the office, it's pretty much always dry by the time it comes to ride home.

Socks/shoes are the exception, but I tend to leave a spare set of cycling socks in the office at least.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Could you not do your jersey change after the ride in, so you wear jersey 1 on the ride in, jersey 2 for the ride home and the next ride in, jersey 3 for the ride home and the next ride in and so on?

Means carrying a bit of extra luggage, but presumably you can dry your jerseys at home...

I'm lucky, I have my own office, so it can all be hung up in such a way that it dries, and I can whack the heating on for a couple of hours, then the aircon to cool it back down, obv. Or there's a drying room at the gym where I shower.
    Hmmm, office 13b on the third floor seems to have a very high energy usage. You'd think she'd be all energy saving and whatnot, what with her cycling in to work every day

What's a few kilowatt hours between friends :P
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Logistics are pretty good where I work. Cycle shed in a secure compound. Shower is a large wet room, with a large wall mounted radiator to dry damp stuff, plus a tumble dtyer. Two lockers for kit, one for work clothes one for bike stuff. Makes any wet or cold cycle in less painful knowing what is at the other end.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Could you not do your jersey change after the ride in, so you wear jersey 1 on the ride in, jersey 2 for the ride home and the next ride in, jersey 3 for the ride home and the next ride in and so on?

i can't believe i never thought of that......genius.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    dhope wrote:
    Trousers and shirt nicely folded in saddle bag, cycle to work, lock bike at work and walk 50m to gym (very handy), shower and change, into work, shoes under desk, hang stuff to air/dry, change and cycle home.

Possibly do some work in-between hanging stuff to dry and cycling home, occasionally.

Public sector obviously! :wink:
  • rjsterry wrote:

Hmmm, office 13b on the third floor seems to have a very high energy usage. You'd think she'd be all energy saving and whatnot, what with her cycling in to work every day

:lol:

Centralized plant, daaaaahling. It's on whether I use it or not!
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2010
    rjsterry wrote:

And two fingers up to carbon footprints eh? Without wanting to hijack the thread into a building services discussion, if you turn your radiator on, the boiler will have to burn more fuel to provide that extra heat, regardless of whether the heating system is centralised or not (most heating systems are centralised, that's why they call it central heating). Ditto for the A/C, although this is more commonly localised.

Even the chaps who hang their soggy kit in their server rooms will be putting a small extra load on their server room's cooling system, which will use more energy.

Anyway, don't you sit by a window? Couldn't you just open that instead of switching on the A/C?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    shower at work and I keep a pair of jeans there and shoes under my desk

I ride in in lycras, hang em up in the shower when I change

I bring in my shirt, socks and undercrackers in my saddle bag

Then I ride home in the same wet minging lycras that evening. I normally change into different kit once the bacteria in my present kit has evolved enough to express it's discontent at the smell of my shorts.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Without wanting to hijack the thread into a building services discussion, if you turn your radiator on, the boiler will have to burn more fuel to provide that extra heat, regardless of whether the heating system is centralised or not. Ditto for the A/C.

Even the chaps who hang their soggy kit in their server rooms will be putting a small extra load on their server room's cooling system, which will use more energy.

But surely the point is that all of this so-called "energy" comes from a finite source. If you don't get in fast, grab all that you possibly can, and a bit extra just to be sure, there might not be any left when you need it.

I certainly wouldn't want to be cold just to feel I was playing nice sharing games, that's for sure...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Ride in lycra. park bike at work, walk c 10 mins to gym for shower and then back. Hang lycra up near desk fans and it all dries out. Bring it shirt, boxers and socks each day - trousers and shoes at work all the time, rotate trousers on days I don't ride and feel like it.
    Lycra is all fine by home time.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    We have a shower at work between about 8 people who cycle regularly, plus towels. damp kit is hung in a wardrobe with an extractor fan, and dries out fairly well without the wardrobe smelling like a teenager's laundry basket. A very cost effective solution: 1 IKEA wardrobe + 1 Vent Axia bathroom fan = Bob's your uncle for less than £100. You do of course need a friendly electrician to wire it up, but still well worth it.

Spare par of shoes + a couple of shirts in another office wardrobe/under my desk and the rest brought in on a daily basis. Clean kit every morning (it proper mings by the time I get home).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    PBo wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Public sector obviously! :wink:

Investment bank ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I am lucky.

Although it's a bit tricky, I take my bike upstairs and keep it in an unused office. In the desk drawers there, I keep shirts, trousers, socks & pants. My shoes (well, veggie DM boots) are under the desk. I have three pairs of casual trousers I tend to use, but I have three suits as well, which I don't actually wear any more (the jackets are hung over an unused partition).

There's a chair I can drape a towel over, where I keep my 'washbag' - a carrier bag with shower gel & deodorant.

I use a big 'Bag for life' to carry my boots, clothes & washbag downstairs to where there is a shower. If that's busy, or I'm short of time, I'll wash in one of the toilet cubicles, which have (small) sinks. Fiddly, but possible.

Back upstairs, I drape my jersey over the bars, and my bibshorts over the top tube. My mitts sit on an unused printer. Shoes go under the chair, towel on the back.

OK, this is when it's dry. In winter, it could be colder or wetter. No problem. I have a stack of old newspapers. I stuff them in my shoes (and often replace them at lunchtime). I also use them to wring out my mitts/gloves. Of course, the boilers are on then, so I hang my clothes up in the boiler room next to the office where my bike is parked.

All works out very well. My clothes aren't necessarily dry when I put them back on, but my commute is only an hour, so it's not a really big deal so long as they aren't sodden.

Monday I bring in a towel (microfibre) (when i remember, that is - I forgot yesterday). From time to time I bring in clean clothes. Each day I take home the dirty stuff. Friday I take home my towel.

All seems to work OK.
    Riding on 531
  • I think I'm the luckiest so far.
    Large changing room with showers, lockers etc and 2 drying cabinets for wet clothes. Heated floor for drying shoes.
    Bikes live in a secure heated garage, next to the bike cleaning / maintenance station complete with workstand, hose, brushes, degreaser etc + track pump and basic tools.
    Plus we get prizes for most days cycled per month, and most km cycled per month. :D
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    hands down that's the winner so far

who do you work for?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Bobbygloss wrote:
    I think I'm the luckiest so far.
    Large changing room with showers, lockers etc and 2 drying cabinets for wet clothes. Heated floor for drying shoes.
    Bikes live in a secure heated garage, next to the bike cleaning / maintenance station complete with workstand, hose, brushes, degreaser etc + track pump and basic tools.
    Plus we get prizes for most days cycled per month, and most km cycled per month. :D

Council worker then?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Subsea 7.
    I think the main advantage is being in Stavanger though. And having a project director who is a super-keen cyclist.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

And two fingers up to carbon footprints eh? Without wanting to hijack the thread into a building services discussion, if you turn your radiator on, the boiler will have to burn more fuel to provide that extra heat, regardless of whether the heating system is centralised or not (most heating systems are centralised, that's why they call it central heating). Ditto for the A/C, although this is more commonly localised.

Anyway, don't you sit by a window? Couldn't you just open that instead of switching on the A/C?

But it's a blower... not a radiator. And my window doesn't open, 'cause of securideeeeee.
  • rjsterry
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Without wanting to hijack the thread into a building services discussion, if you turn your radiator on, the boiler will have to burn more fuel to provide that extra heat, regardless of whether the heating system is centralised or not. Ditto for the A/C.

But surely the point is that all of this so-called "energy" comes from a finite source. If you don't get in fast, grab all that you possibly can, and a bit extra just to be sure, there might not be any left when you need it.

I certainly wouldn't want to be cold just to feel I was playing nice sharing games, that's for sure...

Grabbing it all now is only any use if you have somewhere to store it. Grabbing it all and sending it up the chimney is wasteful whether you go in for carbon footprints or not. In most cases, that finite source will be a gas reservoir underneath Russia or something like that, so it's finiteness isn't really an issue to LiT (in the short term, but in the long term will become a very big problem indeed). Heating is generally gas-fired or electric (although there are a lot of other options). LiT has probably got 'comfort cooling' rather than full A/C (which has humidity control as well), but either way, that is all electric as well.

With LiT's fan heater, there will be a fan (electric) and a heat source (hot water pipe or electric element). If the heater isn't used, that's no fan, plus either less gas burnt to replace the heat lost from the pipe into the room, or the heating element switched off.

I'll shut up about this now.
    Pinnacle Monzonite