Programmers

2»

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I work in C++ on unix, still use sybase/oracle from time to time. dabble in java/perl/powerbuilder(rip)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • C++ here too, realtime desktop stuff - tho nowadays spend most of my time on management BS.. er.. I mean, "the joy that is leadership, project management and HR".. meh.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    RML380Z - Research Machines Limited, 380Z. A fine machine of the mid 80's, mostly running CP/M as I recall.

The first machine I ever programmed was an RM Link 480Z. Wrote some pretty simple games and quizzes using BASIC. Probably 1982 or so. I recall one of the first things I learnt was to add "10 ON BREAK GOTO 20" at the start of my program, to be really annoying and make it slightly more difficult for people to break out. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    VBA :D

Fortunately I don't have to do much real programming myself, there are others more clever than I for that, I just tell them what I want programmed...
  • Not a programmer but do work in IT systems / support. Currently just deployed Hyper V into our environment.

Seems my role has moved to MS products (exchange, hyper v, terminal services, windows servers etc) and any hardware issues / projects. Become a bit of a HP hardware master.

Used to dabble in PHP / Perl but not anymore.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    python currently.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    guilty as charged.

A good mix of whats listed already....didn't think anyone else was still maintaining COBOL apps!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I'm not as old as some, not as young as others but I've managed to accumulate a bit over the years: COBOL, DL/1, CICS, MANTIS, IMS, JCL, EARL, REXX, CLIST, PERL, VB (various incarnations), PL/SQL, T-SQL, PHP, JavaScript.
    1992 Dave Yates Diabolo

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation. Those who look upon it have survived it: they are its product and its victors"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Bits of C# and ASP as SharePoint Dev, tend to be able to read enough of most things to think I can understand and tweak.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I have a Computer Science and Economics degree (mainly C and Java) but thought screw that for a laugh and turned to commercial property instead, so as a chartered surveyor the most I do is a little fettling in VB.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I am a masseur in a posh Cotswold health spa.

Not strictly on topic but I was feeling a bit left out...
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    schweiz wrote:
    Graduated in 2000 and have worked with software ever since but not written one line of code in anger. In fact I got through my finals with only answering one question that involved having to write a program, I hate coding with a passion.

I'm in a similar position, graduated 2005 but haven't done any real dev work since uni as Dev really is the devils work as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

Currently working in a QA/Test role for the company I work for. Doing a bit of Java but mostly working in the companies own proprietary language. (Which is woeful and has no tool support but put on us from the powers that be)

Proprietary languages, if anyone ever mentions one to you just say no! :evil:
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • anton1r wrote:
    schweiz wrote:
    Graduated in 2000 and have worked with software ever since but not written one line of code in anger. In fact I got through my finals with only answering one question that involved having to write a program, I hate coding with a passion.

I'm in a similar position, graduated 2005 but haven't done any real dev work since uni as Dev really is the devils work as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

Currently working in a QA/Test role for the company I work for. Doing a bit of Java but mostly working in the companies own proprietary language. (Which is woeful and has no tool support but put on us from the powers that be)

Proprietary languages, if anyone ever mentions one to you just say no! :evil:

Do you really prefer QA / Test over Dev work? :shock:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Perl dev here, I can probably be persuaded to code in other languages as necessary.

But meh, this isn't a CV and I don't feel like listing :p
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    blah... blah...

Well yeah I do, mostly because my dev skills are weak/I'm not interested in it. Though to be honest I'm not overly interested at QA either. Just trying to find a job I can do with my Computer Science degree that's not Dev/Network Admin/Tech Support.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    anton1r wrote:
    blah... blah...

Well yeah I do, mostly because my dev skills are weak/I'm not interested in it. Though to be honest I'm not overly interested at QA either. Just trying to find a job I can do with my Computer Science degree that's not Dev/Network Admin/Tech Support.

Come to the poncy world of Business Analysis. It's great over here.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX