Programmers

brucebanner
brucebanner Posts: 256
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Just wondering what portion of this forum has people working in computing.

Any fellow programmers in here? I'll start. I'm C++ dev.

It helps that we have a somewhat moderate dress code, i.e., no suit.

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Dabbled in C++ but frankly it's a lot of effort for not much reward unless you're writing realtime apps.

Mainly VB or C#, T-SQL and PL/SQL.

Used to write in assembler, but when you do that all you want to do is write an assembly programme that makes it easier to write a programme without using assembly.
  • Technically an IT consultant, but actually doing product R&D for our Electronic Systems Group for the last year or so. Mostly Java at the moment, but I also work in C#, PL/SQL and occasionally C.

I try to steer clear of C++.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    C#, T-SQL, PHP, MySQL and used to do Classic ASP.

Where I'm working on site just now has a dress code. No suit necessary but dressed more smartly from the jeans/t-shirt that was allowed when I worked there full time.

They do have a dress down Friday though.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Errr....wot?

I did a little Turbo PASCAL at uni...but I was able to quit <<sniff>>

Frankly, that's it and I'm glad...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    asquithea wrote:
    I try to steer clear of C++.

IIRC the guy that write C++ said it was a joke that went too far.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    C/C++ for hobby (GoldenCheetah), SAP 'architecture' for work.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I did VB.NET , ASP.NET , C, and a bit of Java at University. My final year project was writing an IT Helpdesk system in ASP.NET

That was three years ago though and I've since been working as an IT technician.

Would love a job programming in either VB.NET or ASP.NET
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    Programming in and writing books (Pro Spring 2.5 and others) about Java EE (especially the Spring Framework), Groovy, Grails by day; Objective-C and microcontroller C and assembly for fun by nights and on rest days.

I'm the TD, so we're extremely bike-friendly company, have showers and can keep the bikes in the server room. Shame about the 1k limit on bike to work, but a few people in the office managed to get pretty nice bikes on the scheme.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Moi.

Been working as a software dev for nearly 10 years now.

I get meddle around in many different technologies and languages, but we're fairly focused on python/django for now. We're pretty keen on anything open source, which is cool, but means I don't get to play around with expensive things like Oracle ;)
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    liversedge wrote:
    ...SAP 'architecture' for work.

That bloody program has made my last two jobs pretty much impossible!
    Rules are for fools.
  • Use to sit in front of a screen staring at code for 8 hours a day. Spent lots of time with Ada, C/C++, Fortran, Haskel, Sisal, LISP, scheme, Pascal, Java, Perl, Python, Forth, Prolog, Bourne shell (yes it is a language) and various assemblers.

Nowadays I just diagnose and and implement work-a-rounds when badly written software bring the systems down to a grinding halt :roll:. Thank god for dtrace!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    C# and Jave here.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Pure C mostly. Having been a C++ dev in my last couple of jobs I kinda miss the object-ness and clever inheritance type tomfoolery. Still I'm not sure how many people would argue that c++ made for better code.

Very casual where I work. Not so casual I can step from my bike directly to the desk, but at least I don't need ironed shirts and the like.

15 mile rural commute, shower, flexi-day, cycle scheme, then the ride home is excellent (although there's normally a headwind across the Severn Bridge) and I'm struggling to find reasons to change jobs.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    HTML, C++, ANSI-C, play with PIC assembly (lovely language).
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Dont work in IT and never would. Im an open source developer with the NetBSD project, Rails and Ruby. I like Ruby and Perl because im strange like that.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Not a programmer but work in IT. Infrastructure support. Currently setting up a couple of Hyper-V clusters.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Live support but spend a lot of time writing apps in Java for other teams to use. Good thing is when I get bored programming I can then go back to my other role and vice versa.

Have dabbled in VB, dotNet, Unix Shell Scripting, Tcl, Perl, php, C# but funnily enough never any C or C++.
    Steve C
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    BEng in Software Engineering

At Uni learnt...

ADA
    C/C++
    Java / Java 2.0
    Visual Bodgeit (sorry Basic)
    68000 Assembler
    PIC Assembler
    SQL
    Z for formal definition

Graduated in 2000 and have worked with software ever since but not written one line of code in anger. In fact I got through my finals with only answering one question that involved having to write a program, I hate coding with a passion.

Currently work as a Compliance Verification Engineer for an aviation company ensuring compliance to DO-178B (Airborne Software), DO-254 (Airborne Complex Electronic Hardware) and DO-160 (Environmental Qualification)
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    My name's James and I'm a programmer... C++ for too many years, with scripting & VB for quick & dirty stuff. Now working in C# and finding that it knocks the socks off C++ for programmer efficiency and accessible power - love that LINQ - without the perpetual dangers of C++. Doing the IT for the office means fiddling with VMWare, networking & hardware as needed. Uni was Pascal and Java; SQL's a given.

Our office has a strictly casual dress policy - you could turn up in a lava lava and no one would bat an eyelash, but a tie or collar would be considered weird.
  • never mind C++ get a load of these codeblocks

scousebyooty.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Java, c# or jsp/html/javascript depending on the day of the week. Did know C++ in my youth but that was a long time ago.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Started with FORTRAN IV, then FTN77. Been through C, C++, Pascal (& Delphi), Smalltalk. Did a little Java, VB/ASP and C#.Net.

These days, I'm pretty much all PHP & JavaScript, having ended up developing Web apps rather than desktop and server apps.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I make things look pretty.
    But i know some java, javascript, SQL and ASP.NET
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Program proprietory control systems (somewhat C like) in the very high end residential market place - basically sit in the middle and offer one unified control interface for all the heating, lighting, AV, security etc.

Demanding work, but fun.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I've just submitted my first app to the Apple App Store.

I'm old enough that my CV mentions Pascal and Occam, but not so old that it mentions Cobol.
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    rml380z wrote:

I'm old enough that my CV mentions Pascal and Occam, but not so old that it mentions Cobol.

Clearly, if you were old school enough, you'd spell COBOL in all caps :)
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Quite. COBOL is on my list in various flavours - 74, 85, Microfocus. Add the usual suspects - C++, C#, VB old + .Net base, Oracle, MS SQL Server, and a bit of ASP.Net, PHP & MySQL for playing wiht.

I only learnt that lot after I used an Excel macro for SC Stats V1.0.0. :)
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I'm not a programmer, currently work in Support for one of the big banks (yes, that's right, one of the banks that broke everything and left everyone with no money).

I bet nobody else here works in dev/support on a Unisys IX mainframe system.

(those in the know will now be able to work out which bank I am employed by)
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    janm399 wrote:
    rml380z wrote:

Clearly, if you were old school enough, you'd spell COBOL in all caps :)

Yes, I hold my head up with pride for not being that old!

Funnily enough, I did spell it first all in capitals, and then I thought Occam should be spelt all in lower case and I couldn't remember how to capitalise Pascal, so I just spelt them all as names.
  • RML380Z - Research Machines Limited, 380Z. A fine machine of the mid 80's, mostly running CP/M as I recall.

For my sins I've been writing code since the 1977, I started young (honest), on anything from 4 to 64 bit processors and in more languages than I care to remember. I was one of the people that brought the world the Spectrum and the QL. Please done hate me, they served a purpose in their day :D

Moores Law has been correct in predicting the massive increase in processing power of computers, I'm always a bit dissapointed that we actually need it in order to run a desktop computer.

Nick