Iconic Sporting Moments

Comments

• Ireland beating the sh1te out of England 43 - 13 at Croke Park 2007.
    Oh how we laughed :lol:
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    1979 British 500 GP Silverstone, Barry Sheene/Kenny Roberts; I was eleven when I watched this on the TV (think it was live) and after that all I wanted in life was to be a road racer.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    edited September 2010
    For me the standout memory of any sport is Pantani up Les Deux Alpes in '98 while Ullrich bonked hard and got very cold, with Riis looking decidedly irritated and also cold. That single stage got me into cycling.

Pantani98.jpg

I also vividly remember waking up to see the final laps before Damon Hill won the '96 world championship in Japan.

That night in barcalona '99.

Also, Holland going out to Brazil in the '98 world cup semi's penalties.

And similarly, Sneijder's celebration when he scored the winner to knock the Brazilians out this year.

102827hp2.jpg
  • Few spring to mind

Jim Calders try for the Scottish Grand Slam in 1984 and Tony Stangers in 1990
    Ayrton Senna's crash at Imola in 1994 - I can still see it etched in my mind
    Redgrave's 5th Gold medal
    Sidney Crosby's Goal at 7:40 in OT in this years Winter Olympic Final - you couldn't write that script.
    The Summit Series between Canada and the USSR in 1972 - I've worn out my videos watching this over and over again, Paul Henderson's goal is still a piece of genius.
    Robert Millar winning at Guzet Niege stage 11 of the 1984 Tour, it's what started my love of cycle racing.
  • Barry McGuigan winning the World title - I was with friends in Dublin, mightily drunk.

Eamon Coughlan winning the 5,000 mtrs World Championship ('85?) - coming round the last bend, looked at the leader, smiled at him, shook his fists in victory then passed him like he was standing still.

Stephen Roache '87 - 'nuff said!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Less a moment, more January to April 2003 supporting Sheffield United.

All these moments in order

- Beating Liverpool at Bramall Lane
    - Michael Brown scoring a fantastic volley against Wednesday
    - Beating Burnley 4-2, we conceded twice but never looked like losing
    - Beating Leeds to reach the FA Cup Semi Final (made better 'cos my Grandad was there too)
    - Going to Old Trafford to watch Sheffield United play Arsenal
    - Winning the play-off semi final in extra time after being 2-0 down.

It went downhill from there and is now the reason why I hate the Millenium Stadium. And Wolves

Someone is waiting to hear a better answer

carlos-tevez_1234986c.jpg

Sorry for bringing that up. Nothing personal, but as a West Ham fan I just can't stand Sheffield Utd.

(I have no interest in debating it. I had two years of that).
    Twitter: @RichN95

• And similarly, Sneijder's celebration when he scored the winner to knock the Brazilians out this year.

102827hp2.jpg

I see your Sneijder and raise you De Jong

837645-nigel-de-jong.jpg
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Nadia Comaneci, Romanian gymnast, Montreal Olympics, 1976, and the confusion from the commentary team as the scoreboard showed "1.00", because it had not even been designed to display the perfect "10" score.

Julie Moss. 1982 Hawaii Ironman finish. Google it.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Julie Moss. 1982 Hawaii Ironman finish. Google it.

Now that goes to the heart of the debate.

I love sport but Mrs P just doesn't get it.

I see in that clip many of the most stirringly essential elements of all sporting drama. Mrs P would say indignantly: "what an idiot! why is she doing that to herself! it's only a game!".

Mind you, I don't understand the appeal of Jane Austen at all and everyone tuts at me for that. :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• rick_chasey

Pfft, jealous English. Like you'd care if that was Barry in the World Cup final.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    This has made me remember so many other ones!

+1 for Michael Thomas at Anfield in 1989

and Gavin Hastings missing a penalty against England in the 1991 World Cup semi-final from right in front of the posts.

Went up to the loo and can remember hearing my Dad downstairs screaming "Nooo!"

Rob Andrew had just stuck England in the final 9-6 with a drop goal.

Remember big 'Broon frae Troon' right after the match talk about Hastings' miss.

Summed it up perfectly saying "sorry big man, ye blew it.."

• I see your Sneijder and raise you De Jong

Pfft, jealous English. Like you'd care if that was Barry in the World Cup final.

Jealous? I'm more German than I am English, which is the reason I support them during the World Cup! I did want Holland to win though. I like their style of football, namely kicking people.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • For me the standout memory of any sport is Pantani up Les Deux Alpes in '98 while Ullrich bonked hard and got very cold, with Riis looking decidedly irritated and also cold. That single stage got me into cycling

I was on Les Deux Alpes that day, 17 years old and my first tour. Rained most of the day but the sight of Pantani flying up and Ullrich in bits was a pure delight. Say what you like about Pantani, but he could climb. That day will live in my memory forever.
  • rick_chasey

Jealous? I'm more German than I am English, which is the reason I support them during the World Cup! I did want Holland to win though. I like their style of football, namely kicking people.

German?

You should be hating the Dutch more than anyone else!

We both know another Germany Holland final is necessary. (for a little payback :wink: )
  • rick_chasey
    For me the standout memory of any sport is Pantani up Les Deux Alpes in '98 while Ullrich bonked hard and got very cold, with Riis looking decidedly irritated and also cold. That single stage got me into cycling

I was on Les Deux Alpes that day, 17 years old and my first tour. Rained most of the day but the sight of Pantani flying up and Ullrich in bits was a pure delight. Say what you like about Pantani, but he could climb. That day will live in my memory forever.

Wow.

How empty did Ulle look?

In fact, how was Pantani looking? To me it looked like he was in some dark unhappy place, albeit one where he felt no pain.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    March 1967 Scottish Cup
    Celtic (the team that went on to be the first British Club to lift the European Cup) 5
    Queen's Park (the Amatuer Glasgow side) 3.

Great day - it wasn't settled until Celtic scored their 5th goal late on (Bobby Lennox, I think).

-Spider-
  • For me the standout memory of any sport is Pantani up Les Deux Alpes in '98 while Ullrich bonked hard and got very cold, with Riis looking decidedly irritated and also cold. That single stage got me into cycling

Wow.

How empty did Ulle look?

In fact, how was Pantani looking? To me it looked like he was in some dark unhappy place, albeit one where he felt no pain.

Honestly, he came past very quickly, hunched over the handlebars (on the drops). It's no wonder he looked like he was in some unhappy place, he was - it was raining, misty, cold and third mountain of the day. I suspect he was suffering, but in that good way. To paraphrase him, he rode quickly up mountains to shorten the suffering!

Ullrich on the other hand looked like he could've been overtaken by a granny, although I suspect was still going up at a reasonable pace. His face was empty, I remember that.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    edited September 2010
    the 1996 'spice boys' cup final

hilarious from start to finish :lol::lol::lol:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Bad:
    Bradford City Fire – 85.

Good:
    Watching The Tykes did beat Sir Alex's side in an FA Cup fifth round replay at Oakwell in 1998.
  • Olympiastadion, Munchen, May 30th 1979.

First half injury time, and John Robertson swings over a cross from the left wing, that is met by Trevor Francis who heads the ball from a tight angle in to the roof of the net.

The only goal of the European Cup final and one that gave Nottingham Forest our first European Cup win, and convinced a ten-year old Forest fan that Brian Clough truly was a genius.
    --
    Chris

Road ride: Univega Via Laser
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Lots of golf moments - Seve winning the Open at St Andrews 1984, Sam Torrance sinking the winning put to win the Ryder cup in 1985, Sandy Lyle's shot out of the fairway bunker at 18 to set up the birdie that wins the 1988 Masters.

Not a fan of Woods but this has to go on the list for the crowd reaction and the sheer implausibility of the shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDCGGMv50EQ

Carlos Alberto's famous goal at the 1970 World Cup.

Evans crossing the line to take the strade bianche stage in this year's Giro must be up there too.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    I appreciate it will hardly be in the memory of many a football fan but for me:

The 1996 Division One playoff final. Leicester City Vs Crystal Palace.

Picture this: It's 1-1 after 90 minutes and in to extra time. I'm behind the goal that Leicester are attacking. There's about 40,000 more Leicester fans around me. I've had a few beers. I'm feeling good. Australian Željko Kalac (Goalkeeper) comes on, on 119 minutes as Leicester manager Martin O'Neill believed that due to Kalac's size, he would be able to save penalties during the shootout. Kalac was a bit dodgy then and every Leicester fan is preying that the ball goes nowhere near him. I'm preying too.

On 121 minutes, only seconds left. Then in slow motion the ball drops to Steve Claridge who is nickered, dead on his feet, socks round his ankles. He swings his right peg and the ball hits his knee! It rolls down his shin, and flicks off his foot, into the top corner of the goal from 20 yards.

We go crazy! The Foxes are promoted to the Premiership!
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Tonight hopefully :D
  • Five Nations decider 1990 Scotland v England - Scotland walk on to the pitch and promptly shove a big one up the backside of the single most arrogant team in sporting history.

Redgrave's 5th Gold.

Archie Gemmill's goal against Holland.

Haile Gebreselassie 10,000m in Sydney 2000.

Liz McColgan 10,000m 1986 Commonwealth games in Edinburgh.

Derek Redmond in Barcelona 1992 - truly heartbreaking.

One I wish I'd seen - Emile Zatopek 1952 winning th 5K, 10K and marathon; something that will never, ever be replicated.
  • + 1 for Derek Redmond in 1992. Makes me cry to watch it
    Not lost, just exploring...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Fans of big, successful football clubs have no idea what it feels like for the rest of us whenthings like this happen! Iconic to a few thousand people....

In contrast this miracle was probably seen by millions around the world, when the New England Patriots were trying to win Superbowl XLII to have only the second unbeaten season in NFL history. Best bit from 1.18 in

And with some parallels to cycling a hero later tainted by drugs revelations
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pneumatic wrote:
    I hate to say it but a goal scored by Mark Hughes in a European final had me off my seat with admiration for the build up and the finish. It was at that point that I realised that it was possible to admire the enemy at work. Can't remember the year, but some MU diehard fan (from Truro) will probably put me right.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if a certain Gooner is still looking for the finer details...

1991. European Cup Winners Cup vs Barcelona. United 2 - 1 Barcelona (Hughes 2, Koeman). Hughes' goal where he rounded the 'keeper about 6 yards out, but almost in line with the corner flag 10yd mark was a stunning effort. To hit it with power and accuracy to find the net and beat the retreating defender was awesome.

I'd like to add:

Kevin Keegan throwing a wobbly live on Sky.
    Schumacher and Hill various.
    Michael Johnson in his gold runners.
    United's last gasp victory over Bayern Munich in the 1998 CL Final.
    Pantani vs Armstrong on Ventoux
    Jonny Wilkinson's drop goal vs the Big Heads in the 2003 RWC Final.
    United's penalty shoot out win over C****** in the 2008 CL Final and John Terry slipping.

Not iconic, but I quite enjoyed standing on a bar stool in Sydney and singing 'Swing Low Sweet Chariot' when England knocked Australia out of the 2007 RWC.

And possibly controversial: Eric Cantona dishing out a bit of Jackie Chan to a Neo-Nazi Crystal Palace 'fan'.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Ben6899 wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:
    I hate to say it but a goal scored by Mark Hughes in a European final had me off my seat with admiration for the build up and the finish. It was at that point that I realised that it was possible to admire the enemy at work. Can't remember the year, but some MU diehard fan (from Truro) will probably put me right.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if a certain Gooner is still looking for the finer details...

1991. European Cup Winners Cup vs Barcelona. United 2 - 1 Barcelona (Hughes 2, Koeman). .

Blimey, was it as long ago as that?! No wonder I was feeling magnanimous:

a) we had just won the league for the second time in 3 years
    b) at that point Moan Utd hadn't won the league for nearly a quarter of a century!

Makes you think, doesn't it, Liverpool fans! :D

Anyway, how could I have forgotten? :shock: :

1979 Wembley. 5 mins to go 2-0. Final minute. 2-2. Gooners in shock. Alan Sunderland collects a cross at the far post and slides it into the net. Just lipread his delight :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Michael Jordan - Game 2 NBA Final series 1992.
    Playing against Clyde Drexler, a player often compared with Jordan, Michael dominated from the start and the game was over by halftime. He finished the half with 35pts and 6 threes.

John Bertrand and the crew of Australia II winning the Americas Cup from Dennis Conner in 1983 after 132 years.

The Swans winning the 2005 Grand Final after a 72 year drought.
    Watched this with my 71year old father, he had waited a long time for this.

Jonah Lomu stomping over Mike Catt in the 1995 World Cup semi-final.

The 4x100m Freestyle Mens at the 2000 Olymipics.
    The Aussies smashing loud mouth yank Gary Hall Jr like guitars. ;)

I'm sure I could think of another 50 given time.... but that's a start.
  • Daley Thompson whistling the national anthem when he won his gold