Iconic Sporting Moments

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Borg vs McEnroe - Wimbledon final seemingly every year of my childhood

Hill being blocked by Schumacher in Adelaide (and Mansell going on to win despite being a fat knacker)

Mansell giving Senna a ride on his sidepod (watched that one in the flesh at Stowe corner)

Mansell chasing Senna down after his puncture at Monaco but being powerless to retake the lead

and a +1 for Wilkinson's kick, the last sporting event I watched with my Dad - I never saw him more elated.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    watcing the rugby league team i love dearly wining back to back titles 2009 and 2010 at wembley for the first time in the clubs history, because i was there and for this year i dragged my dad along with me.
  • http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z0GMBaSoOOM/R3-RCZWy9yI/AAAAAAAAAs8/zbh8SMmzzxc/s400/gavin-henson-matthew-tait.jpg

Sits back, content with post................decides never to return to thread in fear of reprisals

is it 2 men getting jiggy?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Cooper putting Clay on his back
  • ...Michael Johnson winning his 200m Olympic Final.....

....Tiger Woods awesome comeback and sinking putt on 17th vs Bob May in USPGA - fantastic radio.....

....O'Sullivans 147 in about 4 minutes during a world championship....

....England V Argentina when Beckham was sent off and we fought valiantly - it had everything.....

.....Botham, Graham Dilley then Bob Willis and Botham....you know when...amazing
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    dmch2 wrote:
    Daley Thompson winning decathlon gold in 1984 (I got the big G boys, the big G!)

+1 for that - the BBC did a 5 minute summary of that Olympic Games with Spandau Ballet's "Gold" as the backing - so many good things at that games

David Hemery winning 400m hurdles by 8 metres at Mexico Olympics

Steve Redgrave's 5th Olympic gold in Australia - watched it at about midnight while on holiday in Canaries

And how has no-one mentioned Cav's amazing sprint to win the final stage at this years Tour :shock:
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • tackleberry
    tackleberry Posts: 81
    edited September 2010
    Red Rum winning his last National in 1977 - makes me well up just thinking about it! He was 30 when he died y,know! In the 5 Nationals he ran in he won 3, came second in the other 2! In any other race he was a proper carthorse, but not at Aintree! Has any horse won it twice since then - errr....no!

Jason Robinson going over in the WRC final 2003.

Ian Botham clean bowling Viv Richards at Headingley in late 1970's. Sure we were creamed but Viv had 2 of his stumps uprooted. Still don't know how that happened.

Banks save Eng v Braz 1970. I heard he flipped the ball over the bar with his little finger, also Pele shouted "GOALLL!" as soon as the ball left his head!

T

Ohh yes and Cav's final sprint TdF final stage, one sec camera is laongside Petacchi and then on the other side there goes the our boy! Awesome!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cav wise it has to be MSR!
  • Watching the champions league final between Liverpool and AC Milan.Two of my mates put £25 each on Liverpool at half time when they were 3-0 down(odds 80-1).I'm not a Liverpool supporter but the ensuing drama was amazing despite my failure to share in their good fortune.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Cooper putting Clay on his back
    good one. has anyone mentioned maradona yet?
  • Anonymous
    Yes, me...
  • The Searle brothers beating the Abbagnales in the '92 olympics has always stuck in my mind.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Jonathan Edwards triple jump in 1995 amazing so far in front of everyone, I think he still holds the world record.
    Michael Johnson 2000 olympics
    sally gunnel hurdles olympic gold
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Ali v Frazier - 1975 ' The Thriller in Manila'

Start at Part 7 - then go through to Part 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUjBOgZxbao
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Watching the champions league final between Liverpool and AC Milan.Two of my mates put £25 each on Liverpool at half time when they were 3-0 down(odds 80-1).I'm not a Liverpool supporter but the ensuing drama was amazing despite my failure to share in their good fortune.

I can see why that might have been somewhat interesting.

Out of interest... How many of these type of bets do they usually win?
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Pompey thrashing the scum 4-1 at Fratton Park 24th of April 2005, and doing it again at St Mary's this year in the FA cup.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z0GMBaSoOOM/R3-RCZWy9yI/AAAAAAAAAs8/zbh8SMmzzxc/s400/gavin-henson-matthew-tait.jpg

Sits back, content with post................decides never to return to thread in fear of reprisals

Remember that tackle well :) But still remember him doing it to a Llanelli player whilst making sure he threw him into the advertising hoarding :( I treasure memory of the ensuing rumble that took place and Henson running to hide behind some forwards when some Llanelli players came over to display their displeasure at what had just happened.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Klammer Innsbruck.
    Clay Liston
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    forgot one:

The Women's curling team winning gold at the Winter Olympics.

Frankly, on paper, it was the most unlikely event to catch my imagination; but I almost cr@pped myself with joy when they did it! :lol: :shock: :oops:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Rossi winning the championship on the M1 after moving from the all donminating RCV211.

Rossi on the above RCV211 getting a 10 second penalty to be added to his finish time for overtaking under yellow flags and just getting his head down to a 15 second lead meaing he still won. Never has someone proved in that moment to have such dominance over everyone else.

David Jefferies at the TT. Quite frankly anywhere but the IOM he was a nobody but on that island he was god IMO. such a tragic loss to the event when he was killed.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Roger Federer falling to his knees after winning Roland Garros last year.

The greatest player I've ever seen, his legacy would have seemed incomplete if he'd failed to win the French Open so I took delight in his victory and the sense of his elation and possibly relief was captured in that moment.

For me, a true sporting great.
  • jim453 wrote:
    Mike Powell in the 91 world championships in Tokyo. Powell and Lewis brought the very best out of each other in the long jump. Powell beats Beamon's long standing record in the long jump, 8.95m. Still stands. Respect.

Good shout, remember it well and it was superb.
  • Berwick Rangers beating Glasgow Rangers in 1967!!!!! I know cos' I was there, poems and songs were even written about it. Never seen so many abandoned scarves after that match. :D
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • Steve Larkham potting a goal in the dying seconds of the World Rugby Cup in 1999 which got Australia into the final ...as the ball sailed through the posts his face had the expression of pure joy.
    Watching the ball being passed to Jonny Wilkinson and then the almost slow motion inevitably of him unerringly kicking the winning goal...sob. Whats happened to Jonny? A superb athlete.
    Sydney Olympics. mens 100m freestyle relay which the yanks had never been beaten in ever. last lap and big mouth Gary Hall is about 5m ahead. Ian Thorpe chased him, drew level and beat him by a few hundredths of a second.
    Navratalova leaving Wimbledon for the last time and bending down to take a blade of grass with her.
  • Less a moment, more January to April 2003 supporting Sheffield United.

All these moments in order

- Beating Liverpool at Bramall Lane
    - Michael Brown scoring a fantastic volley against Wednesday
    - Beating Burnley 4-2, we conceded twice but never looked like losing
    - Beating Leeds to reach the FA Cup Semi Final (made better 'cos my Grandad was there too)
    - Going to Old Trafford to watch Sheffield United play Arsenal
    - Winning the play-off semi final in extra time after being 2-0 down.

It went downhill from there and is now the reason why I hate the Millenium Stadium. And Wolves
  • 1996: Scotland missing a penalty and Gazza vollying a spectacular goal from the resulting clearance. :lol:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Daniel Larusso beating Johnny Lawrence in the final of the 1984 "All Valley" Karate Championship.
  • the football match in 'Kes'.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Anonymous
    Garry H wrote:
    Daniel Larusso beating Johnny Lawrence in the final of the 1984 "All Valley" Karate Championship.

+1, especially due to his leg injury inflicted in the semi final by Lawrence's teammate, then aggravated by Lawrence in the final.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

+1, especially due to his leg injury inflicted in the semi final by Lawrence's teammate, then aggravated by Lawrence in the final.

Lawrence was technically the better of the 2 but Larusso went to the well that day. I believe they are making a docu/drama about it with Will Smiths kid.