Circuit of Kent - Sunday 12th

musto_skiff
musto_skiff Posts: 394
Anyone got a GPX file of the route?

Comments

• I found one of the 2009 route

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 3598085082

The start and finish look different to the route on the website though.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Doubt you'll need it very well sign posted and marshaled. Also in all the years I have done it have never ridden a single mile alone.
  • Cheers .... route says 140km but that track is 80 miles ... :?
  • Gazzaputt
    Route isn't 140k it is 130k.
  • Shortish, but a very good little sportive.
  • Well that was fun ... first Sportive I have done this year.

I was grovelling up that final hill; pleased with my 4:04:00 for the 130k.
  • HI GUYS I HAVE JUST FOUND THIS SITE TODAY 12TH SEPT AFTER DOING A FANTASTIC BIKERIDE AROUND STAPLEHURST FRITTENDEN MARDEN AREA ALONG WITH LOADS OF OTHER BIKE RIDERS I WAS NOT IN THE RIDE BUT I WENT FURTHER THAN I WOULD HAVE DONE NORMALLY I HAVE BEEN RIDING NOW FOR SOME 20 YEARS TIME TRIALS AND ROAD RIDING AND MOUNTAIN BIKE RIDING MY PASSION. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE IT STARTED AND HOW DO I GET TO RIDE FOR NEXT YEAR CHEERS GUYS ANY HELP BE MOST WELCOME

PETER
  • Gazzaputt
    Great ride yesterday enjoyed. Just missed gold which I was gutted at. Realised the time was taken at the bloody traffic lights at the A229 junction.

Think though some improvement could be made.

Energy products at the feed stations and instead of soup at the finish maybe a pasta dish. Lovely baguettes again though. :D

One Tree Hill. Carnage when I got there. I'd caught a lot of the 80k riders and a lot were struggling to walk let alone ride up it. Got my head down and in 39x26 rocked up. Maybe next year I will stick my compact on to make life a little easier.
  • p.levett the details of the event are here http://www.kentcyclosportive.co.uk/

No times yet for this year; how long do they usually take to get the times out?
  • That was my first sportive, loved it - cheers to the organisers and to the weather. Some fun and games due to a rogue green sign for another event sending a few of us the wrong way going into Yalding, but luckily sense of direction prevailed. Also a muppet 4x4 driver was stubbornly clogging Yalding high street, both for cars and bikes - 'a failed psychology test' as another rider quipped. Gutted that I couldn't do One Tree Hill after 128k, I live nearby and train on it
    - get out of the saddle for the first section then drop into the small ring for the steepest part - but after 5 churns the legs locked solid with cramp and I fell sideways into the (actually quite comfortable at this point) mud bank. Couldn't stand for two minutes but walked up the hill, remounting just in time for the photo :) Pleased just to finish just after 6 hours, given that the longest I've ridden before is 50k - although molten soup may not be the best post-event drink!
  • Gazzaputt
    Times are up. Fastest 130k was 3.17 :shock:

Me thinks this person took the 80k route.
  • Times are up. Fastest 130k was 3.17

I think I finished my 130k *at* 3.17...pm :wink:
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

That is an average of almost 27mph. :shock:

I was surprised reading the times. I rode in the lead group having started in the first 30 or so and our group was lead by a motorcycle marshall for at least 100k.

We never stopped for any food and we only lost sight of 2 people who went up the road.

My time was 29th fastest so there must have been some pretty fast riders who started late; I'd have through that getting past all the slower groups of bikes would have hampered fast guys who started late so I'm pretty impressed with the guys who went under 4 hours and didn't ride in the lead group.

PS: What is the A,B.C & D thing?
  • It gets worse Rick!

The A,B,C thing is age categories, the guy who did the 3.17 is in the 50-60 year old category.

A great day for us category C people. :lol:

Interestingly. on a percentage basis, my time put me lower in Cat. C than in any other category.

Life in the old dogs yet!
  • What is B then?
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

It was someone called Duncan Urquhart. Looks like he's a semi pro:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/routes/e ... uhart.html
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Road Red wrote:
    It gets worse Rick!

The A,B,C thing is age categories, the guy who did the 3.17 is in the 50-60 year old category.

Interestingly. on a percentage basis, my time put me lower in Cat. C than in any other category.

I'm an old dog well in the 50-60 cat and did 3:59, 11th over all. Some of the group i was riding with were in the 60-70 cat and were only 3 minutes slower. They had CCCP in white letters on red jerseys.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Thank you Rick i have found the site great help have bookmarked the webb site ready for next year, i am sure that the ride is one did some 12 years ago was great then hope to be able to ride it again next year thanks for your help

Peter
  • Road Red wrote:
    It gets worse Rick!

I'm an old dog well in the 50-60 cat and did 3:59, 11th over all. Some of the group i was riding with were in the 60-70 cat and were only 3 minutes slower. They had CCCP in white letters on red jerseys.

Nice ride; what time did you guys start?
  • Gazzaputt
    Road Red wrote:
    It gets worse Rick!

I saw one of these guys riding the wrong way early in the ride in the CCCP kit!

Take it back about the fastest time chapeau to the fella. Average 27mph bloody hell!

Road Red, Duncan it says in Cycling Weekly is 35!

Urquhart-Ride-132.jpg_e_6275a6ba4f35281e5d55c04adf914e28.jpg
    Lives: Watton, Norfolk
    Status: Married to Claire. Three sons Andrew, George and Charlie, plus Milly the Jack Russell
    Best result: KOM jersey wearer Tour of Britain 2004. Won Tour of Pendle 2005
    Hobbies: Spending time with his family
    Philosophy: Give it everything

"I'll do this route two or three times a week, and then I have other variations in the area. I don't really analyse my training that much either. The majority of the time I just go on feel and just look at my average speed. When I start averaging 23mph that's when I know I'm going to be up there. It's 22-22.5mph, at the moment, so I'm not too far away."

In a year he'd increased his average to 27mph! I need to train more :wink:
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    edited September 2010
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

That is an average of almost 27mph. :shock:

HOLD UP ... I've done my sums wrong ... :oops:

80 miles @ 3:17 = 24.4mph average ....

That looks achieveable and very impressive.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Road Red wrote:
    It gets worse Rick!

Isnt it 24mph average?

I saw one of these guys riding the wrong way early in the ride in the CCCP kit!

Take it back about the fastest time chapeau to the fella. Average 27mph bloody hell!

Road Red, Duncan it says in Cycling Weekly is 35!

Urquhart-Ride-132.jpg_e_6275a6ba4f35281e5d55c04adf914e28.jpg
    Lives: Watton, Norfolk
    Status: Married to Claire. Three sons Andrew, George and Charlie, plus Milly the Jack Russell
    Best result: KOM jersey wearer Tour of Britain 2004. Won Tour of Pendle 2005
    Hobbies: Spending time with his family
    Philosophy: Give it everything

"I'll do this route two or three times a week, and then I have other variations in the area. I don't really analyse my training that much either. The majority of the time I just go on feel and just look at my average speed. When I start averaging 23mph that's when I know I'm going to be up there. It's 22-22.5mph, at the moment, so I'm not too far away."

In a year he'd increased his average to 27mph! I need to train more :wink:
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • See above ... yes 24.4 very quick for that route; top ride.

• Nice ride; what time did you guys start?

9:13. We didn't start with CCCP, they must have latched on somewhere
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo

• Nice ride; what time did you guys start?

9:13. We didn't start with CCCP, they must have latched on somewhere

I started at 9:03.

What is the best thing to do in these events to find some nice groups, start early or late?

I had in my head that a late starter would have been held up having to work past slower early starters but clearly that is not the case.

I suspect the 3:17 guy started in the first wave and just did a horizon job ...
  • Gazzaputt
    I went at about 9.10. Good groups formed straight away although at one stage I think there was about 17-18 riders in the group and only 4 of us doing turns on the front.

Good groups until 2nd feed stop then no-one. Caught plenty up that were riding the 80k but didn't see any other 130k groups..

Only guy I rode with after the feed was out on his Sunday ride and rode the last 15k with me before turning off before One Tree Hill.

Desperately needed a group in that headwind of the last 30k. To drop from a average 20.7 to 19.2mph was gutting.
  • I think The timekeepers have made quite a few errors. Looking at the photographs I would say that AT LEAST 6 of the fastest riders of the 130km have been put on the wrong results sheet. I could be wrong and i apologise if you are one of these riders and its a true time. Maybe this can happen if people change their minds during the event and decide to do the shorter route.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I think The timekeepers have made quite a few errors. Looking at the photographs I would say that AT LEAST 6 of the fastest riders of the 130km have been put on the wrong results sheet. I could be wrong and i apologise if you are one of these riders and its a true time. Maybe this can happen if people change their minds during the event and decide to do the shorter route.

I'm inclined to believe that.

Here is my trace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48660235

This is the first Sportive I've done this year; did one last year which was a puncture fest and I suspect loads of people opted for the shorter route who had entered for the longer one; this lead to loads of people recording times that were 30mph averages.

I know these are not races so perhaps they shouldn't bother with timing if they are going to have difficulty seperating people who do different routes.

Why do they bother with timing?

I'm inclined to believe that.

Here is my trace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48660235

This is the first Sportive I've done this year; did one last year which was a puncture fest and I suspect loads of people opted for the shorter route who had entered for the longer one; this lead to loads of people recording times that were 30mph averages.

I know these are not races so perhaps they shouldn't bother with timing if they are going to have difficulty seperating people who do different routes.

Why do they bother with timing?

Because for many riders they are races or at least time trials. Riders enter because they want to be timed so they can see how fast they did it and to compare themselves with other riders and themselves from previous years. Anyway, the results page is revised a few times as they sort things out. They should say on the web that the results are provisional as other sportives do.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo